Author Topic: Squirrels  (Read 5437 times)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Squirrels
« on: October 24, 2005, 19:19:00 »
Just in case you don't follow the 'pests' page!!  ......

any suggestions of how to be rid of the little b*****s?

I DID have some fabulous pots of bulbs coming through.

think I have taken up shares in netting for pots!

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Squirrels
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 21:45:59 »
I bet they'd eat rat poison.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 23:50:50 »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 21:38:30 »
I bet they'd eat rat poison.

The difficulty is keeping it away from birds, Robert. It's better to use poisoned shelled (i.e., in a shell, such as hazel nut) nuts a/c a pest controller I spoke to about this.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 09:08:28 »
If you put a layer of gravel on your pots of bulbs that is enough to stop the squirrels digging them up & is a bit easier than using netting & looks nice.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 22:00:32 »
Sorry, Beejay - not for my squirrels. Little so-and-sos go straight through an inch of gravel.....  :(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 23:49:14 »
The difficulty is keeping it away from birds, Robert. It's better to use poisoned shelled (i.e., in a shell, such as hazel nut) nuts a/c a pest controller I spoke to about this.

What do you put on the nuts? The only birds I have visiting which I would have thought would be likely to eat a seed the size of corn are pigeons, and I wouldn't have any qualms of conscience about killing the bastard things. I usually have poison under my hives in winter; I wouldn't think it would attract birds there, but I could well imagine a squirrel getting some.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 12:41:10 »
The battle continues!! 

This morning I went outside the front door and my beautiful flower tub of cyclamen, pansies and grasses TOTALLY upside down.

This time I think it was a CAT, I dug out a dead baby pigeon.
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 15:13:05 »
Sorry, Beejay - not for my squirrels. Little so-and-sos go straight through an inch of gravel.....  :(
What a shame. I used to use wire covered in gravel until a Gardening Which trial reckoned gravel on its own was as effective. Since then that's all I've used & (touch wood) so far has worked. Mind you the b*****s are too busy eating the bird table /working out how to get to the sunflower seeds that we try & fail to get out of the way. Must be too bust to make the effort to go through the gravel.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 15:43:08 »
My neighbour has squirrels getting into his roof and driving him barmy.  Ladder coming this afternoon as my husband is going up to block up the hole as my neighbour has no head for heights  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

doc steve

• Half Acre
  • i aint realy here
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 18:22:32 »
just hope the little buggers  are all out  when he blocks the hole :o

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 18:55:29 »
he'll have to rattle his nuts to make sure  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 23:01:56 »
I learn't today that I should treat the soil with any kind of cat deterrant. 

Or even sulphates of amonia.  Perhaps I should ask my husband to take a little trip outside in the dead of night!!!  ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 09:46:04 »
We used to have one that was a rare visitor to the garden (and the bird feeders!) but now its becoming a regular occurence, particularly since we started puting out fat balls for the birds (now discovered squirrels love them too!).

A couple of days though a second squirrel appeared, so now we have 2 coming in an pinching the birds' food.

At the same time we learned that our next door neighbours were putting food out especialy for them. Dont know if this is good or bad (probably bad since it is clearly encouraging them into the gardens more).

OK their antics are entertaining, and their tree borne acrobatics are amazing to watch, but i cant help thinking they are perhaps starting to become a nuisance, denying the birds food either by eating it or by knocking the feeders to the ground where the birds cant find it.

It doesnt help that we have mature pine trees running the length of our estate and forming part of the gardens, providing a the ideal squirrel 'motorway'!

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 14:22:16 »
It's WAR !!!

Today I discovered TWO of the little b******s right inside my mini patio greenhouse.  grrrrr >:( >:( >:(

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 15:34:11 »
Wheras I was watching one with it's mouth stuffed full of bits of lining from my hanging basket - lovely nesting material I'm sure!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 16:31:55 »
I am starting to fall out of love with these 'charming' creatures.

Mine are staerting to collect nuts for their winter stores, but i fear once they have finished with peanuts they will start on my bulbs.

I have just planted garlic and spring bulbs in pots. these have have been coferes with netting in the hope that this will deter the blighters from digging them up.

Strange i am the only one who sees a pproblem in my house. the rest of the family just find them entertaining to watch. GRRRR!

doc steve

• Half Acre
  • i aint realy here
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 20:12:55 »
                                    one of these  will work  almost every time

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2005, 21:49:38 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 09:39:27 »
Doc Steve:

Great ! Love it ! Brilliant idea!

One problem with that (othe than the obvious) is that i am a poor shot and miss - even if the litle blighter walked up a nd tapped me on the shoulder! ;D :D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:41:37 by Garden Cadet »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal