Author Topic: Elephant garlic  (Read 9450 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Elephant garlic
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2005, 11:55:57 »
I am sure there is a lot of fascinating history and legend to do with that garlic and its association with the Albigensians and the Cathars. The Languedoc is a source of a lot of heretical material for those who are interested, Rennes Le Chateau being the most recent. I certainly find this subject captivating, but have never discussed it out of sheer respect for others beliefs. I think I have seen some references somewhere to garlic as symbolism ... the cloves being representative of the moon etc.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2005, 12:18:09 »
I read 'Holy Blood and Holy Grail' when it first came out, and was totally unimpressed; the most historical site for the Cathars is Montsegur, where the last of them held out. The castle fell in 1244, and a couple of hundred people were thrown into a vast fire. The last known Cathar was executed in 1321.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2005, 15:02:04 »
That book was very controversial, and chose challenging material in order to establish itself. Other people have examined a lot of the history of Southern France and it is in deed fascinating when removed from all the hype and glamour of the so called grail trails ... Along the same lines, there is another thread running, talking about the influence of the moon cycles on planting. If looked at as variations in local gravity, and the astrological links are removed, then this becomes fascinating material too, as it may appear that old traditions had serious wisdom that we have discarded as old wives tales.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 13:18:55 »
I know that mine are only the small ones, but it distresses me, as a first time user, that I plant this huge thing & it doesn't grow. What a waste??

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006, 13:24:23 »
I haven't planted mine out yet (its too wet on my plot) and started them off in trays in a cool room about a week or so back- it took just 3 days for them to show 1/2" of decent strong root growth. I've put them outside next to the house now, until conditions are a bit better.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2006, 14:28:14 »
Well mine have about two inches of green shoot showing, so I will take that as an encouraging sign ...

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2006, 14:36:39 »
I have 'normal' garlic showing about three inches of growth - planted between the rasps and rhubarb about 8 weeks ago.  Can't remember what variety - the half price with all the other bulbs in the garden centre variety.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2006, 18:25:13 »
What's going on with yours then, Tim?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2006, 19:55:26 »
I'm just looking at it, Robert, & thinking I could be safer using it now rather than letting it rot in the ground!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2006, 21:17:24 »
May I humbly suggest Tim, that a suggestion like that hints of a defeatist attitude to me, which I definitely cannot believe ... !!!  ;) Do you have any cloches ?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2006, 22:22:45 »
Screw your courage to the sticking post and plant it. You'll end up with a lot more garlic if I'm not very much mistaken.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2006, 06:50:15 »
Yes, Derek. Yes, Derek!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2006, 10:36:03 »
I'm with Robert and Derek here, Tim! Get it in!! Odd, tho..last year, from my identically sized cloves planted in the same prepared soil, had several whoppers - and about 3 runts. No idea why..

Planted my garlic, elephant garlic and red onions last Autumn - all through and all looking good.

btw - is the clove home-grown, or from The Garlic Farm?

Cheers!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2006, 12:02:18 »
The latter. Not something I've ever tried before. A present!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2006, 16:43:42 »
The latter. Not something I've ever tried before. A present!

Tell you what, Ower Tim...belated Birthday present an' all that :-*..plant yer clove, as per suggestions above, and I'll send you one of my HOME GROWN, 2005 bulbs to cook..

Now, it's not going to be one of my Extra-Specially Large Ones, you understand (Ones that measured 6 on the Richter Scale when I lifted them??)Just one, oh, I dunno, 'bout  "that..."...quite minor really..

...but the French lady's recipe I got from the Beeb Boards for it will be Mega!!

You on, then????

Lishka xxx

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2006, 16:58:51 »
ON!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2006, 17:23:51 »
OK THEN MATEY!!

(and I heard you Loud and Clear...)  ;D

Right then...due to the Govt's Drive to Get Us All Walking due to the closure of local friendly PO's, may now be Monday before I can get to hike to a place to post it........the bulb may be 'minor' in the scale of Elephant Garlic size, but a 'major' concern when it comes to ramming it through the only surviving post-box........

And do you want The French Lady's recipe for it??

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2006, 17:39:06 »
SVP!

Daisy_Jane

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2006, 13:30:15 »
Oh no, I didn't plant my garlic in the autumn, ended up eating the stuff I bought for the lottie in December.... just bought some new cloves from the garden centre. Should I put it in now (soil is very wet and there's not much light to make it germinate) or should I let it sprout in pots by the window  ???

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2006, 15:39:16 »
Mine's in modular pots in a cold greenhouse and growing well. I should put it into pots if I were you not into cold wet ground. No need to put it on a window ledge, a cosy place outside will do (perhaps the base of a south facing wall ).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal