Author Topic: Old Gardening Book  (Read 1820 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Old Gardening Book
« on: October 29, 2005, 13:55:15 »
My next door neighbour has found in his 1894 house an old gardening book.  He found it in the loft where he's been all morning battling with squirrels  ;D  It's in really good condition and I'm going to sit down with a cuppa and go through it as he's given it to me  :)  I'm hoping it's got some really good tips for pest control and such  :)

It's called My Gardener - A Practical Handbook For the Million by H W Ward, FRHS and was written in 1891.  On the inside cover is an advert for Sutton's Seeds and a collection of veg seeds for a large garden for the whole year cost £2 2s 0d  :)  or only 10s 6d for a small garden

It's got chapters on Culture of Veg, Cultural Work in the Kitchen Garden and Allotments, Culture of Fruit and Culture of Flowers.  All the pictures are lovely botanical prints and there are some great ones of potatoes.  Tonight's reading sorted  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Old Gardening Book
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 15:11:32 »
You lucky, lucky lady! I adore things like that!

I have a few - one is an early 1960's Percy Thrower (full of ghastly chemical remedies for anything that moves!), another a book I got recently from a social club fete, on Fruit Cuiltivation by someone whose name I can't remember, and I'm really looking forward to reading it when I get back from hols.

I really hope you enjoy it, such things are gems to be treasured, please let us know the best bits, in anticipation, jennym.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 16:24:31 »
Wardy - what a lovely book to be able to browse thru.....do you mean he's given it to you to keep or just while you enjoy your cuppa??.....I'm envious too - would love it....

have also got quite an old book but not as old as the one you've got - all my life it had been 'sitting on' one of my Dad's bookshelves and referred to from time to time....it's called 'Gardening Encyclopaedia' by William H. Steer - first published in 1943 - sadly doesn't contain colour plates but has over 900 entries with 80 practical diagrams and also makes reference to 'the allotment' with a layout & cropping plan etc. and a year's work shown month by month....

Since Dad died a year ago, it's now sitting on my bookshelf and if only  I looked at it more often - maybe I wouldn't ask 'stupid questions' like I do sometimes  ::)....I forget this books there - your message has reminded me!!

thanks.....enjoy your read.....H.P.

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 22:14:49 »
Ooh Wardy, how lovely - I've got a few old books that i've picked up here & there, my fave is 'Secrets of Successful Gardening' by Richard Sudell FRHS which was previously owned by a Mr E J Edwards (he wrote his name in the front) and on the back pages he's written several recipes for different potting mixes and fertilisers. Would love to know
when it was printed as it doesn't say anywhere.

Enjoy reading yours

Chloe
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 23:44:46 »
I've only scanned through it but it seems the most versatile killer of pests is a mixture of lime and soot  :)

powerspade

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 06:51:13 »
I picked up Percy Throwers book "Pictire book of Gardening" its full of DDT,and other deadly posions, I also have a book byRichard Sudell called " The New Illustrated Gardening Encyclopeadia " which was my Grandfathers it is the best for my needs

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 19:54:59 »
Wardy ; ;D
Really hope its Interesting.....If he finds a Book by
J.R  Hartley  Let me Know !! OK.  ;) Take care
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 22:27:14 »
Will do Tulip  ;D   I've been reading the preamble in this book and it sounds as if it was written just as the Allotment Act was coming into being

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal