Author Topic: BBC2 programme on allotments  (Read 37020 times)

Cat

• Quarter Acre
Re: BBC2 programme on allotments
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2005, 17:08:17 »
I have to say that I am enjoying it too...as a newbie any info is useful. ;)
Sometimes we just need a helping hand!

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2005, 17:17:18 »
I think I'm off home now to catch the next taped episode ;D  Mind you that's only if the VideoPlus has worked!
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

amphibian

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2005, 19:47:53 »
I am in the middle of moving house, and am going to miss it all.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2005, 19:54:33 »
Wardy I'm sure Sting would appreciate a holey cardi in an earthy getting back to nature kind've way. I could start doing a spot of yoga on the plot too.

Delilah it's Simon Mayo who keeps mentioning Sting and then I just can't concentrate anymore!

I do like the guy with the tennis balls on the Welsh plot. I think he's dead canny.

Enjoying the show.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2005, 20:44:44 »
LOL! Maybe it's Sting's plot that the inspector has to keep writing letters about. He's trying to sneak a rainforest in. A mini micro rainforest in a plastic bottle.

Was that fresh beer that bloke (sorry haven't got their names memorised yet)was pouring onto his pumpkin??!! Surely not! I'd rather drink it and then pour it on a bit later. ;)  :)

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2005, 20:57:54 »
TM   Surprise that.  Your not enjoying it.  Just knew you wouldn't some how

Oh Waardyyy...have you got a pod on with me, or what? It's no fun teasing you if you're gonna be a bit of a crotchet...will a  :-* help??

I have to say I thought the programme was pretty lame. Typically whimsical daytime fare. Sorry! :-\

Return of the Old Scrunter ;)

Who said he'd ever gone away >:(?? 

;)
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2005, 21:29:53 »

Mental note to myself : Never stand behind wardy if she is planting
   might be blinded by the light !! :o :o :o ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Heldi that was one heck of a waste of good ale.... I still reckon
   Simons a bit flat at presenting it .In this instance  Flowerdew woulda
   been the man me thinks

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2005, 23:27:47 »
Have you noticed Jaggy I have not said anything about Simon,other than he keeps mentioning Sting.  I am trying to be fair and give him a go and be nice by keeping it buttoned.  :)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 23:29:27 by Heldi »

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2005, 00:31:30 »

Wardy....I have always been rude but never personal !!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2005, 08:41:29 »
I watched both the eps last night and was pleasantly surprised. I am also extrememly narked that I can't remember which celeb does have a lottie (and I know one does!). 

I like the fact that the commentary and explanation was predominantly the allotmenteers and not Mr Mayo, though I didn't like the recaps and trailers in the middle of the programme. Obviously for folk with short attention spans.  Glad I had them recorded so I could fastforward through those bits!

There was a significant bias towards older folk. I wonder if they could only film during the week, so all the younger folk were at work.  And the women situation in Wales - demographically, 30-40y women are the fastest growing group in UK allotments so I'm a bit sad they didn't pick a site where there were some! But then, if there's a 10 year waiting list at the only site filmed where women seem to be socially acceptable, you've got to find someone who put down their name when they were in their 20s.  Unlikely. 

But the Welsh ladies didn't help themselves - I mean, they are all going on about 'It's hard work up a mountain and we just couldn't cope' - argh! It's perfectly possible to cope with a plot - you just have to stop making excuses and get on with it! I coped with a lottie and a bad back for a year! And my plot slopes!  Ah well, social pressures are different there I guess... I'm used to being the DIY/ wallpaperer/ gardener/ car tinkerer in our house.  But I do get mad when folk just accept things 'cos it's the way it's always been done!

Should have come to our lotties. I bet that would have got a rush of plot tidying! We have quite a lot of younger folk now, though the local Horticultural Society is still 99% greyhaired.  Though we don't have the big greenhouses which are perfect for a camera crew to hide in when it rains. 

I just love the different ways folk do things.  The moonplanting lady reminded me greatly of a similar lady at my site,  and the parsnip planting was fun to watch - more ideas for next season!  The plotholders sitting in the shed drinking tea was funny -  I only got my butane gas stove a couple of months ago and wish I'd done it sooner even if it is a pain to carry up there with all the rest of my clobber!  (If we leave them, they walk). 

And I don't know why that chap kept banging on about how expensive the Sárpo (pronounced sharpo) spuds are -  where'd he get them? Mine were just 20p each!! And they're blight resistant not immune!  ::)

Oh yes, the ale. Why on earth didn't they just go to the local hostelry and ask for the drips? That would have done it!

I'm keeping the series.  Have first DVD burned now :)

Sorry this is long!

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2005, 08:56:12 »
I expect they picked the Welsh set of allotments because Jeremy Vine's radio show has a Lottie man there - the one with the spuds.

I don't understand them picking Simon Mayo but I was pleased to here him say he's had his interest tweaked from nil and is now curious.  He may improve but it's a bit like when Fern Britten used to present RSC and didn't know anything about cooking.  Used to drive me bananas and go for the "off" switch.

I also dislike the constant trailing and repetition - wastes good air time when they could be entertaining and informing us.   I am not brain dead and I assume most of those watching because they're interested aren't either.   Can't speak for those who just watch it 'cos it's on.

Chappy with his tennis balls and square dibber is wonderful but did he really buy new tennis balls?  Couldn't he have found some old ones?  Seems a bit extravagant but at least they're bright and hard to lose or miss.

I believe Sting has a country estate with an organic kitchen garden so he probably doesn't need a Lottie so Heldi, don't get your hopes up.

It'll be fun to see if the Highgate Lottie manager does banish the baddies and get in some new blood and I'm very keen to see what happens to the architect and her biodynamic system.   That bit where she fed nettle juice to the braod beans to make them more intelligent was surreal but I'm not sure what the tobacco juice would do for ladybirds.  I hope it just repels the blackfly.

Beer in my garden is strictly rationed for slugs.  Surely it smells awful, pouring it on liberally like that.
Obxx - Vendée France

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2005, 09:12:30 »
Well you guys know that there is one welsh lottie woman out here lol. I and I can hold my own thanks. Our lottie is on a slope too and All I do is face up hill ( less of a strain on the back ). They  should have come and filmed me murdering the brambles lol and proving what a real over grown and un loved lottie looks like.  ;D

Jill  ;)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2005, 09:22:46 »
I expect they picked the Welsh set of allotments because Jeremy Vine's radio show has a Lottie man there - the one with the spuds.

I haven't a clue who Jeremy Vine is...   8)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2005, 13:15:27 »
Enjoying it so far, though I lap up anything about lotties anyway.  Do still wish they had showed some slightly younger people and more gritty women (if you know what I mean) as it tends to annoy me when I hear woman going on about it being a man's domain.  Simon Mayo is doing alright though he does always look frozen. Nice relationship between the Dad film producer and the little girl Ella. Look forward to seeing how things progress.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2005, 14:05:02 »
HI Wardy - I have a deal with OH.  He gets to watch football etc if he does the ironing while it's on.  Been that way ever since we both worked and I did the shopping and cooking and we shared (!) the cleaning.   Hasn't changed now 'cos I do all the DIY and cleaning and thinking up new garden projects.   He's a gem!

Obxx - Vendée France

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2005, 14:27:04 »
<innocent> what's ironing? </innocent>

moonbells

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2005, 14:55:46 »
Oh thanks for reminding me, will watch it this afternoon, have missed the previous ones :'(  This working lark does get in the way of fun stuff! ;D  Had better go and get the kettle on and settle down!!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2005, 15:39:42 »
If anyone out there has missed any at all by the end of next week when it is finished. We will have taped the whole lot. If any of you have a way of copying from our tapes we will send the ones you need to copy as long as we get them back please. ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2005, 16:42:54 »
The little darlings let me catch the last 30 minutes today and I did enjoy it, but then I love looking at other peoples allotments, seeing how they do things.  Good idea with the glass panels shielding the runners from any cold weather, that's an idea I could use on my patent pending blight preventing tomato house!  I love Terry and love listening to him on the Jeremy Vine show.  So funny hearing him digging on the radio!  If someone tuned in and didn't know, they would wonder what the hell was going on!
My only comment would be they go from person to person very quickly, one brief job, then on to the next person....

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2005, 17:47:04 »
So thats why that woman on our site lays her glass along her bean rows!! It all makes perfect sense now! ;D

I did enjoy it, and was very jealous that they all had sheds!! (mine is my car)

Now how many of you ladies (or men) out there keep a mirror and lippy in yours? My mother commented that they all looked a lot posher than I do clothes wise! ;D Bloomin cheek!

We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal