Author Topic: Amaryllis  (Read 4144 times)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Amaryllis
« on: October 03, 2005, 13:05:15 »
Please will somebody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Two years ago, I was given a real beauty.  It flowered to perfection at Christmas. 

But there have been no blooms since  :'(

I always put it outside during the summer in the shade house.  It produced lovely thick healthy straps, it seemed vet happy there and looked good!

What do I need to do now to get it to flower again?  Does it have to be dried out?  :-\
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Amaryllis
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 18:32:05 »
Extract from net:

The bulbs must be at least 18 cm in circumference and kept warm (20°C to 24°C) temperatures for 9 to 10 months to ensure flowering and vegetative growth, followed by 2 to 3 months of either cool (10°C) dry storage or cool (12°C) growing conditions to promote re-flowering of the bulb.

Loads more info at:
http://www.yourgarden.com/article/general/amaryllis/eng/amaryllis.htm
best of luck.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 20:17:03 »
Thank you for the link Jen, it's terrific, lots for me to read.

I have put my bulbs into the very cold spare room!! :D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 21:56:03 »
They don't need to be warm for as long as Jenny's extract suggests - I keep them in a spare unheated bedroom when not flowering. They do need a period of cool, though. You might also try feeding them if you haven't; my best results were when they were semi-neglected on a hot south-facing windowsill at work, when I was giving away offshoots every year.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 22:47:44 »
I bung mine outside after they have finished flowering and forget about them!  Then they move into the greenhouse as the weather starts to turn (they went in last weekend), just to give them a touch of protection, then in November time, they will come into my heated conservatory where I will love them again and feed them and they will flower their little socks off in time for Chrimble!  ;D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 22:50:36 »
oh my, I will be busy!

thank you ladies :D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 10:59:30 »
Do you think it would be better to separate the small side bulb from the parent too? :-\

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 00:30:17 »
If it comes easily, yes - it will grow on happily in a separate pot. Let the break dry for a few minutes before potting either, and keep the sap off ypur hands - some people react to it.

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 08:08:45 »
I found forgetting about them completly then finding them on a shelf 8 months later the most effective way of encouraging blooms in second, third etc seasons....if I pay them any attention at all after first flowering, I get a bunch of leaves only.....

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 16:06:07 »
Well I got it wrong again!  :(  Lovely leaves, no blooms!

Extract from net:

The bulbs must be at least 18 cm in circumference and kept warm (20°C to 24°C) temperatures for 9 to 10 months to ensure flowering and vegetative growth, followed by 2 to 3 months of either cool (10°C) dry storage or cool (12°C) growing conditions to promote re-flowering of the bulb.

Loads more info at:
http://www.yourgarden.com/article/general/amaryllis/eng/amaryllis.htm
best of luck.

Jenny I think I will have to buy it a thermometre!!!!! ;)

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 00:43:00 »
Don't give up yet - mine currently have leaves and no buds. One thing I forgot to mention is that the bulbs' flowering season can drift - although mine started as Xmas, som are now (16 years later) flowering in April.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 10:29:04 »

i've got a long way to go then ::)
i got this for christmas...........will it ever flower? ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 18:17:50 »
I brought mine into the sitting room one week before Christmas.  They had been in the porch, it faces north/west so quite cold.

Leaves now 18" long, and growing ???   It would be good to think it might flower too, but I always thought they did one thing or the other!!   :-\

lottief

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 18:57:51 »
Hi,  would anyone know if it is too late to plant bulbs?  I bought some ages ago and didn't get around to putting them in... If it is OK, what sort of compost do they like?

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 21:19:11 »
What bulbs are you talking of? Tulips, lilies???? Inside or outside bulbs???? :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 21:54:08 »
Bung them in. They may have been weakened by being left out of the ground for a long time, but if they're still viable, they'll grow, and recover their strength.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 14:04:20 »
Woohoo!!

There is a bud appeared at the base of the now 24" leaves!!   ;D

Wonders never cease!

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 17:00:22 »
We're all waiting for the pictures of the open flower  ;D

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 17:41:58 »
Right, got two healthy looking amaryllis bulbs and some potting compost.  All ready to "bung in" as soon as I've found pots the right size.  Hopefully it'll be a case of last but not least...

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 18:01:03 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Race you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal