Author Topic: WARNING!!! I am sorry before I start!  (Read 5158 times)

ellkebe

• Hectare
Re: WARNING!!! I am sorry before I start!
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 11:08:05 »
Good for you DJ - I was thinking the same thing as I read Baggy's message.  Perhaps if Baggy could let the group know the list we could divide up the replacements, and maybe add some stuff that was on his wishlist?  Haven't done my ordering yet, so I could certainly stretch to a few extras.

Snail - 'fork' the little so and sos  ;D  Really though, chin up and think of next season  :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 11:26:46 »
Baggy. As the saying goes "The show must go on" especially for your OAP who had things stolen. PLEASE count me in on anything that is required to bring a little bit of sunshine and to let him know it (hopefully) is only a minority of people who deserve the name of SCUM. Please PM me . Lorna.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2005, 12:07:19 »
Guys - you lot are too sweet.  I sent OH down this morning with over 1/2 my pack of aquadulce and he said he nearly cried !  Went on to say he had looked everywhere for them locally (can only get local as he relies on lifts from good hearted friends).  Must admit they are a bit thin on the ground round here.  I know it's his absolute fave as he can freeze one person portions and it was him who recommended it.  If you do have any spares I would pass them onand he can have a full compliment.  He normally does 2 types of b/bean but cant remember the other.  It overwinters if that helps.  Also anything that is 'pensioners' veg - i.e. freezable and does not crop in a huge glut.  I will ask what else got nicked and let you guys know if I cant replace it.
Thanks again - I was welling up too when I saw your posts.     xx
Get with the beat Baggy

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2005, 13:27:30 »
I have just come from my plot, - it is very soggy there today.  I have found there has been another incident, the third in the last month. First had some of my pumpkins stolen and kicked around, then last week had my back fence burnt to a cinder, and this week they have broken into my greenhouse and have obviously been doing a druggy drinky thing there.  There is graffiti smeared inside my greenhouse too and they have trampled some of my leeks.  It does make me nervous every time I go to the plot as I wonder what I will find next, and I live in a comfortable middle class area.  >:( :( busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2005, 15:06:09 »
Hi busy-lizzie. It doesn't appear that "nice areas" or "rough areas" make any difference nowadays. You must be feeling really low, what are these scumbags like?  There doesn't seem  a way out of these problems. I just hope these incidents will not be repeated on your plot. Best wishes to you. Lorna.

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2005, 15:47:38 »
Well I hear they're going to bring back some form of punishment in schools, hope that it includes helping people on allotments!! Especially OAP's on their Saturdays off!!
Now that would be a nice idea, it would also be a way for them to realise the effort that goes in!!
And by the way, Accrington Stanley are going to win the FA Cup!!  ::) ::)

Cheers KevB
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2005, 18:41:25 »
Me too baggy, even us poor students can stretch to a couple of quid for your friend in a situation like this.  I haven't opened my Dobies spinach yet either, not sure if it's too late to sow now though. PM me.

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2005, 19:15:40 »
Baggy - could you possibly give a list of seeds?  I'm new to this (I don't know what aquadulce is!! :-[) and so need a bit of guidance.  I'd hate to order something he couldn't really use/ wrong time of year etc.  I could pm you with a list of what I've got hanging around if that would help, but I'm hoping to do a seed order this weekend with my brother so could add some things then, if you could just give me an idiot's guide to what!!

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2005, 19:40:35 »
Sorry to hear that Snail. Glad you are keeping going though.

Baggy I've pm'd you.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2005, 13:14:21 »
Baggy - have pm'd you a list.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2005, 13:24:29 »
Thank you for your kind comments. I do not normally post things like this but it came to the point where I had enough of my situation and the series of events which have hit me over this year.

I cannot understand what compelse people to commit such mindless and thoughtless acts of vandalism and theft. Still after reading this forum I am not the only person affected by this ever increasing problem. I just feel very sorry for people on here who have also been affected because I know first hand how you must feel. Still there is always next year and plenty of space to put another greenhouse. My main priority is to improve the security on the allotment site and work with the tenents and council to achieve that.

Again thank you all for your kind words.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2005, 15:38:57 »
If anyone gets their council to agree to put fencing up, please try and find out what they're proposing before it gets done. A few years ago, our council gave us 6ft chainlink fencing which is neither use nor ornament. One snip with a pair of pliers and the whole thing can be undone. We've just erected , at our own expense, weldmesh fencing ( and razor wire ) which only costs about the same so should have been the choice in the first place.

For information, 6ft high 3mm thick 50mm x 50mm galvanised weldmesh cost £380 + vat per 100 M, similar sized pvc coated chainlink costs £340 +vat. A large part of the cost of chainlink is the pvc coating which doesn't help security. The weldmesh would require 36 cuts with bolt croppers to come apart.
The razor wire cost £170 +vat per 100m.

So if your council offers to put up chainlink, it's worth finding the extra £47 per 100 M to have them put in weldmesh.

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2005, 15:53:51 »
I hope to have palistrade or secutiry fencing erected on site. Eventually. The council is not funding it. I have to apply for an outside funding.

The_Snail

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2005, 15:58:48 »
I knew nothing about allotments until I found this site and started gardening.

I couldn't believe that people rented land to have their own plots and the first thing that came to my mind was 'are they safe?'

I thought nothing like that in Australia would be safe as 'vacant' land gets vandalised immediately.  Fences & rendered walls get graffiti on them, schools in the evenings and even the bus stations at night get vandalised.  And I imagined what if we had allotments...

Then I thought 'oh, maybe the young people aren't that bad in England'.  I have read previous posts regarding this and have wanted to comment before but have thought maybe I am too naive.

But after reading this post I am so sorry to hear what has happened to you Snail and everyone else that has experienced this.

I just hope it doesn't happen to too many of you allotmenteers. :(

I have seen how much joy you all get from your gardens and it is great to have you soldier on.

Thinking of you all

Anna from Downunder
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2005, 16:06:50 »
Thank You anna  :)

There is one thing I must say it takes a heck of alot to stop me from doing something I love and enjoy! It is a growing problem in this country. A search on this forum using the word vandalism and you will find out that alot of poor alotment holders have had there sheds broken into or even burnt down. They are mindless thugs that cannot understand what pain and upset they are inflicting on the person who has spent alot of time and care on there crops.

I just hope when they grow up and have there own houses and there own gardens that they to have as much vandalism and trouble as they have inflickted on all the plot holders on this forum and many others in this country.

The_Snail

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2005, 18:08:45 »
so sorry to hear someone else with mindless vandals around. glad to hear your not going to give up, not after all your hard work. i sometimes wish i could put up an electric fence and hope they went for a pee against it!!

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2005, 20:27:05 »
So sorry about your trouble.  These scum destroy anything good and decent >:(.  Please try not top get too down hearted or else they have won.  I sincerely wish them a plague of boils ;)
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2005, 04:08:01 »
So sorry ((((snail)))) :'(, glad you hear you are bravely picking up the pieces. Respect! ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal