Author Topic: First day on the lottie  (Read 6490 times)

iain

• Half Acre
First day on the lottie
« on: December 18, 2005, 00:10:00 »
Hi all, well I managed to get to the lottie for the first time
The first thing was plan where to start ::), I have covered a part of the plot with plastic, the soil seems really good, need to get so lime as it is acidic soil (sorry if i spelt it wrong)
I will keep you informed how I am doing, I will be taking it easy.

Iain
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 15:51:22 by iain »

terrace max

• Hectare
Re: First day on the lottie
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 08:43:12 »
Don't lime the bits where you want your spuds Ian. In fact, most veg like a slightly acid soil. I just lime my brassica beds....
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 08:48:43 »
Yes Iain, this is where your health and happiness start, unfortunately I have never mastered the wealth aspect ...  ;D

Derekthefox :D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 09:25:02 »
I have not actually kept a balance sheet, but ignoring my time, because it is a labour of love, my plot is definitely in the black. I have ignored the cost of the tools, as they are trivial in my mind. Over the past 5 years, I would estimate I have spent £500 max on my plot, including rent etc? We have only supplemented our vegetable intake, due to gaps in supply, and failed crops etc. I cannot imagine that as hobbies go, it is not one of the cheapest on the planet ...

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 11:07:07 »
On a strict balance sheet basis, if you garden organically I reckon you may just break even.

But I like to factor in some other savings: no gym membership, no psychotherapist and no (never again) divorce proceedings! Also there is the ecological saving: if you grow most of your own stuff you are helping the planet in a big way! :)
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 11:31:15 »
Does it cost less to garden organically?  The seeds cost about the same don't they.  Then there's the saving on pesticides.  You'd be buying manure either way

I was more thinking about the exorbitant price of organic produce in the shops. You can pay £2.20 for 2 organic chicons. Cost of mine growing in the greenhouse maybe 10 pence? The saving is much less on things like carrots, though. So I reckon it might just balance up...

Manure? Bleugh! Never use the stuff any more. Home made compost is cheaper, cleaner and just as effective.
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 11:39:43 »
Ooo eck Wards, you gettin me worried!! As of last week, one butternut spuash in Tesco £1.99 .....reasons for me, similar to Max....fresh air, exercise, knowing that there are no nasties lurking in my veg, keep sane (that's going bit slow, I have to say.. ::)), kids love it in short bursts, and no divorce again either cos can just stuff OH's mouth with fresh veg when he gets bit lippy... ;D
Well done Iain!! Off to a flying start, hope you enjoy..

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 12:29:34 »
Awww Don't Wards!! Seems to me like you need to practice a bit of denial.....just as your brain is scooting round the edge of a tricky subject.....flick it round really quick and point it in a different direction, like the "ooo I must go feed the birds..."or something....and don't look back!! Takes some practice, but is very handy!! Actually I don't think I want to know!! I'd have to tell OH and he'd just look really smug, my justification for pootling to the plot is how much money I'm saving us!!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 12:44:19 »
Thought for today: any calculation of 'real cost' which does not include a value for the supporting ecosystem, which enables the economic activity to take place at all, is invalid...

Lottying is NOT justifiable in conventional economic terms. But that's because economic convention, which regards the planet's resources as infinite, is a crock.
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 13:52:34 »
Talking of gyms, my wife pays hundreds to belong to one, and only goes to the allotment when I've got a barbeque. Go figure, I can't.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 15:15:57 »
What System, Wards....Oooo must go feed the bats.. ;D ;) Am trying not to remember I have a system, or it may lead brain to wondering why I have a system.....

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 15:46:37 »
I disagree with your costing comments on the carrots terracemax ...
I planted 3 packets of seed, total cost £2.50. No added nutrients or other materials. Total crop in excess of 100kg (estimated). Plus about 3 weeks of carrot thinnings, which a pure delight to us, as they are consumed with aioli at a phenomenal rate ...

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2005, 16:48:22 »
Yeah, but you're good at this gardening lark...
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2005, 17:32:44 »
Gosh, if only that were true ...

undercarriage plan

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 15:00:32 »
Beautiful cake , Wards, and do hope your niece feels better soon...I made a cake once upon a time, it still lives on in family myth....it had 1" of marzipan all over, weighed about 10kg, 1" of icing all over and to top it off, I covered it in large yellow daisies, bout 2" thick....I was soooo pleased!! Have been since told that my cake baking skills are nolonger required... ;

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 16:31:29 »
I am the opposite Wardy. I have an allergy to almonds and dont like icing anyway, so prefer my fruit cakes 'au naturelle' ... even removing the marzipan leaves the taste, which makes me shudder. I have two cakes at work maturing, to be consumed through January, all by me alone ...

undercarriage plan

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 16:37:25 »
Did feel dreadful though, cos a the time, I was sooo proud, but didn't eat any myself! I'm not completely daft! Watched the whole family eat it, with the most wonderful fixed smiles on their faces, but obviously desperate not to hurt my feelings.....though that soon changed when i offered the following year, to quote my bro......"I will destroy your oven if you even think about it...."  :-X

undercarriage plan

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005, 18:04:49 »
But Wards, I've made a special one just for you!!!  Postie shold be staggering up the path in the morning..... And cos you're such a special matey, I've added extra icing.....pic would be nice.. ;D ;D ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2005, 18:39:36 »
I know this will come as no suprise but I cannot stand Christmas Cake.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 18:42:55 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

undercarriage plan

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005, 18:53:24 »
 :o :o :o Oh dear,  you not going to be a happy sandman either then, though no need to show me your bottom.....a simple no thank you would have sufficed.......  ::) ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal