Author Topic: BBC2 programme on allotments  (Read 36966 times)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
Re: BBC2 programme on allotments
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2005, 10:37:03 »
There is an official body - whose name I can't remember - which has panels of listeners and viewers who record every channel they listen to or watch and the figures are updated and correlated as audience figures. .

I used to do this! Turned up in the post one day asking me if I was interested, so I thought "why not?" Mind you, I doubt if I was much help to the programmers - I regularly trashed primetime things like Eastenders and raved about obscure French movies on at 3am!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2005, 11:47:51 »
The following has just appeared on the BBC gardening message boards.   

"We are sorry for any disappointment caused by our decision to take The Big Dig out of the schedule but the programme was not attracting the audience we had hoped for which is possibly due to the time of year and the weather. We are looking to reschedule the programme at a later date at a time when more people will be able to watch it."

Let's hope they have the sense to put it on after dark in winter.

PS Robkb - someone has to speak out for minority interests.  i quite agree about Eastenders but still don't get obscure French films.  I've tried, honest.
Obxx - Vendée France

powerspade

« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2005, 14:30:01 »
I have recieved a email from terry walton thanking everyone for the support to get the Big Dig back on

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2005, 15:46:09 »
Yes, 'The Waltons' - as Anthony (the son) refers to them all - has posted a message on the Kitchen Garden site message board - it's just appeared in my e-mails.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2005, 16:34:44 »
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2005, 16:49:35 »
The BBC would do well to put the programme back on now, whilst we are talking about it.  We can then pass on the word to others and the ratings will sore.  If they leave it 'till next year and advertise as little as they did this time, they will be back to square one.

BRING BACK 'THE BIG DIG' NOW.

After all it, was only to be on for 2 weeks.

Lily  (BIG DIG FAN)
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2005, 17:09:36 »
I think they should show 1 program each week on a friday evening before gardeners world or maybe after closer to spring.

That is my opinion only. I understand the comments suggesting that it should be shown sooner rather than later.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2005, 17:56:24 »
Just read moonbells link
terrible. all underhanded and back door.
Why should more houses be more important than allotments.
Got to house the imigrants I guess.

I thought the council had to re-house allotments within 1 mile if they were taken over? Ours do

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2005, 18:27:56 »
Big Dig was always destined to fail at that time of day and yet evenings are filled with utter dross on TV.  This is a disgrace and I bet they don't ever bring it back. >:(

The only silver lining for me is that our TV aerial has broken so I thought I had been missing it all, but of course I haven't
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

powerspade

« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2005, 07:23:50 »
I was in Pontypridd yesterday evening talking to a pal who works at BBC wales in Cardiff
The Big Dig has been binned  :( >:( :-X

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2005, 09:30:37 »
Did anybody see the slot on 'Inside Out' programme the other night on the ST. Helen's allotments. How it has been totally turned around and now have a waiting list. They have also got communal very raised beds for people with disabilities and in wheelchairs. It looked such a thriving site.

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2005, 13:13:32 »
The Daily Telegraph has also picked up the axeing:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/10/22/nbeeb22.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/10/22/ixhome.html

moonbells

The BBC has been deluged with complaints from disappointed vegetable gardeners after it withdrew its new allotments programme from the schedules after only three weeks.

Hmm. Didn't do their research, did they?

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2005, 20:29:07 »
Why does the quote say 'after only three weeks' - it was in fact only shown for 3 days!!!....I've seen that in print twice at least!

Seems many,many of us didn't want it' pulled' and have protested so if they've really been deluged like the quote says....then surely....

they'll take it 'out of the bin' and bring it back.....let keep demanding it back!!!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2005, 20:36:06 »
The Daily Telegraph has also picked up the axeing:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/10/22/nbeeb22.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/10/22/ixhome.html

moonbells

The BBC has been deluged with complaints from disappointed vegetable gardeners after it withdrew its new allotments programme from the schedules after only three weeks.

Hmm. Didn't do their research, did they?

Can't believe the Telegraph got something wrong.  ::) :)
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2005, 15:13:13 »
When this programme was first announced on this forum I was totally dismayed that I would not be able to watch it as it would be working during the daytime.
Attempts to get it recorded for me failed ...I personally feel that the allotment fraternity are not adequately catered for and this new venture would have been refreshing.

PLEASE let them put it on in the evenings ..perhaps they have not yet realised that allotmenteering is NOT retricted to the retired

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2005, 16:26:48 »
Was that any of you on Points of View then?

Clear statement from the BBC about rescheduling when we can actually watch it.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2005, 16:33:02 »
They havn't set a date yet for it to be reshown. But it is going to be on AT WEEKENDS. When MOST of us are probably at our lotties any way.  ::) ::) ::). At least during the week would be better. Some where between 7 & 8 would be great wouldn't it ?

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2005, 21:19:15 »
I was out today - was it mentioned on Points of View then??

I won't  mind what time or when it comes on either as long as it does - as long as I know so I can set my video up  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal