Author Topic: Elephant garlic  (Read 9448 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Elephant garlic
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2006, 16:55:56 »
I noticed Homebase selling elephant garlic over the weekend. Their garlic's rubbish, but maybe this will be better.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2006, 18:00:36 »
I plant as many garlic bulbs as I can ... even Ahmeds' garlic that he says is 'the best' one year, and turns out to be 'the worst' the next year!

I've been growing elephant garlic this/last year too. Doesn't look like anything an 'elephant' could have produced yet ... but I suppose it's only January!

I keep mine all year round by whizzing it all up in a blender with olive oil and storing it in the fridge. Delicious  :)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2006, 18:10:37 »
1st time for me too...really looking forward to harvesting as last years crop (not elephant) was dire to say the least ;D

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2006, 20:14:28 »
I keep mine all year round by whizzing it all up in a blender with olive oil and storing it in the fridge. Delicious  :)

What a good idea Trixiebelle, will try that if I do well with my garlic
MM

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2006, 00:12:41 »

What a good idea Trixiebelle, will try that if I do well with my garlic
MM

Isn't that supposed to be a TERRIBLE idea? :o  Botulism and all that? Or am I thinking of something else.. ::)

Daisy_Jane

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2006, 11:41:07 »
Thanks Larkspur, I will put it out this lunchtime..

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2006, 12:52:38 »
Storing garlic is a bit of an issue for me. It doesn't seem to keep as well as onions. After a bit the cloves develop brown patches and lose their juiciness. I'm not sure storing it in the fridge would be a good solution longterm but I had the idea that maybe doing Trixiebelle's thing with the olive oil and the blender and then freezing it in an icecube tray would give (n)ice cubes ;) for adding to whatever was being cooked. What do you think?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2006, 15:25:37 »
Storing garlic is a bit of an issue for me.

Remember that diff. garlics have diff. storage properties - Early Wight, f'rinstance,only 2-3 months, others store longer, so something to factor in when you buy.

maybe doing Trixiebelle's thing with the olive oil and the blender and then freezing it in an icecube tray would give (n)ice cubes ;) for adding to whatever was being cooked. What do you think?

Better idea and worth a try? Spect just enough oil to make an emulsion, tho? Anything's better than storing it in the fridge for more than a week, say.

Cheers!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2006, 15:31:52 »

Isn't that supposed to be a TERRIBLE idea? :o  Botulism and all that? Or am I thinking of something else.. ::)

[/quote]

REALLY????? OOOPS  ::) IGNORE MY RECOMMENDATION!!!!!

SORRY .... Trixie XXX

The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2006, 15:45:38 »
I remember having a jar of salad dressing (o/oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper & crushed garlic) lurking in my fridge once for a couple of weeks when I went on hol. The garlic was growing this grey/white mould when I returned  :o

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2006, 20:15:14 »
:D You do not need to do anything special to store Elephant garlic. It is almost indestructible!! Dry off well and keep in dry, cool conditions. It will last for a year in good condition with no pests. I even have some that is 18 moths old and was left in an unheated greenhouse, and it is still useable!!
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2006, 20:21:10 »
Ah I have planted MArco and THermidrome. Perhaps I shall also plant Elephant Garlic. Thanks for the advice Real Food!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2006, 21:45:22 »
Storing garlic is a bit of an issue for me. It doesn't seem to keep as well as onions. After a bit the cloves develop brown patches and lose their juiciness. I'm not sure storing it in the fridge would be a good solution longterm but I had the idea that maybe doing Trixiebelle's thing with the olive oil and the blender and then freezing it in an icecube tray would give (n)ice cubes ;) for adding to whatever was being cooked. What do you think?

Storing garlic in the fridge longterm is definitely a bad idea as the atmosphere in a fridge is very damp and it will eventually rot or go mouldy. To store well, it needs to be cool and dry. What type of garlic are you talking about? Some store better than others.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2006, 21:48:04 »
Don't know what sort Trixie Bell is talking about. I'm talking about the ones I mentioned in the post before yours : Marco and Thermidrome

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2006, 23:18:48 »
This thread is actually supposed to be about elephant garlic!!!!
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2006, 23:35:08 »
True, RF :)

Hard to remember sometimes that elephant garlic isn't garlic at all 8)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2006, 10:45:02 »
Ah my mistake! I always assumed that it was just a larger and blander version :-[ Sorry :'(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2006, 16:27:13 »
To all practical intents and purposes it is, but botanically it's closer to the leeks.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2006, 17:43:38 »
Humbly agolopise :) But thanks for all the advice. :)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2006, 17:48:15 »
I know this is off-topic, grawrc, but where does your username come from? I always hear it as "Grawrc!" as in the vultures in the Jungle Book or a giant parrot. Or is that just me? :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal