Author Topic: Hoe, Hoe, Hoe Merry.... (Need a little help)  (Read 12565 times)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Hoe, Hoe, Hoe Merry.... (Need a little help)
« on: December 17, 2005, 02:28:09 »
Ok no pun intended honest.

I need a little help with a Hoe problem. It is going to be one of my christmas presents. I an stuck between the two. I have done endless hours of research on the internet for a push pull type hoe and have come up with the stirrup hoe.

This one is a fixed stirrup hoe and is about £11 inc post and packing.
http://www.stirruphoes.co.uk/

This one is not fixed. It is a ossilating stirrup hoe and is arond £22 poundish.
http://www.blackberrylane.co.uk/toolshop2.html

As you can see they are just the heads. I am not interested in the wolf type because you have to buy THERE handles and they aint cheap. These take the commanal garden type wooden hoe handel which is what I was after.

Any advice or thoughts would be welcome especially if you have used this type of hoe. If you know of any other makes or outlets where I could buy this type of hoe then the information would be recieved most greatfully.

Thank You in advance.
The_Snail
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 01:33:39 by the_sexy_snail »
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Hoe, Hoe, Hoe Merry.... (Need a little help)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 08:56:18 »
I have not used either type so cannot offer experience from use. However, as an engineer, I would say that the fixed stirrup is likely to be more reliable, as there are no moving parts ...

Derekthefox :D

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 09:26:52 »
Hmm and ceaper but the ossilating one states that it is more perpandicular to the soil surface. hmmm

I see ya point I am almost sold on the fixed one then I can buy a cheap thin head dutch for me onions

Hmmmm

Quondry Continues

The_Snail

PS. Dont Panic!!! I will keep you all uptodate eiter on this thread or another.

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 12:58:26 »
Get the fixed one SS. They last for years. I still have one that was my grandads and it is over 75 years old. They do last. :)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 22:51:44 »
I saw someone using one of these on a TV programme a while ago and it looked as if it worked really well. (I don't know whether it was fixed or not) As I have never seen one in a shop the links are very useful - thanks. Let us know how you get on with whichever you buy as I'd be interested in getting one.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 08:41:16 »
Snail  get one off the internet.  I've just been shopping on the internet for my husband who has been round every garden centre and builder's merchant for something was still empty handed.  Been on internet for 2 minutes and stuff is being delivered tomorrow.  Saves pounding the pavement. 

I use Kelkoo (garden section) and then type in key word "hoe" and it should bring up all the hoes and the prices

Good hunting  :)   BTW  some of the tool companies have garden tools and they're usually cheaper but might not necessarily come up on Kelkoo
I came, I saw, I composted

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 10:34:42 »
Thanks wardy I will try kelkoo. I tried pricerunner.co.uk and did not really find a heck of alot. I will try kelkoo though.

The_Snail

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 10:59:03 »
I am a dopey so and so Snail!  I should listen to my own advice.  Just ordered meself a wheelbarrow for Christmas today using Kelkoo but didn't read the whole of the page and found a cheaper version of the same barrow I'd just bought.  It was just up a bit from the one I'd chosen.  What a berk.  Oh well I wasn't paying  :)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 12:39:39 »
Never used internet shopping, I would be too nervous about getting ripped off ...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 13:46:24 »
I use it a lot, it's just a question of common sense, the same as shopping any other way.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 15:01:51 »
DTF  It's so easy Derek.  Your Christmas shopping sorted without even leaving your chair.  No crowds, no screamin kids, no pushing, shoving, getting bad tempered  :)  I ordered a jumper for my son this morning from Next and it's being delivered tomorrow.  What could be easier?  I've bought all my CD's and DVD's online, my sister's new dress, niece new skirt, myself a wheelbarrow for Christmas.  My Christmas food etc  is being delivered on a huge container lorry by Tesco (slight exaggeration mebbe) to save me queuing up. I've done this since Tesco online was invented and can thoroughly recommend it.  I make one of the sprogs stay in to receive grub and put it all away while me and my old man go down the pub  :)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 15:53:34 »
It probably is easy for normal people Wardy, but I still have to keep the instruction manual with my mobile phone ...

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2005, 17:11:51 »
I must confess I am new to online shopping this year as I buy all my DVDs online. It is really simple and safe, especially is you use some of the more well known stores like comet, dixons, tesco and sainsburys and many more....   :)

The_Snail

Salpott

• Not So New ...
  • Looking for the kitten......
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2005, 20:06:18 »
Internet shopping - it's the way to go. I love it. Done all my chrimbo shopping online. Buy all electrical goods over the web.  Only problem is you need to be in to await delivery....Good excuse for time off work though  ;) ;D 

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2005, 20:50:16 »
Well I have been amazed by the experiences I have had this past year, so you never know, I might do it yet ...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2005, 21:06:35 »
I just fill in the delivery instructions box "leave in outside loo round back"  :)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2005, 21:17:28 »
Hmm that might confuse them because we dont have an outside loo ...

Derekthefox ;D

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005, 06:51:01 »
Yup I recommend to. I am an online shopping junky now. When I got the money that is lol  :D ;D :D

The_Snail

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2005, 06:53:02 »
PS Staying on topic it looks like so far I am interested in the Fixed Head Stirrup HOE! But I aint going to order it yet so things might change. Watch this space. (Or Thread  ;D)

The_Snail

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005, 09:12:13 »
I wonder whether any of these garden 'makeover' programmes have any ideas on creating a mock outside loo - perhaps part of a bog garden (groan). Not that I watch telly anyway so that wouldnt help.

Snail, reasons for your choice ... ?

I am interested in these hoes too, although that does mean I will have to shop online  :o

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal