Author Topic: BBC Prog last night about boy  (Read 4643 times)

undercarriage plan

Re: BBC Prog last night about boy
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2005, 12:07:39 »
Out of my 4 kids, 2 have school dinners, they not too horrific here, and 2 have packups...Erm..to my point! Have been gobsmacked by how many kids packups consist of chocolate bar, crisps and that seems to be it.... :( the school dinner ladies at our school used the few toms, lettuce etc we produced in gardening club and the kids loved it. They are so desperate to do as welll as they can for the kids. My problem is persuading the Head to actually give us an area to up production, is like rolling a very big rock up steep slope! Have been squished numerous times, but I will get there!!!! May be 70 before I do, but hopefully he'll have retired by then!!
Lottie  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2005, 12:23:38 »
I could cook a full english breakfast when I was 10, and learned most basic cooking techniques except making cakes before I was 18. My daughter, at 16, knows more about nutrition than many adults, and eats very healthily. She takes a packed lunch to school which she prepares and cooks herself. At least our family know how to feed themselves ...

Derekthefox :D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2005, 08:34:29 »
I've now watched my video of this programme and was very pleased to see that the parents and child changed their behaviour so completely and with such postive effects.   What struck me most - apart from the total lack of cooking and nutrition skills - was that the parents also had no idea of the needs of a  7 yr old boy and the importance of making him comfortable and happy within his own peer group.   They also needed to be told about doing things as a family because that's how their son would learn about relationships.

This is basic human social behaviour - not rocket science - so why today do so many families seem to get it wrong?   And why does government not address this lack of parenting skills which is producing a generation of people programmed to fail and end up as bullies or bullied, delinquents and/or long-term unemployable and a drain on society's limited resources.   You don't need money to be a loving family that treats each other with respect and consideration but it costs the taxpayer a great deal to deal with the fallout from those who lack these basic social skills.
Obxx - Vendée France

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2005, 09:13:37 »
OK quite controversial,and  I know I'm generalising, especially considering that I didn't watch the programme but I think people have become LAZY - its easier to buy junk food, not to teach children social graces, and allow kids to find there own way without any kind of guidance.  Also I think on the whole be have become very selfish and parents are often far more concerned with their own misfortunes and forget their childrens needs.

I don't profess to be perfect but I love my kids and I consider the most important thing I can do for them is teach them how to respect others and prepare them for adulthood both emotionally and practically.
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2005, 20:15:28 »
The thing that pee'd me off so much was the mother's negativity.  I could have slapped her.  Of course the kid didn't want to go to beavers he had been conditioned to be negative by her.
Get with the beat Baggy

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2005, 21:32:55 »
whoa- what a debate, might as well give my tuppence worth:
Ive done a lot of research on nutrition lately for my own health, and its made me feel so much better than usual to eat well- consider that school is a place of hard work and constant learning and conditioning, kids need to be on the ball and full of energy, which is really the most ironic thing about school meals- bad food is served to those whom need good healthy nutrition the most.
Secondly, good nutrition isnt integrated into subjects other than home ec- PE, psychology, biology and chemistry can all be used as a tool to demonstrate the power of proper nutrition.
And in our new throw away culture, food has changed- people dont know where it comes from, they see a steak or chicken in its wrapper and they dont think about what the animal ate or how it was slaughtered, they just eat to satisfy cravings, no more seasonality either makes our diets even blander- we can eat the same thing all year! Food isnt even to satisfy our hunger anymore- sugar and salt are as addictive as cocaine, so everyone eats too much of them, especially our children, argh! :(
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Yellow Petals

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2005, 22:22:45 »
mmmmmmmm, salt   ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal