Author Topic: Eagle Owl  (Read 4327 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Eagle Owl
« on: November 16, 2005, 20:26:03 »
I am watching a t.v. programme about the Eagle Owl which is now breeding in Yorkshire.  Apparently they found a pair of Eagle Owls had been breeding there since 1997 and have produced 20 young.  These are magnificent birds with a huge wingspan of about 1 metre.  Good luck to them and hope they continue to breed here and spread throughout the country but someone will be objecting.  It has not been established whether the birds take lambs.  They eat rabbits, hares and foxes. 

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
Re: Eagle Owl
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 22:02:27 »
They are beautiful looking birds.

An eagle owl was seen in Newcastle city centre a few years ago, and landed on a nearby

wall where I worked - we were all treated to a close up view.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 22:14:17 »
Not entirely convinced that they ever really were here before so unlike the reintroduction of bustards, beavers and wolves I am not sure I really want them here.  Not bothered about the lambs but they will also take our own native raptors and will consume our wildlife at an alarming rate.  May have to put them on the same list as the grey squirrel and the mink.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 08:38:49 »
Let them be thats what I say, what a beautiful bird and after watching the programme last night I think that there are plenty of rabbits for them to feed on in this country, they did not seem to bothered about getting the lambs to me.  Wonder if they could pick up a taste for wood pigeons?

Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 08:41:35 »
I think it will be one species to keep an eye on. For the beauty of it and the amount of damage, if any to the other animals.  :)

RSJK

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 09:05:50 »
Had to smile to myself last night when it said that they did not know if it was allowed to live in this country as it had not been a native of this country for 200 years,  Made me think of illegal immigrants for some reason.  Can we not get the Social to help them out with there nesting costs etc.

;D  ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 12:11:16 »
What if they take grey squirrel and mink Redclanger ??!!  :)

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 12:24:07 »

EAGLE OWL
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 12:26:08 by Glyn »

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 13:37:43 »
I am in agreement that the Eagle Owl should be allowed to stay (who will stop them).   Well they could all get shot I suppose.  They seemed perfectly happy rearing their young on rabbits and as Richard said they were not too keen on even looking at the lambs.  I would be delighted if a pair of them nested up this way and took away the many thousands of wood pigeons and rabbits.

:D :D :D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 14:09:31 »
I'm with you Carol. I'd love to see them up here. Wardy spied one in Seahouses when she was on her hols. I wondered last night if it was one of the twenty that the pair in North Yorks. had bred?   

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 20:53:29 »
I doubt whether they'll do much harm; these things are right at the top of the foodchain so the population density will be too low for mass extermination.

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 21:24:54 »
 ;D ;D

According to the BBC programme.  I think the main worry with the Eagle Owl was the Cats it may take.  folks pets!!!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 21:43:28 »
Had to smile to myself last night when it said that they did not know if it was allowed to live in this country as it had not been a native of this country for 200 years,  Made me think of illegal immigrants for some reason.  Can we not get the Social to help them out with there nesting costs etc.

;D  ;D
Having said what I said above - I am very positive about all human immigration.  Can't be any worse than the rest of us.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 12:45:16 »
Carol I personally could accept the possibility of my cat getting taken by a predator more than I ever could if he was run over or died of cancer.  Obviously I'd prefer it if he lived a long happy life and died of old age.  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 20:26:06 »
They'll eat anything from beetles and worms up to deer fawns, so I can well imagine them having the odd cat. They'd probably keep away from built-up areas in the main, so I wouldn't expect many pets to be killed.

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005, 09:25:03 »

;D  ;D

Oh well said Richard ;D ;D..the program was really good, wish they'd make more like this, what a beautiful creature, a bit scary, not one I'd like to bump into on a dark night but magnificent.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 20:51:03 »
Been thinking about all this.

My OH said what if a pair Eagle Owls moved into the quarry which is a handful of miles away from us. Would I be happy about our cat then? Well I'd never know if he'd been taken would I? He'd just disappear...had that happen twice before with cats. Also I reckon it was a whole load of what ifs. Especially as between my nearest quarry and us there must be thousands of rabbits.

Then Robert mentioning that they take deer fawns. Surely that is more acceptable than the cull they've been talking about on the news?  Eight thousand deer in the Highlands.  Do the deer do so well because they don't have a natural predator?  Only man, who probably picks out the best trophies with his gun.

I am tending to think there is room for the Eagle Owls.

RSJK

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005, 07:53:47 »
I agree with everything you have said there Heldi.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005, 17:12:57 »
I have held an eagle owl.  The owl man came and gave a talk at cubs.  For some reason I thought they would be light.  It was like holding an oven ready chicken in your outstretched hand.  Really heavy.
Get with the beat Baggy

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 07:35:12 »
What they need in Scotland is wolves. They'll hunt red deer quite happily.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal