Author Topic: How near your home is your allotment? Advice please  (Read 10011 times)

sid

• Half Acre
Re: How near your home is your allotment? Advice please
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2005, 19:43:34 »
i must b the luckey one my allot is at the back of my garden only takes 15 sec walk lol  ;D but i would go for the one closest to u

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2005, 13:20:16 »
Just found this thread - very interesting as it isn't looking good on me getting a plot near to home.  As it is we don't have any at all in our tiny village and the nearest look full up.  I was wondering if the effort of getting in the car and going further afield would dampen my enthusiasm  :-\  I would imagine the next closest (and no idea if they have any available) would be a 15 min drive away.
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

zaz283

• Quarter Acre
  • Life's just too short
    • Allotment Heaven
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2005, 14:11:33 »
Mine is about 3/4ml away, so until I get a shed to put stuff in it'll be under 5min by car. Once the shed is up & I can keep tools there I'll walk, about 10 mins.

One of important factors for me was to have in walking distance ... what better way to start & end a stress busting day on the allotment than to idly wander there & back, particularly in summer!

Keep my fingers crossed for you.
We can wish & we can wish
But we can never have
What once seemed ours forever

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2005, 14:17:05 »
Thanks.  Ideally a nice amble there and back would be perfect and I envy those that can do this - my dad only has to fall out of his front door! ..... but I guess a drive in the car is better than no allotment at all.... :)
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

iain

• Half Acre
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2005, 14:56:04 »
my lottie is a 5 mins in the car, about 10 mins on the bike and 20 to 30  mins walk from home, but if I am @ work it is just a 2 min walk.
I don't have a shed @ the moment, but I will get one soon.
I will be buying a trailer so I can transport my tools and any veg and flowers I havest.
There is also a pub on the way.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 05:49:29 by iain »

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2005, 20:52:03 »
I have one veg. garden at home and my extra vegetable garden is in the grounds were I work.
Very handy. During lunchtime and after work. Tools are supplied in shed for all gardeners, toilets and showers. Ideal. A few minutes drive and stress free at home. ;D

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2006, 23:21:06 »
Hi purplesmiley,

I have just taken on an allotment 6 miles from my home.  Not through choice,  but after waiting for ages and taking that which was available. 

My advice would be to take into account what it is that you do each day.  My OH and I pass the allotment on our way to work twice each daily - (together passing with kids at various times on the weekend) which makes it workable - and an opportunity to show the kids that veggies don't grow in a bag.

Finally ....Take what is on offer.....but first clarify what you are accepting and which waiting list you can remain on for your primary choice.

Regards     

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2006, 23:40:19 »
Ours is a 2 minutes walk away which usually (in summer) takes 1/2 hour because of the people you talk to on the way.

We exercise our dogs in the fields behind the allotments so either myself or my wife check up on the chickens @ least twice a day, which is handy because they always knock their water over!

I find it easier to go up there for shorter more frequent visits than long occasional visits. This is especially important when things need watering or the caterpillars/slugs are active

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2006, 16:03:46 »
Mine is about 5 mins by car/ 15 mins on foot. It's the other side of the golf course next to our house so in theory I could just cross the golf course. In practice however I don't think the golfers would be too thrilled!

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2006, 18:42:52 »
mines  15 mins away walking
grow your own way

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2006, 16:56:51 »
Mine is about 10 minutes walk, through the park and past the bus garage.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

Daisy_Jane

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2006, 14:58:38 »
Mine's about 20mins on foot, 8 by bike and probably the same in the car. It's hard to choose if you have that luxury. The lottie I chose is on a v. small site, only 20 plots and the soil is verging on clay. I could have accepted a sandy soil plot, with good views but hungry deer who like to compete to eat the veg, ten minutes in the opp direction by car. Then there was the promise by the local parish council of opening up a site three minutes away from our house (newish etate with land reserved for allotments).

Glad I chose the site I did, it's on my cycle route to work, has good security and water troughs; people a very friendly. Only down side is no loo which limits my stay to around three hours..........

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2006, 15:56:39 »
Mine is a 7 minutes walk, 4 minutes cycle ride. There is a closer one at the end of our road, but it's very small and I never see anyone there, so I opted for the  bigger side. However,  the deciding factor was  the view. The plot I chose is on a site with a lovely secluded feel.  My plot is also the closest one to the lottie gate, which makes it so much easier when I carry buckets of compost from the car.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2006, 18:24:09 »
Mine is 3 miles away, 10/15 mins by car depending on traffic, 20 mins by bike almost all on cycle trail and off road  ;D nad too far to walk! Although I have a couple of times.
There is a closer site to us, but it is very neglected, few plots taken, no water, no security and part scheduled for redevelopment (plus side is improvements will happen to rest of site.) Also tests last year showed soil contamination. So no choice but to go further afield. Plus side is nice location, friendly people, water, parking - and now i've put in lots of work on my plot.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal