Author Topic: I've done a Doris!!  (Read 2160 times)

undercarriage plan

I've done a Doris!!
« on: October 31, 2005, 17:53:05 »
OK, this is a first!! I cooked!! From my head, and not from book! Probably cadged numerous peeps ideas though :-\.......OK so here goes nothing...
Took pumpkin, roasted it in olive oil and sea salt and black pepper, sauteed (posh word even!!) 1 huge onion, and some leftover celery, added chicken stock, carrots, pink fir pots and boiled manically....touch more salt and pepper....added pumpkin, cumin and some hot chili powder, whizzed the lot round in a blender, added some coconut milk....and it worked!! Whehay!! They all ate it, bar Daniel of course, but it wasn't out of  tin.... ::) ::) ::) Kitchen now resembles bomb site, and I seem to be wearing more soup than I ate...but still...big grin!!

agapanthus

• Hectare
Re: I've done a Doris!!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 19:53:55 »
Sounds gorgeous....gonna add it to my recipe collection and make it tomorrow night for supper ;D ;D ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 19:56:40 »
Awwww are you really???  ;D ;D ;D Erm you do have medical insurance I presume..... ;) Am not known for my cooking skills, Agapanthus! Let me know how you go, just so's I know you ok...... :-\ ;)
Lottie

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 20:00:35 »
Will do. Was reading one of your posts earlier..are you in Woodbridge??
Not too far from me!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 20:14:48 »
Yes!!! So yes!! Us Suffolk veg growers seem few and far between.......Where are you????
Lottie  ;D

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 21:45:10 »
Just down the road in Ipswich ;D ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 22:09:53 »
Well done Lottie!!!  go girl  ;D  Now remember to WRITE it down, my family are always moaning cos I make stuff up and then next time don't have a clue what I did! ;D ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 22:15:23 »
I make up stuff as I go along and I think stuff always works out well - nearly always anyway  :P    Made celeriac and potato soup tonight and whizzed it up with my new whizzer and I now have it all over my specs and can barely see the monitor  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 01:06:14 »
That sounded delicious Lottie.  As Doris says write it down, I've done the same thing, whizzed something up that was fab and had trouble replicating it because I couldn't remember how I did it exactly.  :P ;D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 03:17:38 »
U.P. when you say 'you took a pumpkin & roasted it'......do you mean you shoved it in the oven 'whole' just as you either pick it or buy it....complete in the outer skin??

sorry to ask what may seem a ridiculous question but I know nothing about pumpkins but would like to try the odd recipe or two!.....I don't grow them but they'll be practically giving them away in the next day or two in shops!!

Then of course you said you 'added it to the other ingredients then put in blender' so presume at some stage you had to cut it up into manageable pieces  :-\

So this is a thick soup then?

I've got a Phillips Blender which I've had for years but can't get very big quantities into it,without danger of being 'smothered by contents' pushing the lid up, even with my hand & a cloth pressed firmly on the top - what do most people use?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 08:42:06 »
It's good roasted in the oven in wedges with other veggies.  When making it into soup I cut it into chunks and when it's cooked I liquidise it in batches  :)  You can prick it all over and put it in the micro prior to roasing if you wish as this speeds up the cooking process.  I did this for a smallish one that I wanted for adding to some pilaff I was making, then I fried it off a little to brown it a bit.  Squash is good mixed with spuds to make a squash mash  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

undercarriage plan

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 09:22:28 »
Thanks all! And nope I haven't written it down, but will do...though will that take the "Doris Factor" away? ;D ;),will have returned to having nose in book, measuring each granule.... ::) ::) ::)
Hot Potato, I used the insides that I'd removed from pumpkin carving, put that in roasting tin, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned. So it was in manageable pieces. Wasn't too thick cos I think pumpkin is quite a watery veg. But I know some roast the whole thing!! My oven not big enough..
Wardy, sounds gorgeous, mashed!! will inflict that tonight, poor family don't realize I have some left..... ;D
Agapanthus!! So close!! Only few miles away, if you fancy get together, PM and will be well behaved promise..... ;D ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:48:55 by undercarriage plan »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal