Author Topic: growing instructions on seed packet  (Read 2988 times)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
growing instructions on seed packet
« on: November 30, 2005, 08:56:34 »
 Hi all,  :D
               I have just had delivered from Dobies my seeds for next year, (some of them , no doubt I will buy more  ::)) Just a bit confused with the instructions on the sprouting broccoli, it says, sow April /May plant out in final position June /July, that bits ok, then "avoid soft leafy growth, since plants grown hard will stand the winter better". What does "grow hard" mean .
                                                               Adrian.

undercarriage plan

Re: growing instructions on seed packet
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 09:36:36 »
Mmm.... not sure.... was thinking that insult them regularly, may toughen them up abit...but prob not... sorry... hard to me means touch of frost? But doubt that's right for that time of year.  ???
Lottie

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 09:56:05 »
'grow hard' to me in this context means not to grow them on a too highly fertile soil with lots of nitrogen (which promotes soft leafy growth). Also it could mean that the plants should not be grown on under cover for too long again so that the growth is not soft.
Gardening is the great leveller.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 10:13:30 »
As Eric says   don't feed them ,Water them in dry spells as little plants to get them established.. Once they are    established don't water them  even in dry weather ..Treat em mean LOL ..
It is the opposite usually as to how we would treat plants We would normally  make sure they had water and feed to keep em growing and get them big. This way they will hopefully grow well .and not bolt or go to seed early...

If a plant is stressed as in lack of water etc it will think this is it and  start going to seed or bolting early in order to reproduce itself ...This is what We want to happen with sprouting brocolli  I think...Hope this makes sense ..Cheers Jim

« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 10:38:02 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 10:35:10 »
I agree, ignore them basically, they should then thrive ...

Derekthefox :D

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 11:02:22 »
glad I am not the only one who gets baffled by seed packet. I tend to just ignore them and do what Joy Larkcom suggests!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 17:56:19 »
As Eric says   don't feed them ,Water them in dry spells as little plants to get them established.. Once they are    established don't water them  even in dry weather ..Treat em mean LOL ..
It is the opposite usually as to how we would treat plants We would normally  make sure they had water and feed to keep em growing and get them big. This way they will hopefully grow well .and not bolt or go to seed early...

If a plant is stressed as in lack of water etc it will think this is it and  start going to seed or bolting early in order to reproduce itself ...This is what We want to happen with sprouting brocolli  I think...Hope this makes sense ..Cheers Jim

Blimey, I'm not going up my plot anymore.  My plants must all be well hard and scary.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 04:52:34 »
im changing my mind on some of the people on this site !!  ;)
another member of i forgot my password

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 10:29:34 »
Well lots of us are pretty wierd Carloso, are you finding us a bit scary too ?  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 13:04:02 »
Yes, just like recipes when cooking, they can be adjusted with hindsight, but we lack that when starting ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal