Author Topic: why is xmas in winter?  (Read 4633 times)

undercarriage plan

Re: why is xmas in winter?
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2005, 12:08:54 »
Oh Steve am I jealous!! That's the country at the top of my hit list when sproglets are all growed up!! May be needing zimmer by then, but want to do Tibet, Cambodia, Malaysia and......is a long list.. ;D ;)

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2005, 17:57:39 »
Enjoy how fantastic enjoy the southern hem. I think Christmas is in winter cos ..............it just cheer's us up. So dark etc
Marigold

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2005, 18:45:31 »
Yes I would love to see the Far East, and the Indian subcontinent as well, but I must summon up the will power to endure the travelling ...

Derekthefox :D

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2005, 22:51:38 »
Having just got back from 3 weeks in Tenerife, I can't seem to get my head round Christmas at all. 8) 8) (I havenot sent 1 Christmas card yet and I have some to go to Australia)
They were  putting Christmas trimmings and trees up ready for the people who will spend Christmas in the sun, but sorry it would not be the same without the fog and freezing cold and maybe snow,and at the very least wind and rain. :P :P

Rosemary

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2005, 23:20:05 »
Well at least I have a weekend on the Costa Blanca around Jan 20th, so will draw some energy from that momentary respite from our winter !!!

Derekthefox :D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2005, 23:43:12 »
Rosemary. Better hurry up with Australian mail. Yesterday was last posting date, I just made it.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2005, 10:46:10 »
Because it's a total appropriation of the pagan winter solstice/yule festival. On 21st December (the shortest day) they would mourn the death of the sun. then celebrate the birth of the sun and worship the earth mother goddess on the 22nd. There was festing, gifts (to the earth - sacrifices), lighting of trees (well - setting the yule log on fire) etc. Of course this got turned into the birth of the son from the holy virgin (still worshipped, but one step down from that of the goddess). The early Christians were very much in favour of bringing the pagans into line by nicking all their festivals.

So many other Christian festivals can be traced back to pagan ones.
gone to pot :D

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2005, 11:43:52 »
Erm (talks in a very quiet voice) ... I am heading off to New Zealand on Monday for a wedding and will stay there for a southern hemisphere Christmas. I can't wait!!!

Oooh, you lucky chap! I'd love to go there and visit the vinyards in the north of the south island. Have a great time!
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal