Author Topic: A sad time but is there any hope ?  (Read 2009 times)

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
A sad time but is there any hope ?
« on: December 15, 2005, 14:31:17 »
Hi guys and gals.

I have had a half plot for 2 years now and have had a lot of fun with it, growing all those nice things to eat and share with family and friends but, and here's my question.

I have started a new job working for myself(kinda). I start at 6 and don't get home till 7 in the evening Monday to Saturday so I only have Sunday free to do anything. Would it be best to give up my plot and pass it on to someone who will give it the time it deserves or struggle on with only 1 day a week ? I do have other interests so organising my Sunday is a must.

What would you do ?

Cheers
Adam

:( :( :(
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

undercarriage plan

Re: A sad time but is there any hope ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 14:36:42 »
Aww Adam, tough one. Why don't you see how it goes? No need to make a decision straight away, if it does become too much, then give it up  If you don't know what to do then just wait awhile, things have a way of sorting themselves out. Or perhaps you could share with someone? Good luck with whatever you decide.
Lottie

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 14:48:57 »
I wouldn't make a decision yet either as being self-employed the hours you think you might have to work might not pan out quite as you expected.  Wait and see  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 14:54:35 »
Adam,

Give up the plot?  Out of the question!!

I am self employed.  The ONLY thing that keeps me sane, is being able to escape the computer in the evenings, and peddle up the plot. 

I have managed very well, and have found it immense benefit, with stress relief built in.   ;D

take care,
FL
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 15:01:05 by flowerlady »
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 14:55:00 »
Mmmmmmmmm thats is difficult. Sharing would be a good answere cos you might just like the change to be there and wouldn't have all the responsebility. Or offer your help to someone.
Marigold

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 15:17:54 »
Adam, agree with all the above, don't make a hasty decision. Another alternative would be to approach it á la wardy, in other words, convert completely to raised beds thereby having a quarter of the work and all the pleasure still.    {:¬)#
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 15:49:41 »
Hiya,

I commute daily, so basically leave the house at 6/7ish in the morning, get home for 7ish on a night, also have a partner who works Saturdays and a 2 year old... so basically only quality plot time (i.e. without hyperactive 2 yr old to keep an eye on :-\) is on a Sunday, or late evening during the summer.
My plot has been  divided up into raised beds which makes it seem 100% more managable, can cover areas with platic I'm not using and forget about them... plus plenty of other benifits (rotation, weed control etc etc) Ok, so you might have one or two more weeds then last year, but thats not the end of the world!

Now would be the perfect time to create your raised beds too... I deffinatly wouldnt give my plot up, even if you do the benifits of relaxing, getting away from work (and the missus) reducing stress and calming qualitys of allotmenting will soon have you wishing you hadn't!  :)

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 16:33:53 »
i used to be self employed.
trust me, you need your plot!
when things get a bit much it can be VERY hard to stop worries from work intruding on your family life.
what you need is a place to 'debrief' yourself (and no, i don't mean get your kecks off ::))
a quiet place, a sort of buffer between work and family where you can take a moment to change roles.
worth it's weight in gold i reckon.
plant some perrenial flowers and shrubs to lessen the load a bit, but keep hold of your little piece of land mate.
Tara xxx

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 16:48:34 »
Only You know the answer to this one ...If You are getting a lot out of your lotty as in pleasure and food etc  then keep it ..But if You think it is going to be a chore etc and You wont have the time to attend to it and there is a waiting list on your site..Then let it go to some one who as You say will give it the time and effort it deserves .. and appreciate it ..I would be very wary of sharing it unless it is a family member ...Sorry if this is a controversial answer ..Jim
Cheers .. Jim

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 16:53:08 »
No it's not controversial, not in my book anyway Growmore.  You're being realistic but I do think it's too early to say until he's got into the flow of self-employment.  When you're self employed you can give yourself the afternoon off  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 18:05:39 »
for a start i would look at the hours you work, as to me even with travveling your working 66 hours a week  :o :o :o   Which to my knowledge is 18 hours over the legal EU limits.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 18:16:59 »
I had 13 years with only w/es at home. For 2 of those years, my w/e was 1 - 1 1/2 days. We kept it!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 18:17:22 »
I agree with the concensus, don't give your plot up. Once it has gone, you may find that your means of destressing has also disappeared, and if you find it too hard, well cross that bridge when you come to it.

I wish you the best of luck ...

Derekthefox :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal