Author Topic: Something for the Weekend?  (Read 4430 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Something for the Weekend?
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2005, 00:06:39 »
Things will work out, don't worry. And that guy won't be coming back here. If he can't understand that he needs to give Mina something if he wants to have a relationship with her, that's his problem.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2005, 00:11:16 »
It sounds Jimbo, as if you have got the right attitude, ie tomorrow is always a better day ...

Derekthefox :D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2005, 01:24:50 »
I hope at least everybody has a good Sunday.  We have had sleet and rain showers all day with more forcast for tomorrow. So lottie work completely out.   Had a bit of a Christmassy themed weekend instead.  Did a bit of pottering and Christmas Shopping in Whitley Bay, admired the Town's new Christmas lights while we were out.

Tonight went to the local church and saw a local choir and orchestra perform Handels Messiah, with wine and mince pies - very nice evening, though it was on 3 hours so our bottoms are sore from the wooden seats, though we did take a cushion. Tomorrow it is all systems go for my Christmas cake.  My children are coming over at 4 oclock to stir it and make a wish and stab the devil ritual, then cake goes in the oven for at least  four hours.  This time tomorrow it will be one more thing I can tick off my Christmas list.

Next weekend it is the St Nicholas Fair in Whitley Bay, the Town's lights will be switched on, children will carry lanterns and sing carols and it will be the start of the Northumbrian and French farmers Christmas market for the weekend in Town. We will also put up our  home decorations and be out choosing a Christmas tree. Hope you all have a good weekend.  :) busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2005, 08:40:13 »
Drizzling here at the moment, so I am sluggish in my efforts to go down the lottie. Sounds like you had a pleasant day, busy lizzie, although the Christmassy theme is not my cup of tea. I would have really enjoyed listening to Handel though, nice refreshments too. Was it mulled wine? I am familiar with making a wish on the cake, but not stabbing the devil? Is this a northern custom?

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2005, 09:37:48 »
Got up at 7am this morning to clean the kitchen, :o mad or what.  It was a job I started earlier in the week, but never finished - I blame A4A  ;D  ;D it's a much nicer place to be, than down on my hands and knees cleaning floors.

Managed to visit lottie yesterday, and put over wintering pots in cold frame in my garden.

Will add more Brandy to Christmas cakes made ages ago, OH already eaten one  ;D

Soon be Christmas, yippee, then Spring to look forward to.

Lily

' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Jimbo

• Quarter Acre
  • Daddy's Girl
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2005, 10:42:20 »
The weather here in Cardiff looks fine again, so me and SammyD should be okay for a few hours on our respective Lotties. 

More digging, and might investigate rat-holes for occupants, with the Site-Manager's assistance, of course (Eric).  Making good headway (despite debris in ground - thanks to the previous occupant of 159C, who rotivated his green-house into my ploy), even though I am a Newbie.  Nearly half the plot cleared (need to fetch some more muck today).

Well,  off to make flask, and get some food for the Robins.

Jimbo from Splott
From the virtual quill of the Splott-Lotter

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2005, 12:19:15 »
And I am having a rest... Since Friday we had here in the netherlands a heavy storm and a lot of rain at the coast ( the east got a lot of snow and icy roads).
Saterday and today dry but no work in the veg garden for me. Next week it is the feast of St. Nicolas and I can say that is the biggest feast of the year.
We expect St Nic and his helpers, the black Petes, to arrive Saterday afternoon and we get a lot of presents ( because we all have been very good last year!!) ;D But the last two weeks everybody have been mostly in his/her own room to wrap those presents. Not only in paper but to produce a charicter from wood, sowing or nitting takes a lot of time.
I still have a lot to do. Thinking of diner that evening ( 17 people)  buying the last St. Nic's things, like fresh marsepan, sugar animals, pepernoten and chocolate letters etc and finish my St.Nic's surprise......
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 12:41:43 by Lady Cosmos »

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2005, 12:56:32 »
O yes Wardy, it is, and it starts weeks before the big day.
Secret shopping, and rhyms very long, teasing each other in a very kind way. I am making  an aeroplane but is getting out of hand, Iam afraid, two by 1 mtr, from wood with a present inside.
And it is not allowed, of course, to enter somebody's room and looking at the presents/ surprises, so no cleaning the rooms for me..... more time to be of to the garden ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2005, 13:51:05 »
Well my Sunday morning session was more productive than yesterday, and very pleasant too. I now have half of my plot dug over, so I am pleased there. I removed the nylon(?) sheeting off my tent like greenhouse, so the winds don't take it away. Put my asparagus seedlings into large pots in the greenhouse, and also plunged my artichoke tubers into large pots of compost awaiting planting in March. I set off a seedtray of broad beans in the greenhouse, those that germinate will get potted up then planted out when suitable. Plus numerous 'pottering' tasks to fill the morning out. Meanwhile, a local church was having an open air service with a brass band playing ... this was wonderful, music while you garden !!!
I am taking sustenance now, in the form of pumpkin soup and toast ...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2005, 20:53:30 »
Spent the morning at my church, which means that I get landed with whatever needs doing and have to try to sort out any problems, then took my wife for a driving test after lunch. She failed again. Tonight the President of Conference was preaching at another church in the circuit, so for once I could go to a service and not have to do anything! With all that going on I never got near the plot.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2005, 21:02:01 »
Robert Always another time for your wife. I know my Grandson was unhappy when he failed his first test. He was cross with himself. Better luck next time Mrs B.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal