Author Topic: Flowers - for cutting  (Read 3927 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re: Flowers - for cutting
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2005, 17:42:45 »
 :-[ I just looked at the picture on the seed packet. The ones I grew this year are called Autumn Beauty. They produced about 4 flowers on each plant and when I cut one off a week or so later another flower appeared, ranging in colour from golden to red, here's a picture of one
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2005, 17:49:08 »
Wow fabulous ! I would love to be able to grow plants like that !

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2005, 17:51:21 »
Derek, tomorrow is my big seed sort out, I'm pretty sure I've got some seeds left over and if I didn't order autumn beauty I think I ordered something similar, if you want to try some I'll happily send some your way. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2005, 18:48:33 »
My flowers won't necessarily be for cutting, more for general enjoyment and pleasurable moments pottering about the lottie.

Going to grow lavender (I'm assured this guarantees a slug free plot - GUARANTEES !!  ;D ), Delphiniums, Foxgloves, Poppies, Marigolds and a drift of sunflowers.  Want to get some Borrage (?) or was it Comfry - its the one with small blue flowers, apparently v good for liquid feed.  Going to plant a few pots (troughs if I can get them) with ornamental grasses (blue, red and fabulous seed ones, forget their names  :( )

Also got some violas which will look FABULOUS when frozen into icecubes for my G&T  :D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2005, 18:59:22 »
That is extremely kind of you Jesseveve, but I have made a list, and I am going to do something which I have been finding rather difficult, that is go SHOPPING . I will just wait until the sales have died down a bit, and Wilko's have got their seeds in ...

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2005, 19:10:52 »
DtF we grew some small dwarf bush type sunflowers, up to 6 flowers per plant, they cut quite well and filled up some spaces in our borders.
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2005, 20:09:55 »
Thank you Delilah, yes my allotment neighbour grew something similar, he had staggering success. I have noted them on my list ...

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2005, 20:48:58 »
I've got lots of spring/summer bulbs and perennials as well as a few shrubs in various beds around our allotment - just because I love to grow absolutely anything and they look good, but for actually cutting my tops for perfume are carnations/dianthus, sweetpeas and lavender and for impact in a big vase then it's gladiolii, delphiniums and irises - love lilies in the garden but can't stand the scent or that of chrysanths.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2005, 23:36:59 »
I decided that 2006 would be a flowery one for me.  After the voles ruined my runner bean crop this summer I figured that area would be ideal for flowers.  I have masses and masses of seeds of different things, but definately fancy some 'everlasting' or dried flowers like static.  I already have 2 rows of daffs in the plot, and I tend to grow sweetpeas with my beans but am really hoping to be more organised this year and not just cram veggies everywhere, just for the sake of it.....a few flowers here and there does the heart and soul good!  I always grow sunflowers in and around my pumpkins, and poppies and foxgloves seed freely and I leave them to flower.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2005, 22:28:26 »
Thank you for all your replies and suggestions, lots to think about!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal