Author Topic: joining greenhouses  (Read 6107 times)

the_plotter

• Not So New ...
  • aaarg rain again!
joining greenhouses
« on: December 31, 2005, 00:11:29 »
i fancy buying two 8x6 b&q greenhouses and joining them end to end. my old 8x8 is passed its sell by date. has anyone joint two greenhouses together before and is there a kit you can buy?
    the plotter

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: joining greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 01:23:04 »
I don't know about kits, but I would imagine it is well within the scope of anyone with simple DIY skills. The two back ends could be basically butted together, and bolted through, and just not fit all of the rails as you will want to walk through.By inserting a timber bridging piece between the two, you could use woodscrews, and where the roof and gutters tend to over hang, this would be accommodated readily.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 09:38:05 »
I would put them door to door, but leave a gap and bridge it with some thing like a small car port. That way you can have a hot and a cold space or open the doors and have a long cooler area. The 'carport' space would make a  decent all weather potting/work area.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 11:42:16 »
I have done this 2 ways
Two 8x6 for an old guy who is a mate of mine  ..We did his a few years ago
taking back out of one and most of back out of the other .There weren't any probs as I can remember it looked like it had been made that way except for a small gap in the long ridge bar.....We put a wooden base down to put this on so that weren't a problem

The other way I have done it is  for myself with a 6x6 and an 8x6. This I did differently I joined them back to back but I removed all inside down struts out of  the 6x6 ..But left  all but middle glass in the 8x6..These greenhouses  for a few years had been separates on different lotties.. ..The only thing I  had to do was take a cross member out off one of the bases.. I then butted em up with a very slight overlap  and bolted them together inside, 2  bolts each side..I then silicon ed the joints up..
I can still walk through it as a 14x6  with a door at each end but  can drape something down in middle gap to the 6x6 if I want to heat it as in bringing seeds on etc...
 The only difference with this way is I have a 1 inch gap or so between gutters with leaving the backs in ..Jim
Cheers .. Jim

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 12:36:05 »
I joined two greenhouses together. I used the aluminium strips sold as draught excluders/carpet edging. These I drilled and drilled the g/houses. The usual bolts and nuts as supplied with the g/houses were long enough.  I only joined them like this as the site is rather windy. Otherwise just butting them together and covering the gap with aluminium tape would probably be adequate.
Gardening is the great leveller.

lynndan16

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 12:55:17 »
I joined two 6x6 greenhouses together. I used two bolts back and front and two on each side of the ridgeftp://

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c303/lynndan16/P6060033.jpg
Work like you don’t need money
Love like you’ve never been hurt
Dance like nobody’s watching
Sing like nobodys listening
Live like its heaven on earth

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 16:29:02 »
That certainly looks impressive Growmore ...

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 19:13:00 »
theres a similar post somewhere, we go and see if i can find it.

but the problem that people said was heating a large GH isnt as easy as heating two seperate ones.

so i would keep the door on one. and the glass. then just take the glass out of the back of one. join them, then they are together but are still two seperate GH's that can have different temperatures etc.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 10:33:17 »
 Your garden looks well Lynndan .. There's some work gone into that ...Jim
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 10:35:43 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

lynndan16

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 12:15:03 »
Thanks Growmore.  Thats our allotment.  Its a big square corner plot (3 allotments in one let out as a single plot)  Here's the other half
ftp://[img width= height= alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c303/lynndan16/P4130021.jpg[/img]
It was just a couch grass/mares tail field when we took over.  Got rid of the couch and just have to live with the mares tail. >:(
Lynn
Work like you don’t need money
Love like you’ve never been hurt
Dance like nobody’s watching
Sing like nobodys listening
Live like its heaven on earth

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal