Robin
Blackbird
Sparrow
Finch (any)
T*t (any FEATHERED variety!)
Pigeons/Doves
Starlings
Other (please state)

Author Topic: Favourite Garden Bird?  (Read 6129 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Favourite Garden Bird?
« on: November 29, 2005, 10:13:16 »
Of all the birds that come into your garden, which is your favourite, and why?

Mine would have to be the blackbird, for various reasons, not least being they have such character and are fascinating to watch.

I apologise if i have missed out your favourite in the poll. There are so many garden birds to choose from I had to select that i thought were the most obvious/common ones, in order to keep the poll to a reasonable size!

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Re: Favourite Garden Bird?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 10:17:09 »
Hmm I like them all. But I can only chose one so it will have to be........   The Robin

But like I said I do like them all!

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 13:51:50 »
I love to see all the garden birds but the Robin tops them all, look at his skinny little legs,how does he manage on them. ;D ;D ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 14:18:55 »
I love any type of finch but have only ever seen 4or 5 in my garden in the past 18years.The blackbirds do nest in my conifers and I enjoy them Not keen on starlings. There are hundreds round here

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 15:19:14 »
Well, I'm an other...I have this lovely little wren, that is so shy, just pops in and out of the hedgerow, think it's beautiful, and sooo sweet!

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 15:32:15 »
I've voted robin but really don't have a favourite,I only voted him because he's the bravest in my garden followed by the doves.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 15:46:46 »
Wren for me.  Just pipped the robin and bluetit to the post.
Get with the beat Baggy

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 18:21:31 »
I'm going to vote when I have made my mind up.  Torn between blackbird, robin, t*ts, finches and thrushes.  Also like Starlings but probably could not put them as favourites.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 22:43:30 »
Today i have had 5 blue tits, a thrush, Robin, Blackbird, all on and about the feeding station at the same time,  lovely i could watch them for ages they are so busy the little bluetits.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 22:49:26 »
I'm in the 'other' camp and my fave birds are those glorious birds of prey, everything from owls to eagles, hawks to kestrels. 

I do adore the garden birds, and love my jenny wren that pops out of the escalonia to see me, and the blue t*ts that are eating the seeds and the lovely thrush that spends all summer smashing snails up on my back step, but I love those big, beautiful, elegant, smart, fast, ducking and diving birds of prey!

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 18:32:01 »
T@ts for me in the garden but the Kingfisher is my favourite. I also hate cormorants.
Regards
Chris

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 20:54:19 »
I know I don't fit in with this. But it has to be for me the "North American Robin." When you see a Robin, It's spring.
"Oh Hell... I see no Robins..."

It must be..........WINTER
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 21:05:11 by Glyn »

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 21:35:35 »

Aagh!! this is like making a choice from a menu...

Oooh thats nice..

So is that....

Decisions, decisions...

....mistle thrushes, robins and wrens ;D

Decisive Debs

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 22:26:14 »
Like Emma Jane I like the birds of prey though I do wonder how many of my garden birds are being picked off by them.  There was a time when I had 20 goldfinches hanging around the niger feeder and squabbling amongst themselves for a position to reach the seeds.  Now I am lucky if I see 3. The sparrowhawks are regular visitors to my garden.  The problem I have is that they fly away as soon as I get my camera.  I will keep trying though.

As far as garden birds go my favourite is also the Jenny wren yet it didn't feature in the main poll!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 22:34:20 »
I am really envious of you all. The only birds I see plenty of are starlings (not keen) and racing pigeons, quite like to see these battling to get back to their lofts.(Raced pigeons in early 80's)
I have had quite a few blackbirds nesting in the conifers this year, they get quite cheeky.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 23:21:04 »
i'm very fond of the wee robin that visits my garden but i also love watching the wee wren, tits & the blackies
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 09:14:24 »
My favourite bird that visits our garden would have to be the blackbirds, well actually they think they own it, lol.  we always have several pairs nesting in the summer.  the robin would come a very close second.  unfortunately we don't get thrushes.  But  like others I love owls but as far as I know they don't visit the garden
MM

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 09:39:06 »
Although I don't really want to make a choice, I've plumped for the blackbird. They are such good value if that's the right word to use. Sing all the time, even late at night & I love it when I can hear them 'burbling' (can't think how to describe it) in the pyracantha in the front garden.

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 16:41:29 »
Voted for the Robin but my real favourite birds at the allotment are my hens.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 16:48:15 »
Nice to see a few more going for my favorite the blackbird.

Our local ones had a good breeding year this year, judging by the number that semed to come 'out of the woodwork' during the recent cold spell. in fact they nearly all seem to have paired up and are (unusualy) getting a bit territorial, particularly the females who seem very possessive of their patch and 'their man' and were to be observed tryng to shoo the other females away from him.

Male blackbirds conversely dont seem that bothered about other males around (or are perhaps all too happy to let the missus do all the 'territory defending' work! ;D)

Had to feel sorry for one female blackbird though :'(. She seemed to hae lost out in the pairing off stakes and was often to be seen all alone whilst the pairs were busy feeding together.

On a more general note: To those who cant decide i am sorry to put you on the spot about it.

Can i just remind folks that the title is Favorite GARDEN Bird, so its a your favorite bird that regularly visits your garden that we are talking about here. Seeing as so many of you have told us about your overall fave bird, maybe we should have a poll on that as well(?)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal