Author Topic: What sort of compost?  (Read 1281 times)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
What sort of compost?
« on: September 26, 2005, 13:50:47 »
Hello, I have

Lettuces to sow - what sort of compost? They will be left in there as they are the pick you out kind.

All other veg seed? suitable compost to use.

Herbs? Again which to use.

I looked round and round on Friday looking at bags of compost and didn't really know which one to go for. The cheapest the better for me but I want my stuff to grow too.

Many thanks RR

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: What sort of compost?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 13:55:01 »
I always use peat-free compost due to the environmental damage caused by peat digging.

I just use normal peat-free compost for sowing all seeds. You can mix it with vermiculite to improve the drainage and texture, especially good for things that don't like being wet like herbs. Also well worth sieving it to get rid of chunky bits.
gone to pot :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 14:02:03 »
Rosy are you growing out in the garden or lotty or in containers?  If containers then growbag is fine for lettuce.  if in garden your soil will do - just crumbled up a bit to get a fine top surface for seed sowing
I came, I saw, I composted

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 14:21:26 »
Wanted to grow some salad leaves also for when i sow my carrots and beetroot. My salad leaves i'm going to container grow and carrotts will go in ground later or is it best to sow carrotts straight in allotment soil?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 21:44:11 »
Carrots will grow in a container which will help keep slugs off them. I;ve just sown some on the lotty  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal