Author Topic: Aloe Vera  (Read 4368 times)

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
Aloe Vera
« on: October 31, 2005, 13:11:57 »
My neighbour has very kindly given me an Aloe Vera plant, I have no conservatory and only small kitchen - the plant is approx 20cm tall where is a good location.  I m sure someone out there will know where I should put this little plant!!!!!

thanks

If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

joji

• Hectare
Re: Aloe Vera
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 14:03:28 »
Hi Delilah

Because Aloe plants consist of 95% water, they are extremely frost tender. If they are grown outdoors in warm climates, they should be planted in full sun, or light shade. The soil should be moderately fertile, and fast draining. Established plants will survive a drought quite well, but for the benefit of the plant, water should be provided.
Because of their popularity, Aloe vera plants are available at almost every garden shop or nursery. Unless you live in area with a very mild climate, it's best to leave your Aloe plant in the pot and place it near a window that gets a lot of sun. You can move the pot outdoors during the summer months.
Aloe vera is a succulent, and as such, stores a large quantity of water within its leaves and root system. During the winter months, the plant will become somewhat dormant, and utilize very little moisture. During this period watering should be minimal. Allow the soil to become completely dry before giving the plant a cup or two of water. During the summer months, the soil should be completely soaked, but then be allowed to dry again before re-watering.
Aloes have a shallow, spreading root system, so when it is time to repot choose a wide planter, rather than a deep one. Use a planter with a drainage hole, or provide a 1-2 inch layer of gravel in the bottom of the pot to ensure adequate drainage. Use a good commercial potting mix with extra perlite, granite grit, or coarse sand added. You may also use a packaged 'cacti mix' soil. Fertilize yearly, in the spring with a dilute (half strength)

Hope this helps you out  :)

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 15:12:17 »
I have one in the conservatory and one in the Kitchen. They are both equally happy. Try yours in the kitchen. it will soon tell you if its not happy.

AC

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 15:53:31 »
I have mine on the dining table and it just keeps getting bigger  :)
MM

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 17:50:21 »
I have just been given half a dozen cuttings.

How big are these things going to get?

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 18:05:57 »
Well mine is approximately 32" wide and at least 18" tall from the top of the pot. :)

MM

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 19:52:17 »
Oooerrr! Have one on kitchen wondow too, cut bits of the end for bites, grazes etc, but think one that size would take up sink too....!! Sounds gorgeous!
Lottie  ;D

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 19:54:10 »
Merlins Mum - flippin eck how long did it take to grow that big?
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 20:21:38 »
I must have bought it some time in June of last year and then it was about 9" wide and probably the same across.   I was out shopping with my niece and she is fascinated by them, must keep squeezing the leaves. ::)  Anyway I thought it would be rather nice to have but must admit I was surprised she didn't get one too, now I know why maybe  ;D
I have thought about cutting off some of the outer leaves  :-\

MM

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 20:23:08 »
Maybe I should add that I have never fed it, just give it some water when I remember ::)

MM

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 21:33:21 »
I keep mine on sunny windowsills, they grow at an amazing rate (sideways), putting up new shoots. Established plants need dividing once they fill a pot. I pot on into half a pot of compost topped up with coarse gravel.  :)

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 14:15:45 »
I have 2 in pots outdoors but not doing too well.  I don't think they get enough sun.  They didn't get watered much either during winter.

What I have noticed is that only half of the pots have soil in it.

Will it be a bad thing to put them up now while they are in a bad state?
I have put 1 in the 'sun' for a week but no improvement.

What can I use instead of gravel to fill up the top of the pot if I replant?

Thanks
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 17:55:59 »
Aloe plants are happier in pots that are flatter more than tall. There root system in quite shallow. So anyone who pots on needs a pot that is wider than it is tall. You won't have to pot on so often and there is room for the pups (baby plants ) to grow from the sides of the adult plant:)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 19:00:25 »
I have six. Two in the conservatory three, in the bedroom and two in the downstairs loo. Actually that makes seven.  No special treatment. Watered sparingly which translates to "when I remember". All in bog standard compost with a bit of grit in it. 

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 19:17:33 »
I had one which I have now given away.  It was brought back for me from the Canary Islands and the label said "Water only when the soil is dry".  Likes the warmth and will die if left in the frost.

I felt sorry for the poor little thing as I am leaving everything behind  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  So someone kind took her in for me.  :)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 12:00:01 »
Mine been flowers this early May. Is the first time seen I brought them back from Hong Kong 5 years ago. ;) It reminds me home then ;)
But why sometime I found some little "white cotton stuff" around all the leaves. No matter how I clean them. it came back after a few months >:( >:(
And I keep pulling the side shoots away because it getting bigger & bigger ;D   yuet

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 18:18:31 »
Yuet
Your pot is over crowded. You need to put one plant per pot :)

It will be heathier for it. ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 19:57:57 »
White cotton stuff could be mealy bug, which is a common pest of suculents. A dab of methylated spirit will soon kill it.

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 22:35:25 »
Thank you Robert ;)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 16:09:59 »
My little Aloe, which I got early this year, is now having it's second baby. I'm very surprised at this time of the year. Should I move it away from the radiator? (It's on the living room window sill). The first baby is now as big as mum was when I got her!
gone to pot :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal