Author Topic: Raspberry advice please  (Read 2025 times)

KT

• Quarter Acre
    • my kitchen garden
Raspberry advice please
« on: December 03, 2005, 15:32:41 »
In summer,the leaves on my raspberry plants turned yellow,showing green veins.I incorporated plenty of well-rotted manure before planting them a year ago.Could anyone tell me what's wrong with them and how I can remedy this problem ????Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks. :)

This is how they looked a few weeks ago.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: Raspberry advice please
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 06:51:40 »
I couldn't say for sure but certainly on branches that had fruited this happened after I had picked most of the fruit - then newer branches appeared and the same happened.  All told it went on like this 4 or 5 times through the season!

Thismay be just part of the growth cycle as the bushes bore heavy crops - or have I got a problem I don't know about..... :-\
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

KT

• Quarter Acre
    • my kitchen garden
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 09:51:55 »
Thanks Icyberjunkie for your reply :).
Following Wardy's advice,I'll try a soil testing kit and check PH of our soil.It might well be that the soil is too alkaline.

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 19:56:33 »
I think its a calcium deficiency or something along those lines, I will find out for you and let you know. its definitely a deficiency of some mineral, I cant remember which one, sorry

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 21:45:17 »
If the chlorosis (yellowing) happened on the older growth first then it is either magnesium deficiency (apply epsom salts) or manganese deficiency (spray with manganese sulphate).  Both of these are common on acid soils.

If the chlorosis developed on the new growth first then it is iron deficiency (add sequestered iron)  This is dues to an alkaline soil.

Chlorosis can also be caused by waterlogging, low temps or weedkiller contamination.
It'll be better next year

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 21:47:22 »
If the chlorosis (yellowing) happened on the older growth first then it is either magnesium deficiency (apply epsom salts) or manganese deficiency (spray with manganese sulphate).  Both of these are common on acid soils.

If the chlorosis developed on the new growth first then it is iron deficiency (add sequestered iron)  This is dues to an alkaline soil.

Chlorosis can also be caused by waterlogging, low temps or weedkiller contamination.

I knew it was something like that ;D

KT

• Quarter Acre
    • my kitchen garden
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 07:58:08 »

I suspected some kind of mineral deficiency but didn't really have a clue.The chlorosis started on the older leaves first so could be magnesium or manganese deficiency...?Will see what a soil test says.

Thanks guys for taking time to reply :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal