Author Topic: Control of Club Root Desease in Cole Crops (Brassicas)  (Read 3642 times)

mrchapagain

Control of Club Root Desease in Cole Crops (Brassicas)
« on: January 20, 2006, 14:00:16 »
Dear All
I would like to introduced myself as a involved person in the Sustainable Agriculture (SA) and Rural Development (RD) thought Nepal.

Since last three years Nepalese farmer are facing vast problem in the Vegetable Production by the Club Root desease in Cole crops (cruciferous vegetables like Cabbage, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cauliflower, Kale, kohlrabi, Radish, Rutabaga and Turnip. ) . Clubroot is a serious soil-borne disease of Cole crops by the fungi Plasmodiophora brassicae.

I would like to request all of you to forward me control strategy of this decease in you area. Sharing your idea will be very helpfull for Nepalese Farmer.

Hope that getting your knowledge sharing.

Looking forward.
M. R. Chapagain
mrchapagain@noac.com.np

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Control of Club Root Desease in Cole Crops (Brassicas)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 16:23:29 »
No cure for this but there has been some chatter about raising the ph level of the soil by adding lime to minimise its effects, putting bits of rhubarb (which will cotrarily lower the ph) in the planting hole when seedlings are planted or by raising the plants for longer in pots so that they have better developed roots.  The last two only seem suitable for small scale growers though.

I wish you and your fellow farmers all the luck in the world.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 16:48:01 »
If you use the 'search' function on this site, you will find some useful references, including this one which mentions other plants that act as carriers for club root: http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=28&topic=621.msg6301#msg6301
One elderly plantsman I knew used the rhubarb leaves as mentioned by redclanger.
Good luck in your search and treatment of the problem in your part of the world  ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 16:51:54 »
What's trypically grown in your part of the world? Are crops rotated? If Cole crops are grown on the same spot year after year, that's almost inviting the disease to take root. Are they a traditional crop?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 17:41:36 »
Another option is to sterilise the soil. One of our allotment holders uses Jeyes Fluid (no he doesn't it's not allowed any more :-[ :-X) routinely 3-4 weeks before planting brassica.

Crop rotation is of course the tried and tested method but the rotation probably needs to be longer than the standard 3/4 years.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 17:58:44 »
Planted mine into water bottles with tops n bottom cut out  and filled with compost..thanks Premtal...and they are doing well, I have even got Brussel Sprouts this year! :o
On my site one chap tried digging a trench, filling it with compost then liming, you should see teh size of HIS sprouts, he was absolutely thrilled!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 19:10:45 »
An excerpt from a study on production techniques to where a site has a history of clubroot disease (Plasmodiophora brassicae):
Crop rotation is essential, brassicaceae should not be grown in the same place each year - a minimum 3 year cycle is recommended. The optimum alkalinity level to help suppress clubroot is at pH7.2 to 7.5. Test pH levels and in the example of a soil of pH6.0, apply lime once in autumn at a rate of 550/m2 in the area. Repeat liming in each brassica area every year, and check pH level every 3 years. Identify and remove any weed hosts such as hairy bittercress and shepherds purse, also ornamentals like wallflowers.
Don’t sow the brassica seed direct into the soil; instead sow away from the production area in fresh sterile soil.  before sowing, sterilise this propagation area using steam, maintaining a minimum 90 degrees celsius for 30 minutes to a depth of 20cm. Prick out the plants into 12cm pots when the plants have 2 or 3 true leaves, burying the stem as deep as you can without the leaves touching the soil. Only ever water from the bottom, and trim off any roots emerging from the bottom of the pot. This will encourage them to form a good, strong fibrous root system.
Grow on in the pots until they have a stem diameter of around 6mm and are around 20cm high. Before planting out onto the site, ensure that there is good drainage. The spores of the disease prefer wet conditions, and can be killed by heat. Lighting fires on the area to be used for brassicas may help, also repeated cultivation in warm dry weather. Don’t dispose of brassica waste by composting; burn it.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 19:14:25 »
Jenny where do you get this level of information from? It's just fabulous. I'm really impressed and BTW
this is NOT my usual tongue-in-cheek stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal