Author Topic: Is there a secret to growing big onions from sets?  (Read 6992 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Is there a secret to growing big onions from sets?
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2005, 09:07:01 »
I grew 800 onions this year, snail, and they are getting consumed at an alarming rate. However, that means I am growing something we make excellent use of ...

Derekthefox :D

geordieboy

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2005, 09:15:53 »
I think half the battle is to get the best growing conditions.....so this is the method I use for my onion bed -

Choose an open site with good drainage. For exhibition onions, trench 50cm deep. Fork up the bottom of each trench if solid. Into every four square yards of the bed work the following:-

4 Forkfuls of pea, bean or tomato haulms.
1 garden barrow of well rotted farmyard manure.
5oz Bonemeal
6oz Sulphate of Potash
Every 5/7 years only 2oz Sulphate of Iron.
First scatter the haulms at the bottom of the trench, and then mix the fertiliser into the bed. I t is essential that the greater proportion of the manure should be near the top of the bed, some within 10cms of the surface. This will enable the roots to come into contact with the manure during the early stages of growth. This work is best done in the Late Autumn or Early Winter when reasonably dry. The bed can then be left rough over the winter period.

In March work the top into a fine tilth adding the following to an area of 4sq yards.

2oz Superphosphates
1oz Hydrated Lime or 1.5lbs Calcified Seaweed
There is no need to firm the ground unless it is very light. When conditions allow, and this will depend on several factors, plant out the now hardened off onion plants. The usual time for planting is Mid April to Mid May. An advantage is gained by the use of cloches both before and after planting. If cloches are placed over the ground prior to planting the area will warm and there is less chance of a check in growth. Care should be taken after planting not to leave covers over for too long. I have found that 3-4 weeks is sufficient.

If the onions are required for general kitchen use or it has not been possible to prepare the ground in the autumn I suggest the following. When possible work into the ground one barrowfull of farmyard manure to 4sq yards. Prior to planting add a good general fertiliser. Calcified Seaweed can be added at this time. During the growing season never allow the onion bed to become dry, especially during June and July when the onions are growing well.

This is my first post so hello to you all, this is a good site and I have enjoyed reading the many posts.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2005, 09:27:36 »
I think half the battle is to get the best growing conditions.....so this is the method I use for my onion bed ...........
This is my first post so hello to you all, this is a good site and I have enjoyed reading the many posts.

and a jolly compreghensive post it is too!

Welcome!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2005, 12:52:09 »
Perhaps that explains why I have had poor success growing onions from seed ...

Derekthefox :D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2005, 13:14:09 »
Welcome Geordieboy ,,

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2005, 14:39:03 »
Welcome to Allotments4all Geordieboy  :) Great informational post  :) Thanks. All the best for 2006's growing season.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal