Author Topic: weblog?  (Read 6005 times)

paranoid mandroid

• Quarter Acre
  • It's me!
    • 21st Century Good Life?
weblog?
« on: October 27, 2005, 13:18:21 »
i was toying with the idea of doing a weblog of my experiences with my garden/chickens/polytunnel along with trying new things in the future (wind/solar power and geese definitely).  i would have pics and hopefully videos and would like suggestions from everyone about what to put in it or maybe a few unusual things to grow/try next season.

maybe someone from here is already doing the same thing?

feedback/suggestions would be great  :)
Check out my blog. updated on wednesday 30th November 2005 you can say hello to my chickens ;D
http://21stcenturygoodlife.blogspot.com/

undercarriage plan

Re: weblog?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 13:21:26 »
Hey Paranoid, there's alot of info about weblogs in the Allotmant News bit, or is it Location and sites...mmm not sure....Anyway have a look, and good luck!
Lottie  ;D

paranoid mandroid

• Quarter Acre
  • It's me!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 13:30:12 »
i should have done a search on the site - doh!
i think i'll go ahead with it and get things started tonight. i'll post the address here or the other thread when i do. i am building an extension to my house at the minute so that will give me some 'material' to work with.

thanks
Check out my blog. updated on wednesday 30th November 2005 you can say hello to my chickens ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 13:33:40 »
I'll look forward to seeing it! Have fun!
Lottie  ;D

paranoid mandroid

• Quarter Acre
  • It's me!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 13:41:40 »
i just checked your blog out - i dont mean to sound rude but you're a bit of a looker - and you dont look anywhere near 39. maybe i'll put a pic of me on my weblog... eventually  ;)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 15:24:47 »

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 17:45:27 »
my blog - like my photo - is too scary to publicise... 8)
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 18:51:08 »
Blimey! They're so proffessional! Am very impressed, but will say no more, as must be long over due a hard stare for computer question in edibles....... ;) ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 19:52:28 »
You won't think mine's very professional, I'm usually too pushed to write much (in my signature). It's been rather neglected since I was ill over the summer.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 20:11:21 »
Actually, Robert, is very interesting! Especially since I happen to have in my possession several Roman coins!! LOL! There's a little man who takes his metal detector over Dad's farm, and having a real interest in history, Dad passes things to me!! I'm also in charge of the family bible, which is very scary!! Has all the hand written entries of birth/deaths etc for the last 200 yrs.....Love it! But am too terrified to make entries at min..... ::) ::) ::) Hope you're feeling better.
Lottie  ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 10:05:57 »
Interesting Robert - I too have a passion for Roman and have a ring, two lamps and a hairpin to start my collection off.  Haven't dug anything up yet though despite living in Lincoln  :(
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 10:50:51 »
I haven't tried detecting, but ancient coins are totally addictive. Here's one of my favourites (Probus, 276-82). He was a successful general who siezed power, and dreamed of being able to do without the need for an army. He was eventually lynched by soldiers who rioted over having to do agricultural work.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 10:52:39 by Robert_Brenchley »

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 10:58:31 »
I haven't tried detecting, but ancient coins are totally addictive. Here's one of my favourites (Probus, 276-82). He was a successful general who siezed power, and dreamed of being able to do without the need for an army. He was eventually lynched by soldiers who rioted over having to do agricultural work.

well, you know, these allotments are risky things!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 20:52:08 »
Think it's probably a complete waste of time posting this pic!! The coins are filthy, I have no idea how to clean them!! The camera is crap!! But, I thought you may recognise something, Robert!! LOL! WOuld happily send them to get an idea of what they are! Know some are Roman, but some not...Oh well, here goes nothing!!  Lottie   ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 21:52:40 »
You've got a mixture here. The big ones are what are called 'slugs', ie coins with the detail worn off. They're probably either early Roman or 'Roman Provincial' struck at nominally 'independent' city mints on the eastern Med. If they're UK finds, assume the former. The one on the left with a building on it is a 'campgate', a type produced by Constantine I, the guy who made Christianity legal, boiled his wife alive in the bath, and did various other interesting things. It'll have either him or one of his sons on the other side. It celebrated the 'providence of the emperors' in fortifying the empire after its near-collapse in the previous century under attack by various 'barbarians'. The one at bottom left looks late Roman but I can't say more than that. I'd need better pics to get any further.

here's a pic of a nice campgate from the Arles mint.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 21:57:49 by Robert_Brenchley »

undercarriage plan

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 22:41:42 »
Thanks Robert!! Am in Awe! You got all that from my crap pics! Have an ice cream tub full of stuff, and have no idea what it is! Have taken it to museum, but they too busy, if interested have buckles, broaches (I think!) buttons all sorts! Thanks again.
Lottie  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 23:11:32 »
I don't know anything about the other stuff, but coins I'm OK with. Those silvers look quite worn - I can't see what they are - but if you can get better pics I can probably work it out. Pics of both sides make it a lot easier.

I think the silver at top left is medieval. Edward I pennies are the commonest.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 23:13:07 by Robert_Brenchley »

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 23:24:08 »
I have heard that if you put coins in Coka cola it will clean them. I think you should only leave them for 24hrs or the coke starts eating the coins as well.

Mac49

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2005, 00:56:15 »
Imagine what it does to the stomach?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2005, 08:43:33 »
Don't put coins in coke unless you know exactly what you're doing! Coke contains acid - phosphoric if I remember right. That's OK for good silver; I emphasise 'good' because many silver coins are seriously debased, they may only be 20-30% silver. Any acid  eats copper. If you want to clean coins, join the FORVM boards at http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php , there's a whole section devoted to coin cleaning. You won't find a satisfactory chemical way of cleaning copper; believe me, I've tried them all.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 19:22:13 by Robert_Brenchley »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal