Author Topic: copper round raised beds  (Read 2109 times)

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
copper round raised beds
« on: October 16, 2005, 13:45:51 »
read an article in kitchen garden mag about making a cold frame with copper round the bottom to deter slugs - does this work? and if so would it work on raised beds? thought I might have a go at one but have no idea how expensive it might be - anyone tried it?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: copper round raised beds
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 14:51:11 »
I put copper piping, (odds obtained from my plumber friend) around my runners, seemed to keep them off, mind you I had also surrounded the plants with crushed eggshells as they got my first row I put in >:(
Will be trying it again this year with my delicates! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 19:29:47 »
I used a good wipe of 'yellow paraffin' ( cheap) - petroleum jelly - vaseline - on mine this year & had no slugs.

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 20:12:42 »
Yeah we read that too and were going to build one...til Baz googled for the price of copper sheeting. I can't remember how much it was but it was prohibitive.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 21:56:03 »
I used a good wipe of 'yellow paraffin' ( cheap) - petroleum jelly - vaseline - on mine this year & had no slugs.

Where do you apply it, round the whole bed?

I am gluing rough sandpaper onto my edging boards.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 11:56:23 »
You can get those copper brillo pads from poundland (they look like platelets) and they unravel ok to make a copper razor wire for slugs. Might that be an idea?
Get with the beat Baggy

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 18:13:59 »
thats what we do baggy!
we tend to pull the brillo til it makes a do-nut shape then put each one round a seedling. it DEFINATELY works. we have slugs the size of dogs on our plot and only the kohl rabis with brillos on survived in our experiment!
they don't stop any other pests though.
other types of copper is super expensive, one small sheet more than sixty quid :o
brillo pads are certainly the best way to go!
good luck!
Tara xx

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 18:37:19 »
Try buying 15mm. copper tube at B&Q, and fit it at the top edge of your raised bed using 90' corners, that you can just push in rather than solder. If you then connect it to an old car battery to one terminal, then the other trminal to a piece of tube pushed into the earth, it will repel all slugs & snails. You can even recharge using a small solar panel. It works.

Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal