Author Topic: Bad things your dog can eat but might need a visit to the vet for doing so  (Read 19628 times)

joji

• Hectare
Just a few things to bare in mind. :)

Aluminum Foil

When ingested, aluminum foil can cut a dog's intestines, causing internal bleeding, and in some cases, even death.

Anti-Freeze

If ingested, anti-freeze (ethylene glycol) is often lethal -- even in very small quantities. Because many dogs and cats like its sweet taste, there are an enormous number of animal fatalities each year from animals drinking anti-freeze. Poisoning from anti-freeze is considered a serious medical emergency which must be treated by a qualified veterinarian IMMEDIATELY. Fortunately, the Sierra company now offers a far less toxic form of anti-freeze. They can be reached at (888)88-SIERRA.

Bloat

Bloat (gastric torsion & stomach distension) is a serious life-threatening emergency which must be treated by a qualified veterinarian IMMEDIATELY. Bloat is relatively common among large and deep-chested breeds, such as Basset Hounds, Dobermans, German Shepherds and Great Danes. Many experts believe that a feeding a large meal within 2 hours of exercise or severe stress may trigger this emergency. Eating quickly, changes in diet, and gas-producing foods may also contribute to this serious condition. Symptoms of Bloat include: unsuccessful retching, pacing, panting, drooling, an enlarged stomach/torso, and/or signs of distress.

Chocolate

Chocolate contains an element which is toxic to dogs, called Theobromine. Even an ounce or two of chocolate can be lethal to a small dog (10 lbs. or less). Larger quantities of chocolate can poison or even kill a medium or large dog. Dark and unsweetened baking chocolates are especially dangerous. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include: vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, hyperactivity and seizures. During many holidays such as Christmas, New Year's Day, Easter and Halloween, chocolate is often accessible to curious dogs, and in some cases, people unwittingly poison their dogs by offering them chocolate as a treat.

Electrocution

Christmas tree lights and electrical cords can be fatal if chewed on by a dog (or cat). Whenever possible, keep electrical cords out of reach.

Fireworks

Never unnecessarily expose your pet to firecracker noise or fireworks displays, as they can cause companion animals tremendous fear, and in> many cases, long-term phobias. Make sure to keep dogs indoors, and keep walks (on a leash) very brief. Try masking loud firecracker noises with "white noise" (from the air conditioner or white noise machine), as well as with music or other familiar sounds (radio or television). Or if possible, take a brief vacation with your pet in a quiet rural area, until The Fourth of July fireworks are over.

Heatstroke and Heat Exhaustion

A dog's normal internal body temperature is between 100.5 degrees F and 102 degrees F. Leaving a dog in a parked car in the summer (even with the window a few inches open), can cause heatstroke within minutes. Heat exhaustion is usually caused by over-exercising a dog during hot weather. Both heatstroke and heat exhaustion can result in brain damage, heart failure or even death in a short period of time. To cool off an overheated dog, wet the dog's body and paws with cool water, then fan. If the dog experiences heatstroke or heat exhaustion, he should receive veterinary attention as soon as possible.

Hypothermia

When a dog's internal temperature drops below 96 degrees F (by being exposed to cold weather for long periods, or getting both wet and cold), there is a serious risk to the dog's safety. Small and short-haired dogs should wear sweaters when taken for walks during cold winter weather. Any sign that a dog is very cold -- such as shivering -- should signal the owner to bring the dog indoors immediately.

Ice-Melting Chemicals and Salt

Ice-melting chemicals and salt placed across sidewalks and roads can cause severe burning to your dog's footpads. Whenever possible, avoid walking your dog through these substances, and wash off his footpads when you return home. There are also products available such as Musher's Secret which can be applied to your dog's footpads prior to going outside, that may help reduce the pain that is often caused by road salt and chemicals.

Poisonous Plants

Dogs (and cats) can become extremely ill or even die from eating poisonous plants. Keep all unknown types of plants and any plants suspected of being poisonous out of reach of your pet, and/or spray with Bitter Apple (for plants). [See below for a partial list of poisonous plants.]

Plastic Food Wrap

Plastic food wrap can cause choking or intestinal obstruction. Some dogs will eat the plastic wrapping when there are food remnants left coating its surface.

Tinsel and Other Christmas Tree Ornaments

When ingested by a dog (or cat), tinsel may cause obstruction of the intestines, and the tinsel's sharp edges can even cut the intestines. Symptoms may include: decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, listlessless and weight loss. Treatment usually requires surgery.

Also never give your dogs Rasins, Grapes or onions. These can kill your dog.

BAGGY

• Hectare
My dog once ate 1/2lb of loose tea, a large box of dry paxo, a box of mustard powder, the sugar bowl and to finish off ...... a large box of tampons in one go.  We were scared to let him have a drink  ;D ;D
Get with the beat Baggy

joji

• Hectare
 OMG Baggy

That must have been scary :o :o :o :o :o

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Oh Baggy that did make me laugh, I am sore now,  thanks!!!  Our family have had 3 Boxers over the years and boy they ate loads of things.  One of them used to catch the change from the Insurance Man and swallowed the lot.  My Dad had to look through the poo every day because of the stuff she ate.  Poppets (plastic beads)  were a favourite of hers as well.  Another boxer found her own doggie chocolates int he xmas parcels and scoffed the lot before Xmas day.  That same dog died a horrible death with one mentioned  Bloat.  She was only 8 and poor love took that and in the end her stomach ruptured and gangrene set in.  We were upset for a long time after that, she was a lovey.  Yes, youdo get fun at our pets.   How is Russ today Wardy hope he hasnt had another funny turn.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
My dog Bobbie (the one at the back in the photo) gave us a real scare once.  He went into the bathroom while we were out and took a bar of Imperial Leather soap from the side of the basin and ate the lot :o  We were expecting all sorts of after effects, but amazingly - none.  We have to watch him all the time as, although not a puppy any more, will steal anything he can :-X

Know about the fireworks, Bobbie was very badly frightened by a loud one a few years ago and has never forgotten - any loud noise reduces him to a quivering wreck.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

joji

• Hectare
Garden Girl

Funnily enough it is gun dog breeds are the ones that are most frightened of fire works. It is a prooven fact. :)

karrot

• Half Acre
  • It was a hard days digging!!
joji, Bella as you can see is a gun dog and we have to drug her over fireworks.
in a long list of"goodies" she has eaten, some of the best were,
underware
babies sudo cream
coal affect coals from fire
walleroo skin rug hubby had from oz
ANYTHING from the bin
When Bella was spade one of her internal stitches punctured her spleen, she had to have emergency surgery, and while under got bloat. now whenever she has to go under I'm worried sick :'( (thing is its so often she's so accident prone)

joji

• Hectare
Oh dear you have been through it with her Karrot. :o

If ever you need any advice just PM me and I will see what I can come up with :)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Pat I had to laugh about the soap, when I was pregnant many years ago ;) I had a craving for soap, used to have nibbled bars all over the house, had to be coal tar ;D

What is bitter apple? This puppy chews anything and everything, I think most of my plants are bad for her judging by the list, its not practical really to spray everything, think maybe more dog training in order. ;D
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Val - I was told about using bitter apple (it is a spray that you can get from the pet shop) when my dogs were young.  I found it made not the slightest difference so didn't bother spraying.  I really think that a dogs palate is really disgusting, the smellier the better :o
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
 ;D ;DYou're right but what does that say about my slippers she's taken a liking to?..No it means I'd have to spray after every rain as well I guess, must cost a fortune. ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Oh Baggy, I did laugh, and your soap episode Pat!  hehee.  When I was ickle, we had an old English Sheep Dog, and he had a festish for wallpaper, but it had to be that embossed paper, the one where the pattern wasn't raised, but actually full of foamy putty like stuff.....no idea if they still make it!  He was also rather partial to wallpaper paste!  When dad decorated, we had to lock him out of the room for days until the paper was totally dry and the smell had gone!  We would come home and he would have chewed off the wallpaper all around a room!!!!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Ha ha Emma, we had a bobtail too, and his appetite once included a pair of my wife's tights. I only noticed when he was in the garden one day, and there was something hanging down at his back end ... Thinking that he might have had a distended bowel, I investigated, and found this elastic fabric ... which I pulled ... and pulled ... and pulled ... until eventually out it popped. He seemed rather happy to be rid of that. My wife had no inclination to want to wear those tights again ...

Derekthefox :D

terrace max

• Hectare
My dog Lucy has, to my knowledge, eaten 4 types of herbivores' poo: rabbit, cow, sheep and 2 year old daughter's  :o (Dog got to the potty before I did).

Scuzzy mutt!
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
When my last dog was just a puppy i  left 3 cooked chicken breasts I had just bought for our tea,in a bag in the kitchen.I thought they were out of reach,but being still warm i suppose temptation got the better of her.Not many minutes later she came waddling out the kitchen,tummy VERY distended and a weird expression on her face.

Now, bearing in mind when i checked,the whole lot had gone,bones and all,I obviously panicked. I didn't know whether to be furious she had eaten our tea,or worried sick that she had a bone stuck in her throat or further down.So i rushed her to the vets.Sounds dramatic but as the vet was only next door to me it was not such a problem!!

He pronounced her ok at the top end!! and just to keep a close eye on her because there was nothing much he could actually do.

We did keep a close eye on her but she was absolutely fine and didn't need any more food for a good 24 hours.

Unlike us who had to make do with egg and chips for tea........
Margaret

Suru

• Not So New ...
Our dog Molly (in the picture)started eating 'blutack',much to my horror.We could'nt understand where she was getting it as I always put the kids stuff out of reach in a drawer.By accident we discovered her secret.The kids stick their drawings and school certificates on the fridge with Blutack and the little monkey was going in lifting up or chewing the corner of the picture and  sneaking away with her prize.Thankfully we always know when she has some contraband as she looks very guilty and hides under the coffee table.All the pictures are now out of reach and sellotape is used instead.Thankfully no permanent harm seems to have been done.
She likes a lot of non doggy things such as french beans ,carrots,
and tuna,but they seem to agree with her!
    best wishes Sue :)

joji

• Hectare
Tuna and any green veg and carrots are good for your dog so don't worry about her eating that. Blue Tac is non toxic so no worries on that either. :)

Suru

• Not So New ...
Nice to read that the Blutack will have done no harm Joji.Molly also seems to love chewing paper too if she can get any without me seeing.I sometimes wonder if shes lacking something in her diet,or is she just a nutty dog as we all suspect!!!!! ;)
              Sue

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
You're right about the warning Wardy, our dog...not the young pup, picked up a cocktail stick from the beach unbeknown to us, until she was off her food and very lifeless. The vet said it was just beginning to puncture the stomach. I know it was from the beach, we hadn't used any for months and people have barbies in the summer. It was the only place she could've got it.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Joji I know that most dogs will eat anything but here is a list of what our last labrador Bonny ate,
Soap powder
1/2 frozen chicken
1kg pk of frozen peas
whole roll of swing bin liners
pack of rat poison..........gave us a scare that one did  :o
toilet brush
felt pens
one of my crowns that I had left on the coffee table after it fell out(I was investigating the damage to the tooth in the bathroom. Other half couldnt understand why I wouldnt follow dog to check poo and get the tooth back to put in.   :-X  :P

christmas tree and lights chewed through in 3 places ......on christmas eve  >:(
shoes and anything else that wasnt nailed down.

we seem to be getting off a bit lighter with our two standard dachshunds. Missy is wonderful and apart from scoffing a whole 1/2 kilo box of Thorntons toffee she doesnt steal much. 
Poppy (the youngest) is another matter altogether.  Her list includes
any meat wrappers (if the meat is still in it all the better)
shoes
knickers(disgusting I know)
She once ate the string of a joint and it was hanging out of the rear end
I thought she had a tapeworm  ::)
Any fruit and veggies she can get her teeth into.  I have to cover the compost heap or she gets more from there.
She will even steal from the fruitbowl so I have had to put it higher than she can reach.
I have to say that non of the above apart from the rat poison has caused the least problem.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal