Author Topic: Leaf Mould  (Read 3838 times)

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Leaf Mould
« on: September 17, 2005, 19:01:29 »
Don’t forget this years leaf harvest for making leaf mould. Today I opened my bags from last year to add to the beds at home. 5 bin liners of leaves collected 12 months ago have broken down to a barrow full of mould.

Lovely dark crumbly leaf mould.

I collected them last year, put into black bin liners, poked a few holes in the bag and pushed a hose pipe into each bag until the leaves were soaked through.

These then got put in a dark corner and forgotten about, until today to use the results:

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Leaf Mould
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 01:36:14 »
Lovely, I could just put that in a sandwich  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 09:31:43 »
Thanks for reminder!!! I've got some tucked away at the back of garage, that looks lovely, Jerry, and don't forget pickle in sarnie MT.... :P Lottie ;D

Vony

• Acre
Re: Leaf Mold
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 06:14:37 »
I'm surrounded by Oak Trees and find that  the leaves  take  two or maybe three years to rot down, when left on my compost heap, I shall have to try it your way.
Vony
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 18:37:37 by Vony »

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 07:55:59 »
Thanks for the reminder

MikeB

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 19:35:51 »
I made my leaf mould bin too tall now I can't get in it to inspect it 

silly Wardy ;D

Every year I ask the school next door if I can rake up their leaves. For nowt. Bags and bags of 'em. They think I'm crazy... but the effect of leaf mould on my soil reminds me I haven't totally lost it!
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 19:05:11 »
If anybody asks that at my school then I am afraid the answer is no - the leaves that fall off our trees are already booked.  Also told people in my street that I would 'dispose' of their leaves for them and my in-laws have big gardens surrounded by trees.  I am hoping for about 20 plus bags this year as I need a lot more soil and I will also use the bags as weed suppressors as the leaves rot down.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 07:58:07 »
Oooooooo ::) Like that idea....maybe I could walk the streets round the village collecting leaves, stop everyone slipping on the ones on pavements and collect for my own bags...a win win for both myself and the community!!!!

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 21:08:55 »
My neighbour thinks i'm mad....Last year I was moaning about the leaves in our street and this year i'm collecting them and asked for his bag he raked up....

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 08:22:45 »
You are right, Wardy...BUT   the nice local authority people do bag it all up and leave it for us, and for that alone I would forgive the dog poo and crisp packets, cos after a year or so it's really just the crisp packets that remain.

Yesterday collected 15 bags courtesy of Kingston Council, one from Richmond, and 3 from Brent - bags all different colours! Made me wish I had a lorry rather than a honda crv as I had to leave hundreds of bags sitting there before going to leaf heaven.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 08:52:17 »
Be very careful of the street collected leaves with dog muck mixed in, the rotting down of the leaves generates no heat, and if worm cysts are present they can survive up to seven years in the soil and still infect you. So stay away from contaminated leaves as you have no idea who's dog muck you are dealing with, not everyone worms there dog, as I know to my cost.

Brian

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 18:57:58 »
I've developed a contaminated leaf checker. All you have to do is attach it to the exhaust of your car and have someone sitting in it revving the engine to maximum.  Added bonus is, I'm selling for just £1 a unit.
You can only do one leaf every 3 minutes, but, eh! This is only the beta model.
How many does you want, folks?

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 19:18:09 »
Does that include a built in deodouriser Kenkew?  ;D

Derekthefox :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal