Author Topic: Whats happening to my??  (Read 2043 times)

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
Whats happening to my??
« on: December 23, 2005, 12:45:29 »
Yo peeps

left this plant (which I believe is a Ficus, but not so sure) for a few days and it now has these brown spots on a few leaves... the lant was indoors but no heating etc on a north west  facing window sill...

Ficus? ? ? ?

heres a closer look at the leafs

every other plant is doing fabbo.. so any help advice is gonna be very much appreciated...

many thanks in advance

Ozzy

:-* :-* :-*

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Whats happening to my??
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 14:38:52 »
Hi Ozzy.  Yes, it's a Ficus, but I've never seen this sort of damage on their leaves before, they are normally quite tough.  I would guess that it's frost damage if it has been in a north facing window in an unheated room and I'd suggest moving it somewhere warmer at night.  The only other thing I can think of is has anyone been spraying furniture polish or the like near it?

G xx 
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 14:51:52 »
yo Georgie

mahn thank you so much.. frost damage? is about right.. and LOL at furniture polish..  (hangs head in shame) I polish  When the moon is in the seventh house
and jupiter aligns with mars.  The peace will guide the planets and love will steer the stars
this is the dawning of the age of aquarius...........the age of aquarius  LOL  ;)

deffo frost damage then Georgie thanks a lot and any advice about how to treat a frost damaged ficus will also be greatly appreciated

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers georgie now i have a starting point LOL

ozzy

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 15:39:47 »
Ok.  Never leave it on a cold windowsill overnight again.  Remove the most damaged leaves (careful, they may drip a milky sap) and wipe the remaining leaves over with a damp cloth once a week to allow the leaves to get the most of the light.  In the sping you could consider cutting out the growing tip to encourage bushier growth but this is a messy job due to the sap.  I've never tried this but I gather you can use some warm candle wax to seal the 'wound'.  You could also try potting on the growing tip and with luck you'll end up with two plants.  Good luck.   :)

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 18:39:36 »
Georgie... mahn cut the leafs off? god that so makes me cringe... u sure its the only way?... hw about cutting out the damage?... tis is my plant mahn and want to do whats right.. same way as one would do a pet dog/cat.. really am reluctant to cut the whole leaf

ozzy

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 19:39:42 »
Oh Ozzy, you big softy!  You don't have to cut the leaves off if you don't want to.  You could cut out the damage or just leave them be.  I always remove damaged leaves because I think it allows the plant to concentrate on growing healthy ones but it's entirely up to you.  I'm afraid there is no 'cure' as such.

G xx

Aeeeek

• Not So New ...
  • Fifi Forget-me-not rocks!!!!........
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 20:39:01 »
hmmmm... me thinks this is the leaves getting cold water/condensation on if the brown bits are soggy or 'chewy' then it will be, once damaged will never go back , go on be a devil chop them off!!, it's only like trimming split ends, it'll feel better for it .

was very popular Victorian Era plant so quite enjoys cool rooms and will withstand draughts too,  usually thrive best in these situs , rather than modern central heated houses with dry air which tend to crisp leaf edges on ficus types..

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 20:59:55 »
Just been looking at a houseplant website.

This is a quote from it.

Leaves With Brown Edges Compost has been allowed to dry out, it should be kept moist but not soggy at all times. Cold air can have a similar effect.

The website is :-
http://www.susansgardenpatch.com/gail3.htm

Hope that helps.
The_snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 10:10:57 »
WOW thanks peeps for the advice and am about to cut the leafs off.. funnily enough this plant got blown of the window sill a few months back and the top snapped off, but it still came back good if you look at pic you can make out where the recovery point/points are... never ceases to amaze me this growing malarky..

once again thank you all for your help in this matter

ozzy

;D ;D ;D

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 11:41:49 »
:)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 09:38:04 by GREENWIZARD »
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 11:48:11 »
WOW

have cut the leafs off and first time I ever saw sap weep from a plant, was amazing... me Ficus is now in recovery and thanks a lot peeps speshly georgie for all your help here...  oh plant now lives in front room which has a south facing window ;)

ozzy

:-* :-* :-*

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 14:32:41 »
Hey Ozzy, careful it don't get sunstroke.   ;)

G xx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal