Author Topic: what causes leek rot?  (Read 10480 times)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
what causes leek rot?
« on: October 01, 2005, 10:58:43 »
I thought I had leeks being massacred by leek moth.  Now someone has told me its leek rot.  Are they one and the same and if not what causes the rot and can that be prevented?
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: what causes leek rot?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 11:18:33 »
Neck rot, root rot or white rot??!!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 15:08:01 »
ermmmmmmmmm  definately not white rot.    The leeks go very slimy and horrible inside,  that spreads outwards and i guess down until the leek flops over and is dead.    When I tried to pull one out it just falls appart although the root seems quite solid.

It also stinks very strongly of onion to the point it makes me almost gag and i can't bring myself to touch the slimey mess. 

Is that neck rot?
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 17:17:47 »
Last season end I had a weird leek which went bright yellow and squelchy and I enquired of the RHS at Wisley to see what they said. This was my reply, and I suspect it might apply to your problem too!

"Many thanks for your email.  Leeks are prone to certain virus diseases and these may be involved.  This is of no significance unless you intend to propagate from this plant, as remaining leek crops will soon be discarded.  Viruses will not lurk to infest following crops.

Sometimes yellowing involves root disease or disorder - again there is no cause for concern as such diseases and disorders will probably not infest subsequent crops.  White rot is another matter.

White rot requires warm soil and will show up in summer.  Your leeks seem to have been fine until now, so it is more likely that other causes are involved.

It is certainly prudent to discard this leek complete with roots and adjacent soil, but there is no need to undertake other, more drastic,  measures.

We would be happy to examine samples of course, but I don't feel there is cause for concern just yet.

I hope this helps.
"

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 10:38:34 »
Thanks moonbells - good info but they are not yellowing so sounds like a different issue  :(

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 16:53:13 »
Thanks moonbells - good info but they are not yellowing so sounds like a different issue  :(

The comments on leeks being prone to viruses was what I was driving at. It sounds to me like they've got a virus which is causing the collapse of their cell walls, and hopefully it shouldn't persist in the soil till next year or next time the rotation works its way round to that part of the lottie.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 21:14:53 »
oic - feel free to give a me a slap and bring me round so I can get the point!!!!  Yes,  you may be right there.  Thanks again

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 00:28:15 »
Hi Icyberjunkie,
                         Your leek problem may be due to excessive dampness/poor drainage of the soil in conjunction with the leeks being planted to close together.

I don't know what the soil condition is like where your leeks are planted, but it may be a possible causal factor.

PREMTAL

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 07:22:32 »
Well, that was a failure - tried my link below & the only thing they don't list is leeks!!

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 10:31:27 »
I would go for secondary infection by a bacteria. Something (aphids, leaf hoppers-even you! etc.) will have caused initial physical damage and bacterial spores in the atomsphere will have infested the damaged cells, causing them to rot.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 13:36:54 »
Would advice be not to cut them back then as I was orginally advised by someone on the allotments?!   

The soil is excellent.  Humous rich,  free draining, crumbly texture so I don't think water logging is an issue.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 13:37:50 »
Oh,  and thanks for the link Tim.  I tried as well and can only assume they donlt grow leeksin Oregon!

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 07:50:56 »
Icy, did you solve this problem. I get it every year and quite often have to scrap the whole leek crop.

umshamrock

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 18:23:03 »
i have this problem too! last year my leeks were fine though...
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 20:09:53 »
I've had it some years.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 20:50:40 »
Yes but what is it?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 20:54:43 »
A nasty slimy bacterial rot, as far as I can see. I don't know what the bacterium is.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 17:30:05 »
From the symptoms, the guy at the garden centre suggests that it is probably leek smut. Untreatable :( :( :(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 19:11:46 »
The only info on this disease I can find is in the 'Vegetable Expert'. Not my favourite guide, it's far too chemical-oriented.

Black spots and blotches appear on leaves and bulbs. Only young plants are affected - the leaves become thickened and twisted. Leeks are more susceptible than onions.

Treatment: None. Lift and burn infected plants.

Prevention: Do not grow leeks nor [sic] onions on infected land for at least 8 years.

Not very helpful, but it doesn't sound like the rot I've been seeing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal