Author Topic: Green Tomatos  (Read 1844 times)

Viks

• Quarter Acre
Green Tomatos
« on: October 14, 2005, 11:04:58 »
Other than Chutneys are there any other ways of using up Green tomatos?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Green Tomatos
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 11:25:55 »
Fried, as at the Whistle Stop café?

As far as I could tell they dipped them in a spiced flour mixture then fried them.

I also have a Mexican recipe which uses green tomatoes, nuts and sunflower seeds to make a sauce to serve with chicken breasts.   It's from a Mexican friend so uses cups to measure.  It's quite easy to do and much can be prepared in advance until the final stage of simmering the chicken again.  I would go easy on the chillies and add tabasco or sambal oelek at the end if needed.

First poach 6 chicken breasts in 4 cups of water with 1/2 a chopped onion, 3 cloves of garlic, 3 sprigs of parslet and 1 tablespoon of salt.   Drain, reserving the stock, and set aside.

For the sauce:-
12 serrano chillies (or more or less according to taste)
1kg green tomatoes
1/4 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 leaf of cos lettuce
1 cup coriander, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup radish leaves, coarsely chopped
1.5 cups unsalted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
1/4 cup unsalted peanuts
2 tbs sunflower oil

Bring a pan of water to the boil and then boil the whole chillies, uncovered, for 8 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and boil about 4 to 5 minutes till they change colour.

Drain and transfer to a blender and wizz with th eonions, garlic, lettuce, coriander and radish leaves.   Set aside.

Dry toast the seeds in a heavy frying pan for about 3 minutes till they start to pop then grind in the blender with the peanuts but no liquid.

Heat the oil in the frying pan and fry the seed and peanut mixture stirring constantly for 2 minutes.  Add the tomato mixture, stirring to break up any lumps, then 2 cups of the reserved chicken stock and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add the poached chicken breasts and simmer for 15 minutes.  Check seasonings and texture and add more stock if the mixture is too thick.

Delish.  Needs a good green salad and/or some crusty bread.
Obxx - Vendée France

Mrs Ava

• Hectare

Viks

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 10:05:29 »
At the weekend I made a green tomato cake and I must confess it was gorgeous. It didn't last 5 minutes, lovely and moist!!!
I thoroughly recomend it, I might make another at the weekend!!

Linda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 14:57:41 »
mmmmm...we've had fried green tomatoes twice this week, and really like them. I have to admit, I didn't like the idea, I couldn't imagine they'd be anything but horrid! Didn't know how to do it, so just fried them gently in a little olive oil until they'd softened and gone a bit brown. They're kind of like aubergine, believe it or not!

Love and compost
linda

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 17:13:15 »
this green tomato recipe fried in oatmeal (thanks Tim for that) or otherwise, sounds great but as I don't grow them, no suitable garden, only lottie and you can't buy them in the shops....I'm not very likely to get the chance of trying it out  :'(  :'(

maybe next year I'll try some up the allotment but I can't get there every day to water them - that's why I've not tried them!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal