Author Topic: white cabbage butterfly  (Read 3116 times)

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
white cabbage butterfly
« on: October 08, 2005, 10:53:15 »
Today I made some plastic white butterflies from the sides of an ice-cream container and stuck them on the ends of my bamboo stakes.

Later this afternoon I actually saw one (real) butterfly hit the first decoy in my vege patch, hit the second decoy and then fly away ;) ;)

I wonder if it will really work to keep them away?

When I looked closer at my radishes, the bits of leaves (left) were covered with the green caterpillars and smothered with these things that looked like small black 'droppings'.  I assume they are the eggs??  Anyone know??

One nearby plant was finally killed by aphids (I think) so I finally resorted to the pyrethrium (sp?) and sprayed the radishes.  Do you think it will kill the caterpillars as well?

Also, how long can the (long type of) radishes keep in the ground for?  They are getting quite bit??

Sorry about all the questions, but I do hope the plastic decoy will work as was recommended by the Yates garden book I refer to.

Thanks for any replies

Anna from Downunder :)
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Re: white cabbage butterfly
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 13:06:42 »
Eggs are yellow I think.The black things prob are their droppings ..Radishes dont last too long in ground, as they get bigger they tend to go hollow in middle.
I use Bug clear to kill white fly, catterpillars etc .It used to be called Sybol.cheers Jim
Cheers .. Jim

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 14:24:02 »
My icicle radishes got too woody if I left them to get too big - trial and error really as to how long you can leave them in ground.
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 02:05:29 »
The black things did look like droppings.  It makes sense.

The radishes are protruding 1 inch out of the ground.  They look like they are ready to jump out themselves!!

What is the best way to keep them?

Thankyou
Anna from Downunder :)

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 11:28:49 »
I pulled the (long) radishes out today and they had quite a few roots coming off the bottom & down the sides.

Do they usually have that many roots or do they get more the longer they are in the ground?

PS:  Such a nice bright pink colour my radishes ;D

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 00:33:32 »
In my experience they tend to produce many hair roots just before they are about to bolt. The same holds true for carrots too.

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 02:31:33 »
Wow, I picked them just in time! ;D

sussexcliff

• Not So New ...
  • It's not shirt sleeve weather at the moment!
    • And I work (when I'm not at the allotment) at
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 17:41:02 »
The little buggers have caused caterpillars on my Hero's. Squashed them all. Do I assume Cabbage Whites have a go at other brassicas?

And something's eaten all my White Clover and the the tops of the latest row of radishes.

Hey Ho
Cheers
cliff
Just muddling along, trying various crops, styles etc, will repeat what works. Will try again what doesn't!!
Photo is of me ballet dancing or is it watering the strawberries?

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 19:11:32 »
Cover your Cabbages with netting to stop the cabage white from laying its eggs on the plants. Also its stops the pescky wood pigeons from munching your cabages.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 19:36:43 »
Yo, I have never grown brassica successfully but this year invested in a giant roll of netting to keep off the beasties & pegged it down around the brassica beds. Well worth the investment, although the broccoli bust out of the nets in Sept, but most of the butterflies had buttered off by then ::) These pix were taken in September. I think the netting will last ages if looked after. One of my good decisions! ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 20:16:02 »
Great! But let's all be clear about the difference between netting, fleece & the 2 grades of mesh?? BIG difference.

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 08:06:33 »
Tim could you please explain the difference?

Thanks

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 14:08:54 »
whoops, mine is enviromesh not netting :-[. Got a gurt big roll and hid it under the broccoli, cut off a length as required.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal