Author Topic: How near your home is your allotment? Advice please  (Read 10123 times)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: How near your home is your allotment? Advice please
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2005, 15:58:36 »
MIne is a 20 minute walk or 5 minuts by car and car wins everytime!   The big advantage is that often I will stop off on my to or from work for 30 minutes or so just to wander about and gran a few weeds or some harvest.  As a result it does get plenty of attention which would be lacking if I had to make an effort to get there everytime!

I do like the idea ofa  wee tipple in between fighting bindweed though - maybe a conversion to walking (or staggering  ;)) is looming...

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

muggs

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2005, 08:55:31 »
Ours is a 5 minute walk, and we had a choice of further away. We take the car at the moment as we dont have a shed, but its on its way!!

We have to pass the pub on the way home too.... ::)

Emma K

• Not So New ...
    • Losing The Plot
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2005, 09:54:08 »
I can get to my allotment by hopping over the ditch at the bottom of our garden - although I'm not supposed to and usually do it when noone's looking - otherwise it's a 2 minute bike ride away - riding your bike with a hoe and fork in hand is an art form the requires alot of practice!!
I like wine food and gardening...

My allotment blog www.losingtheplot.blogspot.com

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 14:37:24 »
Mine is a good 20 min cycle away. but is on the way home from work so I often pop down for a potter on my way home. I could have opted for a plot 5 min walk from home, but I chose this one because it's away from the main road so is lovely and peaceful, like being in the countryside.  We also have a good lottie association and shop, and security.

mm-b

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2005, 16:06:23 »
Hi
My allotment is a good 20 to 30 minute drive away from me.
I chose it as Id been there before and knew it was nice and they had plots straight away.
The allotments near me had waiting lists of about 3 years, werent very private and the locals looked at me as if I was a bit strange, being a girl I suppose.
Melanie :)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2005, 16:15:06 »
The one I've just got is about 10 minutes in the car - the nearest were full with waiting lists so went for the next nearest with vacancies. And yes, it was hard to spot - drove past it once before I spotted it a high fence/gate between two buildings. But then you drive through the gate and the whole site just opens out into 51 10-rod plots!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2005, 19:09:37 »
I'm lucky. My plot is a couple of mins walk away. If it wasn't for a railway bridge I'd be able to see it from my front window.

reedos

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2005, 22:54:28 »
Mine's five minutes in the car, about 10 minutes on a bike there and about half an hour back up the side of a mountain, at least it feels like that when you've got a stone of tatties in your rucksack.

powerspade

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2005, 06:04:31 »
Go for the nearest plot, my plot is at the end of my street about 1 min walk

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2005, 09:46:10 »
did a test walk to new allotment with son in buggy yesterday, took 18 mins. don't have shed though so will take car to begin with - unfortunately a combination of bollards, dual carriageway and absence of crucial roundabout mean it takes over 10 mins to drive to anyway.

On a good note, when i got to site i found that the first of my beds had been rotovated by superstar lottie rep - hurrah!!
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2005, 15:31:19 »
Ours is 15 - 20 minutes walk, or 3 -5 minutes drive. I try to walk when I can with the buggy, as it is a pleasant route. I find that the main advantage of taking a car is that if you get caught in the rain you can make a sharp exit in the dry!
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2005, 22:14:31 »
I'm another 5 mins in car, 10 mins walk person. Ok 15 mins walk back up the hill... Luckily the little alleyways between houses (I want to call them jitties :) but they don't call them that down here!) shorten the walk considerably.

The advantage to car is that it's my travelling toolbox and veg transporter. There are occasions when I walk, often with a cold bottle of wine which I share with a couple of others up there, and a rucksack, and carry stuff home in that.

Sometimes I have too much to even carry back to the car in one journey let alone the house!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2005, 09:11:59 »
Consider myself fortunate, my plot is just over the road, visible from my window, 10 secs walk or 5 mins if the traffic is bad as it is a sticky junction.

It still amazes me that cars continue to accelerate towards me, having come from nowhere when I'm carrying armfuls of tools and buckets - I refuse to jump, I'd rather hurl the forks and shovels at them!   :o

RosieM

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2005, 22:58:22 »
Our lottie is just outside our back door. so no more than 30 seconds away.  :) We were lucky it came with a shed too  ;D

micsmum

• Half Acre
  • Gottie Lottie Now!
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2005, 13:27:46 »
 ;D mine is at the end of my road but once on the allotment site, getting to our plot is like climbing the north face of the Eiger!
Helen

OldWolf

• Not So New ...
    • Welcome to the Evetts Allotment
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2005, 12:48:34 »
mine is only 15 mins tops by car :)

powerspade

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2005, 14:57:39 »
My plot at the end of the street

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2005, 15:40:13 »
15mins walking.

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2005, 23:29:30 »
Mine is 5 mins by car and 15 walking.  I drive it at the moment as I have no shed and have to lug stuff there and back.  Luckily my ploit neighbour lets me store my fork and spade in her greenhouse.

As for why they are difficult to find; very often sites were created in landlocked parcels of land between rows of housing (like mine is) and access is by a path or gate tucked away between a couple of houses.  I suppose these sites are fairly safe from development as theya re landlocked and have no possibility of road access.
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2005, 21:18:48 »
My allotment is a 25 min walk away, or 5 mins in the car. At the moment I use the car as I don't have a shed to store my tools. I don't think my daughter would be too happy with them piled on her lap in the buggy!  ;D

I do feel very guilty using the car. Maybe I will get a trailer for my bike! Will have to de-rust my bike first!  ;D

There are some allotments about 2 mins walk from my house, but unfortunately they are all taken. I'm sure if I had one of these I would spend more time at my lottie.

Just put your name on all the lists and see what comes up! Even if you take one on that isn't ideal, you can still be in the running for others.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal