Author Topic: Eagle Owl  (Read 4326 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: Eagle Owl
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 09:36:50 »
Hi Robert!

I thought there were talks about doing that...reintroducing wolves? Wonder if it will ever happen?

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 16:36:54 »
Actually it already HAS happened. A small packof wolves have been released in a secret location here in Scotland.

As to the Eagle Owls spreading naturally up this way - why not!!! They seldom take anything bigger than rabbits and we certainly have plenty of those around haven't we?

Now I'm not quite so keen on the fact that some idiot released a few hand-reared birds within towns and cities recently. The only food source readily available to them were small dogs and cats. Thankfully they seem to have moved out into the countryside under their own volition now - either that or they have perished  - as none of them have been spotted in a while.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2005, 18:43:43 »
Hand reared birds would be at risk as they'd be too friendly with people. Are you serious about the wolves? I was up in the Highlands climbing a lot in the 70's, and the overgrazing I saw was massive. They'd be a really good thing.

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2005, 23:49:25 »
Yes perfectly serious Robert but I can't divulge where for obvious reasons. Only a small pack but everyone's hoping they survive the winter ok and that the Alpha male and female go on to breed next year. They're well away from even the romotest human habitation and should help to keep the deer herds and rabbits down a bit. No further plans to release any more in the near future.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2005, 20:33:47 »
I could guess. The number of really remote areas is a bit limited, and it would have to be as remote as possible to avoid any possible panic about mad wolves eating the local population.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 20:38:15 by Robert_Brenchley »

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2005, 20:06:49 »
 :D

On the BBC Scotland news programme tonight it was reported that an Eagle Owl is currently roosting in a tree in the centre of Inverness.  Hope there are plenty rabbits around.

blight

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2005, 23:06:51 »
the eagle owl used to be a native bird in britain, which seems obvious considering the fact  that ist´s not a major task for any bird to cross the channel.
but like other big birds  it has been eradicated by man. have the storks returned by the way, as they have to most parts of western europe?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal