Produce > Edible Plants

Okra/Bhindi/Ladysfinger

<< < (2/2)

budgiebreeder:
Hi Merv! About Cape Gooseberries. I have just bought a packet of seeds .Now I'm a bit anxious about planting them.Can you tell me more about the Rainforest effect, as I only have a medium sized Greenhouse.

merv:
Hey bb.

I have a fairly large Dutch type greenhouse that is soil based. (not flagged and pots)

I put 7 plants in one area and they grew and grew and expanded and expanded.  In the end I just tied the lot of them up, and anchored them into the side of the greenhouse with binder twine.

In an ordinary sized greenhouse, say 8x6 maybe 2 or 3 at most will do depending what else you are growing.

The secret with them is do NOT feed.  They thrive best on poor soil.

I pack my greenhouse to the gills with toms, capsiums chillies and an "exotic" to try; and then stuff in early lettuce, Japanese "White Icicle" radish and another load of Red ones wherever space appears.  I think folk tend to be conservative where space is concerned in the greenhouse...get it in!  After all, it's only got 2 choices.  :)

budgiebreeder:
Thanks for the advice Merv I've written it on the packet in case I forget next Spring.Your Greenhouse sounds like mine packed to the gills.

cleo:
This Okra question intigues me-a `friend` on another site tells me she can get a wonderful crop outside in Belgium(with temporary shelter). I have no reason to disbelieve her and am trying to get hold of some of the seed she uses.

Clearly it will be the best part of a year before I can let you all know if/when I get some and it if works.

Stephan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version