Author Topic: Leeks  (Read 7159 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Leeks
« on: December 26, 2005, 09:41:06 »
OK, now that business is over we can get back to veg  :)

When is the earliest I can plant leeks.  My packet says March but mine were a little bit diddy.  Can I sow now or soonish indoors to try and get them a bit bigger next year?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 09:44:50 »
I sow them in Jan or Feb, in a tray or modules and leave them in there until it's a bit warmer, say April.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 09:58:03 »
What strain did You grow RC? ..Jim
Cheers .. Jim

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 10:07:43 »
Musselborough this and next year plus I also have another couple of varieties to grow this year as well.  I will have to dig my seeds out and let you know.

I have loads of Musselburgh (got it right this time) and some Autumn Poristo.  I also have an old unopened packet or Organic Wilkos Carentan with a sow before date of December 2004.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 10:22:51 by redclanger »

RosieA

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 10:31:55 »
I sow them in Jan or Feb, in a tray or modules and leave them in there until it's a bit warmer, say April.
I grew them like this and they were good.

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 11:20:33 »
OK, now that business is over we can get back to veg :)

When is the earliest I can plant leeks. My packet says March but mine were a little bit diddy. Can I sow now or soonish indoors to try and get them a bit bigger next year?

I dumped the whole packet of seeds in a tray last year, was told on here that I might struggle separating them to get them in the ground but managed to grow quite a few big 'uns. However, it was nowhere near this time of year - I'll be interested to know how you get on.
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 12:19:05 »
Following this with interest, haven't grown leeks before but they are one of my fave veggies so would like to grow some this year :)
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 12:22:31 »
Your 2004 leek seeds should be OK as You say they are unopened....
I am told leek seeds will keep for 3 years or more..
Musselburgh is what I grow and You should get em to a goodly size...
Leeks need manure not fresh but well rotted if You have any dig it in where they are going..Or grow them where You manured for a previous crop ..
This is way I do it....I set mine in March usually, I use a deepish seed tray as  they are in it for a while.
I use  a gritty seed compost as in John innes num 1 and 2 mixed together roughly 50/50...I tried a multi purpose one but didn't get same results and it was a pain sifting lumps of koya or peat or whatever out of it..
Some of the stuff  I got out looked like tufts out of a brush .. :D
I leave em in seed tray to grow till they are about 8 or 9 inch long  maybe longer and just a bit thinner than a pencil...I then harden em off...
To plant  em out I rake a bit of blood fish and bone into row where they are going .I suppose if Your a vegetarian you could miss this out..
Then I dibbles a hole using half an old spade handle sharpened at bottom wabble it about so top of hole is wider than bottom drop in one of my leek plants  leaving about an inch of the leaves  showing above hole and then fill hole with water.... I don't back fill the hole with soil ...I just leave it .. When plants start growing I water them well at soil level. .
 This will be an interesting thread if others put the way they do it because I think we will find the top and tailing popping up..

I think i digressed there R C  ;D  To answer your question yes You can set em now but You will need heat and prob need to pot your plants on into 3 inch pots as it's gonna be a while before You can set them  outside..Jim..

Cheers .. Jim

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 12:32:04 »
Thanks for the comprehensive advice Jim - might set some in Jan as an experiment but delay the bulk until Feb - early March.

Delilah, if they are one of your faves and you have never grown them then you must.  They are one of the veg where the difference between what you grow and what you buy is most marked.  I have been able to directly compare my leeks with a tasteless unamed variety bought from Tescos this week.  Mine may not have looked so neat but the difference in taste was amazing.

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 12:50:30 »
I have contemplated the same thing - partially for the reasons that Jim gives in that they stay in the trays for a long time so occupy a lot of space in that respect - the answer is yes they can and I think they do do well doing in this was.  My trouble is I do not have anywhere stale enough to use as a seed bed yet.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 14:15:31 »
I have traditionally sown my leeks in March, a February sowing would definitely ease my sowing regime. I generally plant three varieties, an early, main season and a late season crop. Could these all be sown early?

Derekthefox :D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 14:56:27 »
I've always sown mine direct and have had great results, the one season I planted them in modules was the worst harvest to date. I'm really beginning to think that the less care I take, the better.. ::) Though that's probably just me being me...

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 14:59:39 »
I have had poor results with modules too, I plant mine in a deep box, eg an ice cream container, so the roots have plenty of room to grow. Teasing them apart afterwards is a bit fiddly though, something to relax on a bench with cup of coffee and take my time with ...

Derekthefox

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2005, 15:12:21 »
I sow in those big mushroom punnets around March then plant out around May. Dib a hole and wash them in.

They are fine for Christmas but even better a couple of months later when there is not much about.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2005, 15:14:03 »
i didnt start my leeks until about may, had them in a pot and neglected them some until about late august, then planted them on the plot. they are now all 'baby leek plus' size - had some for xmas dinner - yum! i dont really like the full grown version so much so little leeks suit me fine. (plus i have to juggle with space on my plot...)
they are the only veg of note left - that plus the broccoli will keep me going...
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2005, 16:10:33 »
Yes when I have picked all the main leeks in a row, there are normally several which are small, ie about half inch diameter or less. I pick all these as a bulk lot and they make delicious soup, or cooked whole in the oven.

Derekthefox :D

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2005, 16:18:58 »
I start my leeks in Febbo and looking out of the window I still have half a dozen in the ground LOL, think it largely depends on your location RC.. I am told that south wales has similiar weather to torquay so maybe thats why I can plant out in February.. also cover with agricultural fleece just to be on the safe side..

hope this helps?

ozzy

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2005, 16:53:35 »
I grow mine much the same way as Jim, when I manage to get it done (I didn't get them in last year and was reduced to buying plants). I can never get them to that size in a tray though.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2005, 17:02:25 »
I sow my leeks in march in a corner of the herb bed  In June when I have lifted my first bed of second earlies, I fertilise and limed the ground and then transplant the leeks into the 2nd early bed 6inches each way.

MikeB

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005, 10:11:19 »
Then I dibbles a hole using half an old spade handle sharpened at bottom wabble it about so top of hole is wider than bottom drop in one of my leek plants  leaving about an inch of the leaves  showing above hole and then fill hole with water.... I don't back fill the hole with soil ...I just leave it .. When plants start growing I water them well at soil level.

I've heard of this before, I planted leeks for the first time last year and looking this morning have some the thickness of my arm and some the size of pencils (most have been eaten and tasted wonderful). This generally reflects my varied soil quality). However my plants are quite shallow and not very white 2-3 inches blanched. will using the dibber method increase the blanched area and (silly question time) wont the leeks rattle round in a hole to big and be susceptible to frost?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal