Author Topic: Steaming up lights  (Read 4618 times)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Steaming up lights
« on: December 08, 2005, 17:56:28 »
the wal lights on the patio are those globe type things, wiht the glass globes, but they seem to steam up and get lots of condensation inside. i have tried a few things to sort this but nothing works.

I thought about using them little packets of bead things that you get in boxes to keep down humidity. would this work?? any other ideas?

Cheers, Adam

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Steaming up lights
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 18:06:07 »
The beads (probably silica gel) would work initially but they would then get saturated and cease to be effective. This is a common problem at this time of year (and springtime) when there are temperature excursions which lead to dew. I would tend to dry them out, then check to see if there is a humidity seal on them. If there is, then check it is working, if not, then ensure there is a free flow of air. Once dried, putting the lights on for a while should remove any residual humidity.

Oh and Adam, remember your safe isolation procedure when working on electrical equipment. If you don't understand what I am talking about, you shouldn't be touching the lights.  :)

Derekthefox :D

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 19:20:23 »
yes i shall switch them off at the switch Derek! :D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 19:48:27 »
No adam, you should isolate the circuit at the consumer unit, because you will still have a live feed going into the connection point ... better safe than sorry, 230v rarely takes prisoners ... and lighting circuits are not RCD protected ...

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 20:03:15 »
its only the shaeds that would be coming off,  no where near any live wires.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 20:35:47 »
This is why electricians are qualified ... You are handling wet electrical apparatus outside of the equipotential zone (the house) on a non-rcd protected circuit ... On the courses at my college you would have just failed with a big red cross ...

« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 20:39:03 by Derekthefox »

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 20:51:03 »
ah yes,  but the actual light bit is well above three inches, the shade then sits down in a hollow that has is there so that if anywater does manage to get into the light it doesnt go anywhere!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 20:52:40 »
I am not going to continue, you are handling wet electrical equipment, I will not be attending your funeral ...

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 20:55:01 »
if you dont hear from me in the next week, i am dead!

Plus, how would the electric get to the light if the switch is turned off? Theres only me in the house so noone will be near the switch either to press buttons!  :D

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 10:48:03 »
You are aware electricity can "jump" arent you? 240v plus wet person stood on conducting set of ladders = :o :o :o

If you are determined to do it your way, set your camcorder up to record you - the £250.00 Youve been Framed pay for the tape will go towards your flowers  ;D:P

Bagpuss74

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 11:27:52 »
Sorry Adam,  agree with Derek.  Anyway, where's the harm in isolating it?  We're not saying it to be obnoxious, just thinking of your safety  ???

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 14:54:07 »
most my family are electrical engineeers!!!!

if i switch it off at the switch. there isnt a problem!?!!  how the hell is the switch going to turn on??!!   dont know about you but your electritian must be cack if he installs lights without switches!

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 14:57:04 »
plus Derek, i will keep my comments on some of your collagues that you will work with, ie the electrical 'teachers' to myself.

i have seen what people in managarial positions think of them.... ;)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 16:00:35 »
The switch is just that Adam, a switch, not an isolator.

I am qualified and teach the trade. You turn off one switch at the consumer unit, is that too hard. After you have received a shock, I am afraid you will find it too late. Have you ever seen the exit wound from contacting a live conductor? The images are enough to make you throw up, and that is assuming you live to tell the tale. The damage, scarring at the minimum, possible loss of the use of a limb, amputation, loss of mental faculties, it goes on .... all because you argue about isolating the circuit ...

I am surprised your family have not pounded into you the essentials of safe isolation if they are supposedly qualified ... it is considered fundamental within the Electricity at Work Regulations ... indeed in a working environment it can be considered breaking the law if working live when not essential.

This is not a matter for jesting ...

It is your life not mine, so carry on if you wish ...

Derekthefox :-\

timf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 16:16:32 »
i agree with derek on this one if you want to see what 240 volts can doo have a look at here
http://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000182.html

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 16:23:47 »
Wow, those pics are horrific!  I am with you guys 110% having gone out with an electrician for some years.  He saw some pretty hair raising things in his time. 

About the switch Adam, my darlings auntie moved in to a new house and my darlings dad and brother-in-law fitter her a new ceiling light.  When they removed the lightswitch to replace it with a trendy new one, they just double checked things weren't live, and there were live wires all over the place!  They had lots of problems as there were live wires running through the ceiling, which shouldn't have been, and ended up having to get an electrician to come and do the job.  It is that chance, that chance of the unknown, and that law that Sod invented.  Can you honestly be 110% that everything will be okay?

Personally, life's to short, but then I guess we are all older and wiser!

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 16:53:14 »
yes Derek, but as you say, they teach!  often they are very uneffiecient and a simple task like this takes them too much time,  hence why the airport, and united utilities throw any applications from teachers straight in the bin. its not worth it to them!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 19:16:46 by adam04 »

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 16:53:50 »
plus the pictures, ive seen what 10,000 volts can do to someone!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 18:25:19 »
The wisdom of youth eh???? :-\
Cheers .. Jim

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 19:22:02 »
Right. last chance Adam. I am not a teacher, I am an engineer. Fully qualified, unlike many engineers, and registered with the engineering council. My expertise is proven at the highest levels within the Ministry of Defence, including my instructing bombsquad engineers on defusing procedures using liquid nitrogen ... And being the named safety engineer on the same project. I have also been the project engineer on a generator for a missile system, which was the only system capable of tracking the stealth bomber when flown at the Farnborough Air Show (that upset the Yanks haha). Now I am a qualified electrician, and passed my exams with a double distinction - the highest possible grade, and was awarded best in student for the year, within all of the courses running that year (5 groups).
So I feel I know what I am talking about, whereas you seem more interested in ignoring that.

That is your choice, I really don't care. Students with your attitude never complete the course, they spend more time arguing their own point rather than recognising that someone else might just be right.

I presume you have seen the link timf has put up (thank you tim. we keep a folder of these pictures for final year students to see). We are not talking 10,000 volts here, this is not a pissing contest (apologies for language here). All I can say is thank goodness they have brought in part P, and you need the NIC certificate to complete domestic work now.

You shouldn't be let anywhere near anything more highly rated than a car battery...

Derekthefox
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 20:47:12 by Derekthefox »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal