Author Topic: Bad things your dog can eat but might need a visit to the vet for doing so  (Read 19626 times)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Be careful about the chocolate though digswell, I understand this can be poisonous for dogs :o
Happy gardening all...........Pat

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Years ago when we lived in East Sussex we had Sally a lovely golden Labrador. One of our cats had kittens in the hay barn.. There was a knock at our door and a very upset lady said "There is a big dog in your field and it has got a kitten in its mouth" I answered "Oh yes that is Sally, she takes the kittens for a walk and then returns them to the hay barn".  I am not sure if that person really believed me!!  Sally also would go round and pick up the chickens  eggs from the hedgerow and bring them to me without ever breaking one..

digswell

• Not So New ...
Hi Gardengirl, I know it can hurt them, it's not that we feed her with it, it's that she steals it!
Unfortunately the majority of ex-race Greyhounds are a nightmare for pinching food, I think it's the competition for food in the kennels, and that they are fed a large amount of kitchen waste and scraps to keep cost down that makes them that way, and it is such a hard habit to break in a 5 year old dog.

For example, I had never known a dog jump up and grab cabbage leaves and carrots from you like they were treats!!! We understand the average kennel feeding cost is about 6 - 8 pence per day, we feed our Lilly well, proper Greyhound food and tin or home cooked meat and it costs about 19 - 21 pence per day! One advantage is the Greyhound food is only just over £11 for 15kg and that lasts just over two months.

joji

• Hectare
Hi Digswell

You will find that in most greyhound racing kennels the poor dogs are fed predominantly rice and very little else. It fills them up but doesn't put weight on them. :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Digswell
Our Suzy would climb on the table and eat off our plates given half a chance. She is constantly on the lookout for bits of veg.

Last night I brought home a Savoy cabbage from the allotment and forgot to "lock it up". Suzy got it off the worktop and has sampled quite a few leaves.

digswell

• Not So New ...
So cabbage is something quite a few dogs like then, they must know it's good for them! I know Greyhounds don't have a very good diet, they have a lot of milk and liquid stuff as well as their teeth are often very poor when they retire.

Vez1

• Half Acre
My Lhasa Apso Murphy is now two and has eaten om much he shouldn't have.
He eats my 2 year old nephew's plastic toys, plastic is a real favourite of his.
He eats crayons. He eats strawberry plants, he is very partial to these. He has eaten my contraceptive pill, he has eaten sweet wrappers the list goes on and on.
I dread to think what goes through people's heads when they see me pciking up his mess in the plastic bag and looking at it before I through it in the dog bin.

timf

• Quarter Acre
our black lab ate an eintire bulb of garlic on sunday,
he now has a small problem with wind and is currently sleeping in the utility room
and every time you run your hand across his fur it smells of garlic.
But we won't mention the effect it had on his toilet times  :P

heeby

• Not So New ...
well my dog an overactive oap staffy ate my leather belt luckily she stopped when she reached the buckle i came home and found the buckle on the kitchen floor and set about scratching my head as to where the belt had gone never thought she could have done it until my mate came round and suggested it .
mark ???

welsummerman

• Not So New ...
AI so its ao old post but i had to offer my dogs  tastes in what they have eaten
had 26 German shepherds  only had one that caused any grief . anything meat fish vegetable she would eat . ate also geraniums, nasturtiums , barley and wheat out of the chicken grain bags , she would come down the boat with me and dig out crabs still alive or dead and chomp them shells and all ,her passion was whelks in the shell ,the smells around Thai yard when she had feasted on them was totally unbelievable and people crossed the road outside our house to evade it , then had gundogs  special memories of a huge golden retriever who got into my workshop where i baited long lines for fishing and she ate a 5kg block of calamari squid with two of her daughters . thankfully all the dogs lived a long and happy life ,which i cannot say for the 2 springers i lost i a week  i had taken them bush beating and they both had drinks from a fast running stream that was bright clean  clear water  one dog died the morning after and the pregnant dog that afternoon at the vets .they had both been poisoned by nitrate fertiliser that had been washed from the field into the water table and it then got into the stream , the stream was adjacent to the field so had no time to dilute the poisons , so just a warning folks .just because it loOKs good water do not assume it is in the countryside

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
Oh welsummerman that is sad about springers, :'( they are my OHs faves, but they do seem to have a knack of getting into trouble!

My only odd eating story is from Bailey, he was a bit off colour for a few days last year, so kept an eye on him, after 3 days he started being sick, and hadn't really eaten much, anyway, his sick contained some 4" long plastic things, about the thickness of spaghetti - it was the garden broom bristles, there were about 10 or 12 over the next couple of days, then he was OK again. Now have to keep all brooms and brushes out of his way. The strange thing is that it seems quite common for dogs to eat anything - but Bailey is a cat! (see avatar pic)  :o
Kathi :-)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
This very day Mollie the collie has managed to eat some rat poison (dropped by rat man at daughters stable yard).She has been at the vets all afternoon, they made her sick and have recommended a blood test every day for the next 3 days.Apparently the effects may not show before then. Thank goodness for insurance  ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

Britlin

Hello, I'm new to the forum and as a dog owner am delighted to see "pets corner".  Emaggie, I do hope Mollie makes a full and speedy recovery.  We had a problem with a rat a few years back, the man who came to sort it out for us was so careful with the poison.  He placed it where not even our springer could get to it.  Macadamia nuts is another big no no for dogs, they can cause paralysys.  Earlier this year our Brittany, Rudi, gave us a real scare when he seemed to lose the use of his front legs.  By the time we had got him into the car to take him to the vet he was fine.  They could find nothing wrong and we came home much relieved although a few founds lighter in the wallet.  Sometime later similar episode but rear legs this time, didn't rush to vet and sure enough, he recovered quickly.  We then read on the web about Macadamias being poisonous for dogs.  Were able to link both episodes with giving him a coupe of macadamias as a treat.  Hate to think what could have happened.  :'( 

Welsummerman,  can't begin to imagine how you feel on the loss of your spaniels. :'(  There really should be much stronger controls on these things >:(
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 11:17:48 by Britlin »
A friend is one who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Thanks Britlin, so far,so good.
I didn't know about macadamia nuts, but forewarned is forearmed--Mollie will eat most things. (glad to say she loves veg) Wont give her nuts, though.
Sorry to hear about your Springers Welsummerman, can't begin to imagine how you felt.  :'(
Smile, it confuses people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal