Author Topic: sweetcorn reccomendation  (Read 4842 times)

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
sweetcorn reccomendation
« on: September 20, 2005, 21:24:35 »
which variety of sweetcorn would you reccomend for sweetness of taste AND weather resistance??  i figured those in the know should be harvesting theirs now!
It'll be better next year

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: sweetcorn reccomendation
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 03:01:45 »
Marshalls "Xtrasweet improved" every time.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 07:23:52 »
Don't know about 'normal' sweetcorn but I grew the mini stir-fry size corn this year.  Variety 'minipop' and they are great.  The kids were eating them like sweets!

Will watch with interest though for planning to grow some full size cobs next year
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 08:36:25 »
My great experience goe to two varieties - the supersweet Ovation F1 AGM and tenderweet Lark F1. The Ovation gave great cobs in 2003 (the hot one) but only one per plant and pretty so-so last year.  Actually pretty dreadful last year - got a small bagful of niblets and no usable corn on the cob.

This year (again a bit so-so) I grew the Lark and got multiple cobs: would have been even better had I watered them as some were pollinated but not very plump but those that worked were fantastic and we ate loads of them before they even got near the freezer!

Both are sugar enhanced and you don't have to sprint to the pot or freezer once you've picked them. Ovation you have to grow away from other varieties but Lark you don't.  Both are nice tasting  - Ovation perhaps has the slight sweet edge, but Lark's much easier to bite into. Will grow Lark again next year.

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Jessie

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 11:18:17 »
Looking through the show section the ones called "Conqueror" look very nice.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 16:03:59 by *crazy*daisy* »

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 14:42:52 »
Not really in the know, and it's the first year I've grown them, but I'm having good results with both 'Indian Summer' and 'Two's Sweeter' right now.

Most plants have two cobs, even though they were slow to get started (due to me not really knowing how to grow them)  ;) , and the taste from both is absolutely delicious.

Of course, all I have to compare them to is shop bought stuff, but even so.....
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 15:07:53 »
Apart from choosing varieties, I've found that if you earth them up around the stem from when they are about a foot high, you get better results.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 18:08:12 »
Thank you jennym, I will remember to do that next year. I only grow Kelvedon Glory because I grow so many, about 100 plants, and so buy a grower's pack from Kings.

Derekthefox :D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 19:03:09 »
Prelude, it's very good

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 19:48:18 »
Because of success last year (Mr Fothergill's Supersweet) this year I grew two different super sweet varieties from Kings and tho they have turned out well they are not quite as abundant or consistently large as Mr Fothergill's so next year I'm back with good old Mr F.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

adam13

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 20:24:14 »
i find sweetcorn minipop the best loads for sale on ebay thats where i got mine from

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 23:19:55 »
thanks for all the recs and advice....now to order...
It'll be better next year

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 15:01:05 »
Can't remember which variety I grew the first year with the plot - it was wonderful, though not sure about eating 10+ cobs on one evening while clearing the patch!! Think there were 16 plants..
Last year, went with VidaVerde - Ashworths? Harvested in total 6 kernels (or so)!!!
This year, went for Double Standard - still not harvesting, though the cobs are there.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 15:06:50 »
I grew Kelvedon Glory this year - really really tasty. Most where completely full of plump kernels. Only a couple of cobs were blanks - the ones on the edge of the block.

Two years ago (all the plants died last year) I grew a variety that I can't remember the name of (might have been sundance?) it was also delicious. I have a theory that homegrown sweetcorn cannot taste bad to me!
gone to pot :D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 15:24:46 »
You are definitely right there Aqui, sweetcorn fresh off the plant cannot be beaten for taste. I used to barbeque them for my breakfast some mornings when on the plot, delicious!

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 23:17:41 »
F1 Earlibird was all harvested a month ago. Incredibly sweet and stays so for a week after picking. I go fo the early type in case of a bad summer.

hemajo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 19:31:22 »
You are definitely right there Aqui, sweetcorn fresh off the plant cannot be beaten for taste. I used to barbeque them for my breakfast some mornings when on the plot, delicious!

How do you bbq them? The thought of bbq'd sweetcorn is mouthwatering :) I've only ever boiled them.  I'm planning to grow them next year.  I've found a sunny sheltered spot for them and have just about managed to get out the roots of some very established apple mint.  Manure on now to rot in over winter.  Bought my seed from alanromans - two's sweeter.  2 packet of 25 seeds for £1 :)
Helen

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 19:37:42 »
Same as you would to grill them.  Either drizzle with olive oil or rub with softened butter and over the BBQ they go until just bronzing - a sign that some luverly caramelisation has started..yum.
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

hemajo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005, 19:41:13 »
And I've got to wait a whole year to try bbq'd sweetcorn!!!  I'll have to get some from Tesco's in the meantime ;)
Helen

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2005, 21:03:45 »
Had a chew of a stalk as well - even that tasted quite nice.  Felt a bit like a panda.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal