Author Topic: When to sow.  (Read 3009 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
When to sow.
« on: November 30, 2005, 20:59:00 »
Big help needed folk (please) From the seeds that I recently sent for I would like to try some of the following.
Several herb types
Squashes
Peppers
Cabbage. early round dutch
Spinach

Any ideas when to sow? Start in greenhouse of direct to ground, or is this too broader a question? Many thanks for any help. None of the little packets have any instructions.

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
Re: When to sow.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 21:07:23 »
Hallo Lorna, If you need help with sowing times thegardenersalmanak is very good. Tells you how to prepare the soil, when to sow and harvest etc.
Has pictures etc..

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 21:09:27 »
I get my shrubby herbs like thyme, winter savory, rosemary, hyssop and sage going in the greenhouse in January. Chervil and Marjoram do well too for an early start.
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 21:22:06 »
Thanks for replies. Lady Cosmos and terrace max. Sorry to be dumb but is gardenersalmanak a magazine? a book? is there a website

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 21:23:36 »
Sorry Lorna, it is a website. and often a great help.
www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 21:36:18 »
Thanks a lot. Have now found website. will sit and have a good look through.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 21:47:47 »
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/ is another one Lorna - can't say how it compares to the Gardener's Almanac.  You can set where you live and get frost dates set for your area - not that it forecasted a June frost this year  :(
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 22:20:09 »
RC Thanks for that, always interesting to wander through different sites. Have made a note

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 22:39:27 »
Lorna, the squash are very tender and you don't want to be starting them off until April time, and then under cover with protection.  I start my peppers in Janaury at the same time as my toms.  Herbs I normally do around March time, but I find I do them whenever I have the time, so it could be Feb, or June.  Spinach I sow in batches from spring to early autumn, my last lot going in during September.  I find later sowings are better for me, early sowings bolt as I cannot provide the water they need. 

Hope this helps.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 23:03:26 »
EJ . Thanks Emma. I am printing all info out , and making a chart so that I can take advantage of all the info.. Other than toms, cues and runner beans I have never grown anything else. (other than flowers and shrubs) I am also going to have a go at pumpkins, I have already got info in file that a member kindly gave me.

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 07:03:25 »
EJ do you not get very leggy seedlings when you sow in January??? ;D
Chris Pea

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 08:14:21 »
I started my early round dutch cabbage in February this year ( heated greenhouse ). they did go a bit leggy but I simply planted them out deeper. You really do need to sow them successionally though as they aren't the best standing cabbage. Seemed reliable though, every one had a good head.
Herbs. Sow in Feb, again in March when they haven't germinated. Again in May when the March sown ones have been eaten, and again the next year if you're an optimist ( sorry, getting bitter and twisted about some of my herb failures )

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 08:41:02 »
Redclanger, have you ever found any weather forecasting to be precise?  ;D

Derekthefox :D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 09:19:09 »
dj. As pointed out previously I only have small area to put them all. I am hoping to grow a few of each., although I could put some in pots. Have got a heated greenhouse but I only keep it at 40F. Keep fingers crossed for me. I am really printing everything ou so that I can  look and compare. Thanks for answering.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 09:23:14 »
dj. PS Oh blimey hope my small area doesn't get invaded, I will land up with zilch ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 00:12:54 »
Never really have a problem with leggy seedlings.  Plenty of light and not tooo much heat, just enough to get them going, then reduce to frost free but cool.  Also, sowing in January means come March when the big sow starts, I have a few less things to worry about!  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 12:29:52 »
Just bunged some little gem seeds in my lightbox at work where it is lovely and warm. They have two options ...

Derekthefox :D

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 04:40:44 »
experiment a little i say you just have to look after them a little better well alot better than normal when not quite in there season

I notice growers have there lights on now so some seed is going in

carl

i wouldnt be posting this if some one hadn't experimented !!!
another member of i forgot my password

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal