Author Topic: Blanching/forcing rhubarb  (Read 3673 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Blanching/forcing rhubarb
« on: November 29, 2005, 23:10:17 »
I have seen this done on TV and in mags time and time again, but wondered if you could explaing to me EXACTLY how you do it.  I understand the idea is to block out the light, but do you use an open top bin, straw, buckets...and do you then dig up the forced crown and bin it, and when does this whole process begin?  I tried, unsuccessfully this spring by placing a big bucket over the largest of my bubby crowns, and it just sat there in the dark growing very slowely and very weakly!

Thanks peeps! ;D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Blanching/forcing rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 23:14:10 »
I believe it will only work properly with well established crowns, as the forcing uses the store from the roots. I forced some this year by piling manure on then a large pot. You don't need to dig the crown up afterwards but give it a year's rest from harvesting to recover. Ideally you only force the same crown every three or four years.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 23:20:05 »
So was the manure for the heat, or the darkness?

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 23:29:58 »
I think it was for heat. I just did what I was told by someone else and it worked.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 10:02:51 »
Hi EJ,
If its spring, summer Rhubarb You are wanting to force choose one of your strong crowns wait till shoots are just  poking through soil  then cover whole of crown with a dustbin or box etc ,..You don't let it see any light .That way you will get long pink sticks with smallish leaves .You can get a few pickings this way covering it up after each..When You have done picking off this just remove dustbin and let the plant grow on naturally..

The straw hoss muck way is usually for forcing rhubarb  in winter inside....The way I have done this in past  is to dig or chop a crown  Leave it on ground outside till it has seen some frost..(It has got to have been frosted else it wont force )
I think this year with frosts we have had you could just dig or chop a crown and use it  straight away..
Then take it inside plant it in a box or big bucketc and put straw or hoss muck around it for warmth then  Cover it to exclude all light ..This way you should have forced rhubarb in winter .. cheers... Jim.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 10:06:29 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 11:07:17 »
At college they did it 2 ways. Some they dug up, potted up, put a dozen into a large wooden box like thing, filled with straw and laid a lid across. Others they left in situ, covered with straw, put a very large pot over. These did best. The ones they dug up looked very weak and poorly at the end of the season.

I find that I get good forced rhubarb if I leave in situ and I use a plastic compost container (empty) and place this over the top, with the lid on. Brilliantly long tender stems, then I didn't pick much from it later and it survived ok.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 23:03:37 by jennym »

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 14:30:44 »
That sounds the way to go then, put a large light proof container over ...

One last question ... when ? Now, or in January ?

Derekthefox :D

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 16:27:38 »
I cover mine as soon as i see signs of new growth in the early spring. Then harvest away. Never force the same crown two years running as it uses too much energy.
Regards
Chris

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 20:22:11 »
Thanks Chris, my rhubarb tends to be visible by the beginning of February, so the pots will go on then ...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 22:40:49 »
Okay dokay, brilliant.  Thanks for the info everyone.  I shall get a suitably big bucket...maybe an old plassy black dustbin, and keep an eye on the plants.  I reakon I covered the crown up to early this spring, before it had started to grow.  Thanks folks.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 07:50:44 »
Hi EJ, just found what may be a useful site, may be worth having a look at it.

www.growfruitandveg.co.uk

there is an article on there about rhubarb, sorry do not know how to do the linky thing on here.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 08:48:05 »
A useful site, I agree Richard, but I can't find the article on rhubarb ... any pointers? Your link was fine, by the way.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 13:43:50 »
Sorry Derick,  click on the monthlygardening guide
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 14:48:35 »
Super article, thank you.

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 19:53:51 »
i do exactly the same as jeenym and chriszog and get great results.  my rhubarb always manages to grow like a triffid despite this early treatment and so i force it every year!
It'll be better next year

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 20:48:11 »
Blanched some of mine last year by putting a huge pot over it and wrapping the pot up in loads of "fruits de mares" (as opposed to "fruits de mer"), but the results were disappointingly "earthy" in taste. 
The unblanched stuff was its usual loverly tasty self.  Any ideas why the blanching affected the taste so adversely?
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 07:43:15 »
Sorry no idea WeedProject usually the forced stems are much paler but sweeter than normal. Ive never had an earthy taste.
Chris

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 10:51:58 »
Maybe it's the variety?
I have Timperley Early, which gives lovely sweet tender stems. Have others too, but given, so not sure of variety.

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 12:51:40 »
The variety is "Left there by previous occupant" so I haven't a clue what it is.  I suppose it could be a variety that doesn't enjoy Mushroom Management technique.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 13:10:43 »
My varieties are unknown too ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal