Author Topic: Something for the Weekend?  (Read 4430 times)

Jimbo

• Quarter Acre
  • Daddy's Girl
Something for the Weekend?
« on: November 26, 2005, 07:15:17 »
This weekend,  I'll be mostly digging weed, as I clear back my plot for the Spring.  Yesterday's 1/2" of snow has now cleared in Cardiff, and I should be able to get a few hours in later this morning, taking care not to tread on the soil too much.

I might set off a few more dwarf broad beans in pots, to swap out for any 'no-shows' in my lottie.  My garlic still is avoiding me, but I feel that talking to them obliges them to show up sooner or later!

Sunday could be my first Lottie bonfire - can't wait!  Lots of dried-out perennial weed to burn off (the fruit of my labours, so far!), as well as some brambles I hoiked out last month.

Oh, and some more horse manure from the Stables!

What's happening elsewhere?

From the virtual quill of the Splott-Lotter

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: Something for the Weekend?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 08:09:24 »
This weekend I'll be......I'll be.....crikey havn't planned anything!   Soooo...This weekend I'll be a lazy sod  ;D
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 09:07:59 »
This weekend will be catchup for me, having lost two weekends to frost, I need to get stuff sorted. I want to set off some beans in the greenhouse perhaps, and have artichokes, horseradish and asparagus to get to the greenhouse. A busy morning today I think, and tomorrow? Well I will just carry on ...

Derekthefox :D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 09:38:12 »
Icy. Go for it. Doesn't hurt to sit back and relax now and again..    Lorna

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 12:08:20 »
Wardy Am I right in thinking you just LOVE housework (like me) ::) ::) ::) I was going gardening, have had lovely sunshine but then the sky opens up to give very heavy showers. Never mind can keep amused in the greenhouse.

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 12:15:01 »
I'm with Icy this weekend, feet up and have go at finishing this (non-gardening) book that seems to have been avoiding me     {:¬)#
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 13:02:13 »
Wardy!!  It tires me out just reading your posts!
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 14:08:07 »
I was full of good intentions yesterday but I got a bit drunk last night and have so far achieved absolutely nothing.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 14:19:44 »
Just got the paper and it's got a free DVD of Gordon Ramsay's cooking Chrsitmassy fings .... soup looks interesting , hmmmm .... also noticed that Scotland V New Zealand is on the telly .... apologises to book and puts it back on shelf    {:¬ (
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 14:26:28 »
I've got that but I don't think it'll appeal; our lot won't eat Christmas pudding at all, and the standard fare would be condemned as 'not having taste' as it doesn't have lashings of chili. iur most memorable Christmas meal so far was the time Mina fell over in the kitchen just as I was finishing the cooking, broke her wrist, and we spent the next six hours in casualty.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 14:36:53 »
Robert. So a good time was had by one and all on Christmas day-------SORRY that wasn't nice, only joking.  Did the meal ever get eaten?  Although I wouldn't think Mina felt like eating.     Lorna.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 15:12:15 »
Oh dear Wardy - doesn't sound good. I got shingles for Christmas one year which wasn't much fun!

Our weekend involves starting to decorate our 3rd bedroom to convert it into an office for the OH. Not very exciting. Am just off to the park with my 18 month old neice though  ;D ;D

will get the paper on the way back Aiken, so will check out the soup recipe

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 15:36:06 »
Well they weather has been superb, but things didn't quite go to plan. I got to the allotment ok, sorted the horseradish and started clearing the greenhouse, then a call was put out for volunteers to help unload a wagon of goods for the association stores. A bit of heavy graft got me really warm! There was a lot of stuff to shift, and even with 5 of us, it took just under an hour ... After that, it was time to go home ...

There is still tomorrow  :D

Derekthefox :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 16:32:11 »
The meal did get eaten in the end, but having got cold and been heated up and patched together it wasn't much.

Jimbo

• Quarter Acre
  • Daddy's Girl
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2005, 17:02:15 »
>:(
Well they say bad news comes in threes . . .

Got to Lottie, started bonfire, tucked into flask of tea, all going well.

1. Started on Bean-trench, and nearly dislocated my shoulder when I hit bedrock, 5" down!

2. Pulled back fleece, and started on what was to be my potato patch, to find that a previous occupant of allotment 159C had rotivated his green-house into my plot.  Glass everywhere 3" down!!!

3. Pull back another fleece to dig over, to find rats-nest!

Now I have a few things to think about, as my lay-out for the Spring has all gone hay-wire.  Think I might sit back, sup a cold one, and watch the Welsh game (Aitken - sorry about the Scotland result.  Unlucky!).

Tomorrow HAS to be a better day . . .

:)

Frustrated, of Splott

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2005, 17:03:30 »
Robert. I will wish you a worry free Christmas for this year,

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2005, 21:41:48 »
As long as it's better than today. Mina's (my stepdaughter's) biological father invited himself for lunch with a couple of friends. He wouldn't let her come with her sister originally, when the US Navy was evacuating people from Freetown, and we had a dreadful business getting her here; it took three months, she nearly got caught in the fighting, and she'd already written him off by the time she got here. Since then, he's shown no interest in eight years. Then he suddenly arrived expecting her to sit on his knee. She's almost 14 and doesn't sit on anyone's knee, and she was most upset. The three of them then accused Namissa (my wife) of poisoning her mind against the guy, when the reality is that she made it up herself without any prompting at all. It all dissolved into major palaver and upset.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2005, 22:01:54 »
Robert That is awful not only for  Mina but for your whole family.. How upsetting especially as the guy hasn't bothered about her for eight years. He may be her biological father but to my mind he doesn't deserve the title. I can only say I wish you all peace and happiness for the future. Best wishes Lorna.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2005, 22:34:57 »
To my mind he's  a sperm donor not a father. He gave up a very good job indeed to go into politics, and in Sierra Leone that says it all. They're the biggest thieves around, it's all they go into it for.

Jimbo

• Quarter Acre
  • Daddy's Girl
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2005, 23:34:24 »
Marky-B,

You are, of course, right.  I know that tomorrow, I will have a great day.  But don't get me wrong, today was a good day, despite my rantings earlier.  I got a huge amount of soil turned and weeded, I burnt off a pile of perennial weed the size of Blackpool Tower, I met three new people on my site (all lovely folk), AND I managed to end the day with a smile.

Tomorrow is ALWAYS a better day, because it is full of expectation and hope.

No-longer-Frustrated of Splott

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal