Author Topic: Lawn Aerator  (Read 2073 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Lawn Aerator
« on: October 22, 2005, 21:54:31 »
Not a veg. question, but does anyone have any opinions on these manual machines?
I bought one a year ago and tried it today. Started well - the plugs came out fine -  then the five tines started to block one by one. After many cleaning outs I decided to use it as I used to do it with a garden fork.
It was hard work & I think the garden fork was less work!

Telboy.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Re: Lawn Aerator
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 23:03:28 »
i dont see the point in taking plugs out.  i would block the plus makers up and just use it as a spiker.

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 07:59:23 »
I still use a big old fork...some jobs are just designed to negate the need for gym membership! :)

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 13:55:23 »
I used the hollow plug remover on my old lawn Kept blocking up. Used it last week on my new lawn in new house and it worked fine on the much lighter soil. I think the conditions have to be perfect for the tool to work properly. They do tent to clog if the ground is at all sticky.
I think the grass is greatly improved with the ghard work on my old lawn I used to fill the plug holes with sharp sand only. This graetly improved drainage and the lawn was much better in the summer and autumn with little or no moss at all.
Good luck
Chriszog

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 22:43:29 »
Must admit that the lawn I used the hollow tined fork on is now looking very fit!
I raked in a good layer of 50:50 shredded farm manure/sharp sand.
Trouble is, with this crazy mild weather, it'll need cutting again!!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal