Author Topic: Advice on cheap greenhouse/polytunnel  (Read 26456 times)

paddyx

• Not So New ...
Advice on cheap greenhouse/polytunnel
« on: November 02, 2005, 08:35:23 »
Hi,
Has anyone experienced "Quictent" polytunnel/greenhouses? We saw some on eBay last night (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Outdoor-Line-Store_Green-House_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQftidZ2QQtZkm)
They seem so much cheaper than other polytunnels or greenhouses, and our allotment has a bit of shelter, so we could probably stop it blowing away.
We though it would be handy as a cheap shed and as a greenhouse too. And a shelter when it rains on the lottie mid-dig - or it even looks as if we could move it to dry out a bit of ground so we can dig out bramble roots in all weathers.
What do you think? Will it be a big disappointment, or will it introduce us to the wonders of greenhouses?

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
Re: Advice on cheap greenhouse/polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 21:51:04 »
Almost seems to cheap to be true. I've never bought from them so I have no idea. Can you check their feedback?

paddyx

• Not So New ...
too cheap?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 07:02:18 »
Yes, it is very cheap, though I always think that polytunnels seem to be pretty pricey.
Their feedback seems OK, but people probably leave feedback to say that the goods have arrived, rather than after testing the product in real weather for a few months: Here in Bristol the rain's been insane recently!
But my cheap waterproofs have been good on my bike, so maybe a cheap greenhouse would work too?
It looks like it's a giant clothes drying rack with a cover!
Maybe I should get one and let everyone in the "under glass" (there's not an "under plastic" section) section know if it survives.
- Paddy

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 07:14:24 »
Looks like a bigger version of the one that Lidl had for sale in the spring.  Held together with bits of velcro.  Mine was used as a cold frame, and did for this year, dont know how long it will last though.  Dont forget that you still have the £20 postage on top.   Pays your money, takes your chance ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 08:29:41 »
Had the same thought as you Mimi. Was pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Lidl one, my only worry now is having dismantled it will I ever remember how to put it back together next spring? But am not at all sure about a giant version. Will wait for your verdict paddyx

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 20:50:36 »
Hi paddyx,   Have a look on a site called overthegardengate  I have written an artical on there that tells you how to make a very good polytunnel
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 14:20:54 »
Hey AlanP, thanks for that, it looks superb, just what I've been looking for

roundtoit

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 15:40:57 »
Hi there AlanP, can you confirm the address for "gardengate" ? have tried the obvious permutations but just get a blank window.

TA!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 21:38:35 »

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 13:53:20 »
Beat me to it MT,     Roundtoit  you will find it under the sub title (if that is the right word   ;D ) of GARDEN
Just one more allotment.

paddyx

• Not So New ...
Cheap greenhouse/polytunnel
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 12:56:51 »
Well, I've bought the eBay polytunnel... just got to wait around for cheque to clear etc. I'll let you all know whether it's a bargain or a big mistake when (if) it arrives!
Sunday's Gardners' Question Time reccommended Pak Choi, Corn Salad and Rocket, and Subarctic Plenty tomatos for winter growing. I've already got rocket + corn salad on the balcony of our flat. Winter tomatos would be nice! Anything else we can plant in there?
But mainly I hope to be able to use the tunnel to cover bare earth so we don't have to wait for a dry weekend to dig out those bramble/raspberry roots and plant our beans.
Do you think I could get away with late-november onion-planting and beans inside the polytunnel? I'm in Bristol, facing South East, so shouldn't be too cold.
Thanks for the polytunnel instructions link, by the way. It looks good, and much cheaper than buying a readymade one. I think we need something more portable though, and I couldn't pick up long pipes on my bike!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 20:34:05 »
Do keep us posted on this, I will be very interested to hear what you think of it.

Meanwhile I shall be looking out for scaffold poles & 50mm water pipe

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 19:19:26 »
Dont forget the scaffolding boards for round the edges MT.

Caught  a couple of chaps putting up scaffolding the other week and bought 10 planks for a £1 each after the boss had gone.  Got all the gear together for a 20ft x 12ft on No3 allotment, just need the weather to start and put it up now.

Just one more allotment.

paddyx

• Not So New ...
Got the polytunnel!
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 17:34:10 »
It's turned up already! Got a big box this morning - I don't think my cheque can have cleared yet but it's nice to be trusted!
The framework is sturdier than I suspected - steel pipes, not bendy at all: a bit like those heavy "family" tents. I got the one with the curved top 'cos I thought it would be stronger; but the "roof-shaped" ones are probably just as good (seem to get less bids too).
I'll see if we can put the thing up at the weekend and I'll try to get some photos and practical opinion out to y'all.
Happy hot-housing in the meantime
- paddyx

paddyx

• Not So New ...
The cheapest tunnel in town!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 12:50:10 »
Hi again,
I've put up some pictures of my new "cheap'n'cheerful" polytunnel on Purple Bug's reviews page http://www.floppycat.com/purple_bug/quictent.html
I had a long digging session on Sunday, trying to break up chunks of earth that's been covered in black poly for a long time (I'm thinking of using a hammer!) and
I put some onions in; hopefully they've survived Monday's frost. If I move the tunnel when they've grown a bit, do you think they'll survive the winter, or will their warm start make them too weak to go outside?

paranoid mandroid

• Quarter Acre
  • It's me!
    • 21st Century Good Life?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 13:47:35 »
the cost of delivery to northern ireland is £40 which takes the shine off the price. my 15ft x 20ft polytunnel was £215 but it was a real nightmare to put up and dig the trenches etc.
i hate the fact that if i want something delivered from mainland uk i might as well live on mars as northern ireland.
some wont even take orders from Northern Ireland!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 13:50:22 by paranoid mandroid »
Check out my blog. updated on wednesday 30th November 2005 you can say hello to my chickens ;D
http://21stcenturygoodlife.blogspot.com/

paddyx

• Not So New ...
It's still up
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 16:47:29 »
My new polytunnel was all frosty inside and out today, but the ground seemed OK and I think the onions I planted have survived. The ground was a lot drier than outside, so I could dig it over (and smash up the lumps of clays with a hammer!).

paddyx

• Not So New ...
It blew down!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 17:35:33 »
...but no damage done - I wrestled with it for a while in wind and rain while my boots got coated in huge chunks of clay as I tried to avoid my garlic and onion bulbs - when I'd got it up again, the weather went totally calm! Wish I'd got to the lottie half an hour later! It's a bit wonkier than it was, but hopefully it'll survive.

gledhillbo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 09:24:49 »
Has anyone any experience of the easy-assembly plastic glazed greenhouses from B&Q? Will they survive strong winds?

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 12:16:52 »
Do you mean the standard sized greenhouses which use polycarbonate sheeting instead of glass, or the smaller plastic framed models with polythene sheeting ?

On the first, it depends on the method of securing the polycarbonate sheets, I have one neighbour who is always having panels pop out. My other neighbour has had no problems, since his sheets are held in with continuous clip in strips.

On the other type of low cost greenhouse, they are generally not rugged enough for strong winds. I have seen them torn apart by gusting winds, which can be very demoralising.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal