Author Topic: Polythene as a ground cover  (Read 2863 times)

AndyC

• Not So New ...
Polythene as a ground cover
« on: October 03, 2005, 17:40:08 »
This is a milestone for me; my first stupid question since joining A4A!! ??? ???

I have dug out  a good half of my plot and think I may need some ground cover to put over the dug beds until spring as the old couch grass is a bit persistent.  Some books suggest polythene sheet so the nutrients from manure don't wash awayby spring.  My "neighbour" at the lottie says she puts manure on hers and just leaves it.  A supplier I rang for prices said polythene "turns your soil sour".  So, I am confused :-\  To cover or not to cover?  What does "sour soil" mean?  If I do need polythene, does anyone know a good supplier of ground cover who does it cheap?

Cheers for any advice you can give me.  (Actually that was three stupid questions in the end wasn't it) ;D

Andy
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Polythene as a ground cover
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 17:46:43 »
Am no expert, a newbie myself, but think that you may be better with cardboard or proper anti weed sheeting ( would have said weed suppressant, but cant spell it!).
This stuff allows moisture through, but still excludes light, which is what kills the weeds.

I have had it on half my plot since June and its amazing how much weed has died. If you have already dug it over it would be a shame to see all that work dissappear under a coat of weeds!!

Good luck!!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 18:53:00 »
If you have heavy clay soil, putting polythene sheet that can't "breathe" onto it will kill weeds, or prevent them re-emerging.
But it can also lead to anerobic decomposition of organic matter in the soil ( no oxygen so when it rots, it smells bad and you'll get a build up od acidic compounds, hence the term sour) if the sheet is left on for ages and the soil is prone to waterlogging. If you have light soil, it won't be such a problem.
Cheapest supplier seems to be N.A.Kays Horticultural - get the strongest quality you can afford (woven) ( PGC2X100)
 https://secure.mmm.co.uk/cgi-bin/site-editor.pl/14/-ecommerce?eid=302512&action=category&category=Plant%20Protection%20and%20Support%5cGround%20Cover%20and%20Mulching%20Fabrics&offset=21
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 18:54:45 by jennym »

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 20:32:26 »
Excellent advice, thanks for that

Andy :)
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 20:41:52 »
Another web site for black sheet mulch (which is a woven fabric) is SmithnJones or  Allplaz   This stuff is very strong and can be used to make paths as it's capable of being walked on.  You can put shredded bark on it etc to make it look more elegant if you wish

It's expensive stuff so use it wisely and keep it away from bonfies or you end up with it looking like lace curtain (like mine grrr)

It will just keep weeds off your manured bed but allow the rain through.  There will be plenty of worm activity under it which will help incorporate the manure into your beds.  You can use it again and again.  I'm using it to suppress weeds on my plot and some has been in place since last Novemberish  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

dicky

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 00:47:58 »
i covered mine plastic sheet that was damp proof membrane. Sounds like it might an idea to roll it back every now and a gain and chuck some water on it.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 12:18:56 »
I got my woven stuff from lbs direct.  10% off first order and free secateurs.  Postage was cheap too.  Dont know if it was a bargain but less than £50 for 100m.
Get with the beat Baggy

martinxxxxxx

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 14:11:38 »
I'd go with the cardboard, it is cheap (free) and works

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal