Author Topic: raspberries  (Read 1321 times)

Sarah-b

• Acre
raspberries
« on: November 10, 2005, 10:06:56 »
I have just planted 2 rows of raspberry canes into soil that has been manured the last 2 winters. The soil is still very poor and (as Moonbells and Karrot will testify)  EXTREMELY free draining!
One summer fruiting variety and one autumn fruiting.

Could someone advise me what to do next in terms of feeding and mulching (straw??) and should that be now or in spring?

They are already sprouting -= is that OK - or do they think it is spring already?

Thanks,
SB

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: raspberries
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 10:38:44 »
Whatever sort they are, don't expect masses of fruit the first year, and whether or not they are summer or autumn, let them keep their greenery on for as long as possible during that first year, to help build up the plants.
Extracts from other posts:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,13119.msg125509.html#msg125509.
By the way, you will be best to put up posts and wire so you can tie in the canes - otherwise they tend to flop onto the ground, and the slugs get the fruit. Wire at around a foot apart starting at around a foot from the ground.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 10:43:34 »
Already sprouting? Yikes - most canes haven't gone properly dormant yet!

Mine do ok, Sarah, I've got them under the Bramley and they romp away. I have a thicket rather than a row these days, and a freezerful of fruit as a result.

I put potash on them in April, occasionally manure if I've got some and they just go mad. Took a couple of seasons to get going but they're now a jungle and I have problems working out which is summer and which autumn as they sort-of grew into each other when I wasn't looking.

moonbells.
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 16:35:30 »
Is there a good place to order Summer and Autumn canes on line or should I go to a nursery/garden centre? And should I be planting them now!?
The ones I inherited are years old although I have been transplanting run-away canes but very haphazardly.

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 18:52:03 »
Thanks, RosieA  I will investigate those sites

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal