Author Topic: not enough stuff to compost  (Read 4882 times)

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
not enough stuff to compost
« on: January 20, 2004, 17:06:29 »
As I got my lottie in September I hadnt grown anything to compost, and as most of the weeds had lovely seedheads I burned them out.  The little I had wouldn't have heated at all in a heap so I skanked a big washing-machine box from Comet, through what I had in there, plus any trimmings from my garden, seaweed, cardboard and paper bits, lawn cuttings etc.  Box kept it a bit warmer, contained it and will rot down eventually - and cost nowt! Looked the other day and it has sank down nicely, and box is still a box shape - just!!  I'm going to scrounge some more as I'm not clever enough with a hammer and saw to make a proper bin myself
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: not enough stuff to compost
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 17:16:32 »
My carpentry skills are absolute manure, but I managed to make a compost bin.

I hammered together a few old decking squares (like mini pallets). It is a little rickety and I wouldn't ever lean against it, but it's managed to last through the winter so far!

Now that's full up (I'll have to make another one). I bung composting stuff in old compost bags, tie them when they are full and punch holes in (as if making leaf mold). That works really well as the stuff is kept warm and moist.

And if you don't have enough material, visit your nearest stables, bag up some fresh manure and used straw and mix that in. It worked really well at bulking up and activating my first tiny heap! I also rip up all the free newspapers (good for keeping your hands busy when watching tv) and add those.
gone to pot :D

mysticmog

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 00:48:26 »
Is newspaper that good in compost?  Not thought of using it, but have 100's of newspapers around waiting to go to recycle heaven.  

My compost is very woody, need more nitrogen, I guess newspaper wouldnt be good for me?
Peas xx

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 11:15:35 »
MM - don't know how good it is, but it rots down quickly and is good if your heap is too wet (which yours obviously isn't). I usually water the heap when I add newspaper as the heap isn't that wet.

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 11:19:55 »
I'm sure I read on hdra's site about the Centre for Alternative Technology's composting techniques which used up to 40% cardboard/newspaper - may we worth having a look there.

I've just done a deal with a gardening neighbour with a trailer - we're going up to the stables next week to get a trailer load of manure, swapping for some old scaff boards as he wants to make some more raise beds.
I'm going to get loads of well-rotted stuff, and some really fresh stuff as I want to try out a hot bed for the first time

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 11:21:10 »
I think newspaper must be good as a friend of mine puts shredded up paper in the trench he digs for his runners, also I think puts manure in as well.  I put shredded up newspaper in my compost container - seems to work ok :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

rdak

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 11:58:48 »
shredded newspaper very good if your compost heap is mainly grass cuttings.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 17:47:23 »
Shred all my non glossy paper and compost it! DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Piglet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 20:25:53 »
To bulk out my compost heap I usually scrounge lots of grass cuttings from family (have no lawn myself) which funnily enough they are glad to get rid off and shredded paper from work, add them both to the heap in layers making sure i water the heap well (the shredded paper airates the grass cuttings and stops them from going to a mushy lump,  - helping it to rot.

Its the glossy stuff you shouldnt put on your heap.

Piglet.

merv

• Half Acre
  • Umm, just a pinch of.....
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 22:24:16 »
Hi guys  ;)

I think that scrumpled/crumpled newspaper is better than shredded.  Doesn't wad down and allows circulation.  

Try a bit of both?

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
Re:not enough stuff to compost
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 15:04:06 »
Hi Ceri, cheep compost container,ask at your locil DIY store or Builders if they have four spare pallets, tie the pallets into a squire,you could place pieces of plasic on the insides and a piece on the top to help the heap to heat up faster(if you wish it look a fancy compostbin, you need 4x4"x2"x4' posts, then nail 3 pallets to the 4 posts & tie the front pallets to make an enterance) things to place in the compost,mix leaves, i walk around my village and brush up as many fallen leaves as possible,try going to your local farm , horsestable or pet store and get a straw bale and mix that in with your paper cardboard grasscuting,any house hold waste, & not forgetting to mix after six weeks.
my allotment
heaven

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 16:52:06 »
how things do change over a season.  I did the four pallet thing, and then did it again as I needed two bins.  Not enough to compost - ahh, it was all so new then!!  As I'm a menace with a hammer and nails I just skanked a load of very long cable ties from work and used these - worked brilliantly.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 18:11:02 »
Cable ties what a brill idea Ceri ;D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 20:40:42 »
Hundreds of years ago when I first started and we had no room for a compost heap or even sacks of it, I used to dig a trench across the Veg plot about a spit and a half deep or so. Then when I had collected enough material (Did have room for one bag) I laid it in the trench, covered it over and had a new trench ready to fill. It took a while to work across the Veg patch, but it worked ok. By the time I dug the first bit over again there was no sign of any of the individual material which had been put in.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 12:11:29 »
I used to never have enough compost for my needs. Then i got tough , and diciplined with saving stuff, and combined with a more refined making technique, i now have ample compost (though still not quite enough for all potential used in the garden). At lest now i can leave 'made' stuff alone for it to mature nicely (used to rush it and use it quite raw).

The addition of a paper shredder and electric rlawn rake which collects, also helps as i now have grass clippings/thatch and shredded wastepaper to add to the compost bin.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 16:45:43 »
If you have non-gardening neighbours, ask them for lawn mowings and other garden waste (as long as they don't use weed killer). I've got bags and bags off one of my neighbours who was more than happy to let me take them, rather than having to take them to the dump. I still find the odd bag by my garden gate.

And I read of someone who asks their local hairdressers for all the sweepings, but I can't stand the thought of other people's hair!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2004, 15:07:08 »
Hair is supposed to be a good deterrant for deer so I have heard! (or should that read, herd!)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal