Author Topic: Globe Artichokes - preparing for winter  (Read 6726 times)

Black Forest Dan

• Quarter Acre
  • who put snow on my breakfast?
Globe Artichokes - preparing for winter
« on: October 20, 2005, 11:20:24 »
I planted 4 globe artichokes this spring, they've grown into strong healthy-looking plants but there's no sign of any flowers this year. They're located in full sun on a slope in good topsoil. Can anybody advise the best way to "put them to bed" for winter? Do I need to trim them down, fleece them....?

It gets pretty cold here in winter, -26°C was the lowest, and we can get quite deep snow; the village allocates a different area of local forest every year, where you can go and collect sackfuls of pine branches to cover senstive plants like roses for the winter season, I guess I should do that for the artichokes... anybody?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 21:58:52 by Black Forest Dan »

chriszog

• Half Acre
Re: Globe Artichokes - preparing for winter
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 11:47:41 »
When they die off I cut mine down to ground level and then cover with a layer of straw. Mine are fine however Ive never had -26 temps. I therefore suggest as much protection as possible. Straw, fleece and an electric blanket?
Regards
Chriszog

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 14:49:25 »
-26 degrees  :o  brrrr!
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

blight

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 15:35:08 »
last year I covered my plants with spruce twigs and straw. all was fine till a cold spell in february (only -12 C,but lasted about a week) killed off the lot)
this year I shall dig mine out, remove the stalk cut the leeaves back and store them
in a clamp filled with peat.

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 17:20:39 »
ooh! globe artichokes! don't mean to hijack the thread but
want some want some want some!
where am i likely to find plants for sale and should i be looking spring or autumn?
(sorry blight :-\)
Tara xx

blight

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 17:37:15 »
why don´t you grow them from seed?
I sowed mine this year beginning of march (windowsill) and  planted them early may.
I then bought some plants from a nursery (different variety) . no better than the homegrown ones.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 17:47:52 »
Agreed. Dead easy from seed! :)
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 18:47:06 »
Yes I would be proud too. I grew mine from seed, they sprouted about 4" tall then rotted away :-[ except for the ones I gave away to a friend :'(. So I was hunting for artichoke slips without success until my kindly lottie neighbours lifted the leaves of their big purple artichokes to reveal ... HEAPS of wee baby artichokes ready to take off! So I have permish to go in with the sharp knife, not sure whether this should be now or in the Spring. Most of my books say Spring. The old chappies all grow theirs from seed too ;) so no help there!

Could you take slips from lottie neighbours who grow 'chokes?
PS these lottie neighbours grow artichokes, but don't eat them    :o  :o  :o  :o
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 18:51:24 by supersprout »

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 19:06:08 »
Seeds of Italy germination rate was a ridiculous 95%+.

You'd have to give away lots of plants - like I did - as they do take up a fair amount of space when established.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 20:13:43 »
PS these lottie neighbours grow artichokes, but don't eat them 

Don't worry Supersprout, I have allotment neighbours who grow rows and rows of every veg and NEVER harvest anything! It just stands there rotting gently...

Globe Artichoke tip: don't let them go to flower in the first year - like I did - or they get tired out and don't make it through the winter... 
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 11:51:57 »
Dave and tara Im moving plots over the next month if when I dig up the chokes i find lots of babies Ill let you know and will send some. I think autumn is the best time to move/plant
Regards

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 22:57:05 »
My artichokes and cardoon have put on so much growth since the summer it looks like an ornamental hedge!!  I have heaped up some compost around the base of the plants, but not covering them as I don't want them to rot, but other than that, I am planning to leave them to their own devices.  I am going to bring some of the cardoon home as it has made such a fabulous architectural plant, I want some in the garden!!

blight

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 18:38:01 »
hi ej,
do you eat your cardoons? we had the first  today.i.e. one of the outer leaves was all we needed for two  big portions.i found them delicious. i blanched mine 3,4 weeks ago with black mulch foil.

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 13:27:15 »
It is the combination of the cold and wet that kills globe artichokes and cardoons over a winter. In Glasgow, there is usually new growth on mine in January which gets killed off in February. I cover mine now with a mini greenhouse, because I think that it is the wet that does most damage.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal